Scanner over pricing laws

Time2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I recently bought a 2500 count box of printer paper, it was $14.xx, I contemplated the 5000 count box, but it was not that much cheaper per page and not worth storing the extra paper. When I went through self check out, the price was $27.xx. I caught it immediately and complained. I was sent back to stationary for repricing, they repriced my box, but I saw no movement to reprice all the other boxes on the shelf. I have to wonder how many people paid almost double and didn't notice.

I like the Michigan store price scanner law, The reimbursement has actually doubled since I lived there.

You are entitled to receive the difference between the displayed price and what you were charged, plus additional compensation ("bonus") of ten times the difference.

https://www.michigan.gov/ag/consume...erts/consumer-alerts/shopping/scanner-law-act

When we lived in Michigan, my wife always checked her receipts (still does) and I was amazed how often she got the bonus, (it was 5X back when we lived in Michigan)

Anyone live in a state with similar scanner laws?

This would kill every Walmart I have shopped in. I bet at least 5% of the shelf tags are wrong in their stores.

I like the Michigan store price scanner law, The reimbursement has actually doubled since I lived there.

You are entitled to receive the difference between the displayed price and what you were charged, plus additional compensation ("bonus") of ten times the difference.

But the problem with the MI law is that they cap the payout at $5 and this is not inflation adjusted. I would really like to see the cap raised so that the 5x or 10x multiplier would actually mean something.

But the problem with the MI law is that they cap the payout at $5 and this is not inflation adjusted. I would really like to see the cap raised so that the 5x or 10x multiplier would actually mean something.

I don't disagree with that! I would have walked out with $150+ if there was an unrestricted 10X on my paper purchase.

Whatever the compensation due for scanner over-pricing should never be a burden to the customer. It should be handled at time of sale. No need to call a manager or elaborate rigamarole.

Also, I'm not looking for a pound of flesh, but the amount should be enough that someone goes to the items in question and checks/fixes them as soon as you are out the door with your compensation.

I don't think there is a law about it here, but I've had Kroger give me anything that doesn't scan correctly for free.

Publix gives one free (not 10):

"Our Publix Promise guarantees that if during checkout, the scanned price of an item (excluding alcohol and tobacco products) exceeds the shelf price or advertised price, we will give the customer one of that item free. We will charge the lower price for the remaining items."

Publix gives one free (not 10):

"Our Publix Promise guarantees that if during checkout, the scanned price of an item (excluding alcohol and tobacco products) exceeds the shelf price or advertised price, we will give the customer one of that item free. We will charge the lower price for the remaining items."

That seems reasonable. No huge punishment for Publix, but a fair resolution that makes the customer more than whole and incentivizes Publix to keep their scanner prices up to date.

Hmmm, I wonder what would happen to a recent purchase I did at HEB...

They had a sign for the net price after coupon at $4.98... the regular price is $6.98... but the coupon if $2 off if you buy TWO...

In reality the net is $5.98... I mentioned it to the clerk but not sure what was done... I said knew that the price shown was wrong and did not need anything done for me but to fix the sign..

The grocery store near me is bad. . . I have nearly quit going and shop elsewhere.

Does anybody remember the movie My Blue Heaven where opportunistic Vinnie (played by a very young Steve Martin) finds the hand price tag machine the grocery stores used to put price tags on each item? After some repricing of his own, he ends up buying a grocery cart full of meat at about 29¢ a package.

Now we have the opposite, happening. I rarely see the price mistake going in the "to low" direction.

Now we have the opposite, happening. I rarely see the price mistake going in the "to low" direction.

This happened to me some years back, at a Micro Center computer store. I recall a couple of computer power supplies that showing up for 10% of what the shelf price was. The cashier did not notice, but I brought it to her attention. She contacted the manager, who went away, checked, and said yes, we made an error in the scanner prices, it should be 10x of what rang up. However, to thank me for bring it to their attention, they let me purchase the items at the lower price.

For over pricing, I am not looking for any special compensation, I just want the item at the correct price. Most stores here will take my word for it and the staff just modifies the price at the register without sending someone back to the shelves for a price check.

This happened to me some years back, at a Micro Center computer store. I recall a couple of computer power supplies that showing up for 10% of what the shelf price was. The cashier did not notice, but I brought it to her attention. She contacted the manager, who went away, checked, and said yes, we made an error in the scanner prices, it should be 10x of what rang up. However, to thank me for bring it to their attention, they let me purchase the items at the lower price.

For over pricing, I am not looking for any special compensation, I just want the item at the correct price. Most stores here will take my word for it and the staff just modifies the price at the register without sending someone back to the shelves for a price check.

The store I mentioned above that I have nearly quit does not believe you and rings it up then sends you to customer service (another wait in line) for an adjustment. I haven't had any issue with them making a fix. I just feel like they should be more accurate in the first place.

Does anybody remember the movie My Blue Heaven where opportunistic Vinnie (played by a very young Steve Martin) finds the hand price tag machine the grocery stores used to put price tags on each item? After some repricing of his own, he ends up buying a grocery cart full of meat at about 29¢ a package.

Had a pound of sea scallops ring up for $0.52. Checker caught it and sent it back to the seafood department. Explained that they’ve had trouble with their scale recently.

Back
Top Bottom