Home Covid Testing

Americans are less likely to install contact tracing apps and enabling them.

I appreciate that, but maybe they should require visitors to places, including restaurants, bars and cafes to log in when they enter. Not nearly as accurate or convenient as using an app to check into places but it would give the test and trace teams something to work on when they ask someone with Covid who they have been in contact with and which establishments they have been in recently.

Americans are less likely to install contact tracing apps and enabling them.

Also, no national apps, just a patchwork of different apps by different county departments, with many counties and states not offering any apps.

We have the app in NC where I live and I have downloaded it but I think very few people have done so.

I was probably exposed to Covid this week, along with DH and DS. Our exposure was fairly limited. We were in the same room, but at a fair distance, and we masked as much as possible.

We have all arranged for testing at 5-7 days. Spaces were limited, so I started searching for home test kits to have on hand just in case.

Walmart online said they had them in my local store. When I went, they were not in that aisle. I found a labeled shelf space that looked empty. But it was the bottom shelf and way in the back, hidden.

Someone in the same exposure texted me about rapid test kits. I described my experience. She went to a different Walmart and found them way in the back, on the bottom.

So be aware that Walmart likes to hide its Covid test kits!

Order pickup worked very well for me with Walmart. No searching in the store. They eagerly brought it out to the car.

I do my dog and cat food order at Walmart grocery pick up and love it. Just drive up at my scheduled time and they load it in the back for me.
No more struggling to shove a 50lb bag of dog food into the back of my SUV, they do it for me. Great service and a couple of time I end up with free stuff that somehow got pulled with my order. When you call them, they never want it back. I still have 50 diabetic test strips that I've tried to give away and no one wants.

I appreciate that, but maybe they should require visitors to places, including restaurants, bars and cafes to log in when they enter.

Good point, but I think it needs to be online as well. When I visited Maine in May of this year they were very strict about it but every restaurant simply wanted me to write my name, address and phone number on a sheet of paper they handed me on a clipboard. I'm very skeptical as to what ever happened to those sheets of paper.

Your UK operation seems to be very well done, and I wish we could have something like it here.

Good point, but I think it needs to be online as well. When I visited Maine in May of this year they were very strict about it but every restaurant simply wanted me to write my name, address and phone number on a sheet of paper they handed me on a clipboard. I'm very skeptical as to what ever happened to those sheets of paper.

Your UK operation seems to be very well done, and I wish we could have something like it here.

What should happen is that when someone tests positive for Covid they are contacted by a member of the local test and trace team and asked if they can remember who they have been in close contact with and where they have been. If they had been to a restaurant then T&T will contact the restaurant who can at a minimum inform their staff plus send a copy of the log sheet in so T&T can contact the customers who were there at the same time the infectious person was.

I know several friends and relatives who have been through this including our son who reported to T&T and listed us among his contacts. When T&T called we were able to say that we were aware of the situation from our son and were following the guidelines to self isolate. Our phone apps had also alerted us, but since they are anonymous T&T were unaware of this.

Our PCR results came in negative via text at 06:09 am this morning (Sunday). We did our tests yesterday around 2pm so that was only 16 hours which is par for the course around here.

A bit of a generalization. I bought 2 at Walmart last week. Clearly marked. Not hidden. Right where the app said they would be.

I’ve ordered many boxes from Walmart and Sams online with delivery only a few days out.
I’m not hoarding tests-but my son has a family of 5 and I’ve been supplying them when needed.
I think at home testing is definitely part of the keeping safe from Covid solution. Perfect, of course not. But from the experience of close family and friends they are fairly accurate.
I feel better doing an at home test if I am going to spend any length of time indoors with elderly or younger kids who can’t get vaccinated.

I bought a box of 5 rapid antigen tests for 35 CHF ($37.5 USD) at a pharmacy in Switzerland by Roche. Swiss residents get these for free if they ask for them. We got our pre-flight antigen test today and I noticed that they use the same kit from Roche except they use a longer nose swab to reach deep inside the nasal cavity for the pre-flight test.

Last edited:
I bought a box of 5 rapid antigen tests for 35 CHF ($37.5 USD) at a pharmacy in Switzerland by Roche. Swiss residents get these for free if they ask for them. We got our pre-flight antigen test today and I noticed that they use the same kit from Roche except they use a longer nose swab to reach deep inside the nasal cavity for the pre-flight test.

I don't think any home test kits will be accepted for flight boarding unless they're proctored.

I don't think any home test kits will be accepted for flight boarding unless they're proctored.

That is correct. However a Doctor on the other end will charge much more than the testing site we went to for our antigen test. We went to a local vaccination and testing site for our pre-flight test. It cost us 50 CHF (about $54) each for the test and they emailed us the certificate with a QR code about 30 minutes after the test. The PCR test costs 150 CHF but it takes 1-3 days for the results. An expedited PCR test costs 400 CHF with same day results. We bought the home tests for self screening if we feel any symptoms after travel or an event plus they were half the cost of test we could buy in the US.

That is correct. However a Doctor on the other end will charge much more than the testing site we went to for our antigen test. We went to a local vaccination and testing site for our pre-flight test. It cost us 50 CHF (about $54) each for the test and they emailed us the certificate with a QR code about 30 minutes after the test. The PCR test costs 150 CHF but it takes 1-3 days for the results. An expedited PCR test costs 400 CHF with same day results. We bought the home tests for self screening if we feel any symptoms after travel or an event plus they were half the cost of test we could buy in the US.

That's Switzerland.

I went to Switzerland, Chamonix and Annecy in August and September.

I got my test in France, for about 26 Euros.

Then I drove from Annecy to Geneva airport to return my car and fly back and I checked in with the test from Annecy.

I learned that many Annecy residents work in Geneva, like with one of the UN agencies, for a much higher salary than they could get in Annecy. It's about a 45-60 minute drive, though traffic bogged down at the border. No checks they just slowed the cars down with traffic cones that you had to navigate these narrow lanes, after driving like 90-110 kph for most of the drive.

Really appreciate all the info regarding home testing and procuring the kits. I haven't purchased any yet, free testing is readily available here, but I'm taking notes just in case.

Several weeks ago, I stumbled across a little booth that had been placed on a vacant lot with signage touting free COVID testing. The next day I went back (short drive) and pulled in. The booth attendant was sitting in the only car there and she promptly came over, took some info through my car's passenger-side window and administered both the instant and the PCR tests. I got the instant test results within minutes and the PCR test results via email the next day. Both negative.

Rapid 15 minute Antigen Covid Test
Molecular RT-PCR Covid Test

Since then I've noticed a number of these booths around the area. One is in the parking lot of a strip mall where I meet some work buddies for breakfast. It's pretty convenient to stop by then. There has never been a line. This morning there was one car pulled over waiting for their quick test results, but that was it.

I got a flier in today's mail from another outfit called "Trilab." They're actually advertising for customers for their free tests. They show 13 locations within a reasonable drive for me.
This url was given: TrilabCovidTesting.com

It seemed like just yesterday that you couldn't get tested. Now there seems to be over-capacity, at least around here. Or maybe it's lack of demand?

With testing this convenient for DW and I, are we making a mistake not stocking up on the home tests? I'm thinking we should have a few kits in the camper when we head for Florida.

Last edited:
That's Switzerland.

I went to Switzerland, Chamonix and Annecy in August and September.

I got my test in France, for about 26 Euros.

Then I drove from Annecy to Geneva airport to return my car and fly back and I checked in with the test from Annecy.

I learned that many Annecy residents work in Geneva, like with one of the UN agencies, for a much higher salary than they could get in Annecy. It's about a 45-60 minute drive, though traffic bogged down at the border. No checks they just slowed the cars down with traffic cones that you had to navigate these narrow lanes, after driving like 90-110 kph for most of the drive.

Yes many who live in the border villages of France, Austria, and Italy, commute to Switzerland for work because of the higher pay and opportunities.

With testing this convenient for DW and I, are we making a mistake not stocking up on the home tests? I'm thinking we should have a few kits in the camper when we head for Florida.

It's convenient now, but what if there is another outbreak? Lines could then get long. Nonetheless, I think the home tests are cheap enough that it is worth having some at home. IMHO much more convenient, too.

Speaking of which, I see that Sam's Club has the 2 pack for $14.00

https://www.samsclub.com/p/covid-antigen-test-2-self-tests/prod25790850

Even if they required a PCR test, you could get by with spending only $75 (Lucira), but, as you say, they wouldn't accept the result unless some trusted entity watched you stick the swab up your nose and complete all of the steps of the test.

It's convenient now, but what if there is another outbreak? Lines could then get long. Nonetheless, I think the home tests are cheap enough that it is worth having some at home. IMHO much more convenient, too.

Speaking of which, I see that Sam's Club has the 2 pack for $14.00

https://www.samsclub.com/p/covid-antigen-test-2-self-tests/prod25790850

The home test is only the so-called "quick test," right?

BTW, went Tuesday, early evening, and got tested again. This time at a storefront in a nearby mall. We walked in and the attendant was the only person there. We filled out a short form on our phones and submitted it and a code was returned. We gave the code to the attendant who ran us through the tests. The quick test was immediately available and negative. We got the PCR negative test results via email Wednesday afternoon about 20 hours after shoving those "thingies" up our nostrils and twisting five times.

So, it's still real convenient to get tested free here. And you do the more reliable PCR test at the same time (but wait overnight for results). But I agree, something could happen to clog up the queues at these places and create lines so I will pick up a home-use kit or two when at Sam's next week. As long as getting both tests at a testing site continues to be quick and easy, I'll do that. If that situation changes, or while we're traveling, we can use the in-home quick test.

Thanks for your comments.

Last edited:
There is a free mobile PCR clinic a block away from my house on Friday's. Normally you can just walk up and get a test with no wait. This Friday I noticed a long line - probably a thirty minute wait. Yesterday I drove by a PCR test clinic a few blocks away - it had a block long line, mainly young folks. All the talk about Omicron and the visits to home for the holidays appears to be provoking a testing mini-rush.

There is a free mobile PCR clinic a block away from my house on Friday's. Normally you can just walk up and get a test with no wait. This Friday I noticed a long line - probably a thirty minute wait. Yesterday I drove by a PCR test clinic a few blocks away - it had a block long line, mainly young folks. All the talk about Omicron and the visits to home for the holidays appears to be provoking a testing mini-rush.

It’s not just talk. Our ICUs are nearly full. There are more people sick with Covid than this time last year. Not as many deaths-yet. Less than 60% vaccinated, lower number boosted. Kids are in school, concerts are performed. People acting as if Covid is over, getting a cold, then not testing and spreading to others. Not enough mask wearing. Omicron is more contagious than measles.

Getting tested a week before travel is useless, so I doubt it’s travel related. We were exposed the first week in December, the first time we ever knew of an exposure. It was much harder to get an appointment than in September.

It’s not just talk. Our ICUs are nearly full. There are more people sick with Covid than this time last year. Not as many deaths-yet. Less than 60% vaccinated, lower number boosted. Kids are in school, concerts are performed. People acting as if Covid is over, getting a cold, then not testing and spreading to others. Not enough mask wearing. Omicron is more contagious than measles.

Getting tested a week before travel is useless, so I doubt it’s travel related. We were exposed the first week in December, the first time we ever knew of an exposure. It was much harder to get an appointment than in September.

Without boosters, efficacy against Delta and Omicron are low.

And apparently only boosters with mRNA vaccines.

Maybe people who had the Johnson & Johnson vaccines should get a full series of mRNA vaccines, including boosters.

But boosters are mainly effective if you get them like 4-6 months after the second shot.

If you want to see how successful some countries are, look at Japan, they've been around 100 infections a day for the past month, while the US has had 100k or more new cases a day. They're about 1/3 of the US population.

They have higher vaccination rates but other countries have high vaccination rates and they're being hit now, like Denmark and Portugal.

So the difference is probably behavioral. They probably mask reliably, probably avoid situations known to be spreader events.

I ordered several home test kits from WalMart for about $14 for two tests. That's the cheapest I could find them locally. They are going to be Christmas gifts for the children. They will arrive on the Dec 29th which is the 5th day of the 12 Days of Christmas.

It's fun to spread out Christmas giving, even if it's Covid tests. :D

I popped into Walgreen's this afternoon just to see if they had any Binax tests - not a single one to be found on the shelves.

I picked up a couple two weeks ago, and one week ago I thought about picking up a couple more. I should have done so. :(

Back
Top Bottom