Home Covid Testing

I ordered several home test kits from WalMart for about $14 for two tests. That's the cheapest I could find them locally. They are going to be Christmas gifts for the children. They will arrive on the Dec 29th which is the 5th day of the 12 Days of Christmas.

It's fun to spread out Christmas giving, even if it's Covid tests. :D

Did the same thing, same delivery day! Hope they come through. I wasn't able to find them in the store

Just checked the Walmart app at 8 p.m. Eastern time - rapid tests are out of stock? (I searched WM only, no third-party resellers.)

Did the same thing, same delivery day! Hope they come through. I wasn't able to find them in the store

Sometimes I find that people in the medical field don't realize how difficult it may be for the rest of us to access some of these more limited resources. I had a similar problem with the first Covid vaccine shots in early 2021. Nurses I knew kept telling me to get one. They were surprised when I told that finding a site with vaccine was difficult back then. Thankfully, that changed by April.

Today, the pharmacy where I easily got my Booster shot in October has their first available Booster appointment in late January - over a month away.

Today, the pharmacy where I easily got my Booster shot in October has their first available Booster appointment in late January - over a month away.

I recommend anyone getting these long times try Walgreens. Their website for covid vaccine sign up is pretty simple and looks at all the locations in the radius you wish to include.

Just checked the Walmart app at 8 p.m. Eastern time - rapid tests are out of stock? (I searched WM only, no third-party resellers.)

I looked yesterday and this morning and yes, Walmart has been out of stock in my area and also unavailable online. I bought tests a few weeks ago and was hoping to buy more. Will keep checking periodically.

I looked yesterday and this morning and yes, Walmart has been out of stock in my area and also unavailable online. I bought tests a few weeks ago and was hoping to buy more. Will keep checking periodically.

This is probably why there is now a shortage. :)

Used my last home test yesterday (negative--Yeah). Having a lot of upper respiratory symptoms, very normal to have allergies in the winter for me, but always best to be sure.
Hopefully, my new ordered from Walmart will arrive as they said.

Two nearby counties had limited supplies of home kits they were making available for free, via the public library.

One county had you register on their site after a specific time to reserve a test you could pick up the next day at the library. We tried this method, and it worked well. After we registered I checked again at 9:30, and they still seemed to have about 40 slots available. We had no problems picking up the kits (one for each of us).

The second county was handing it out in front of the library, first come first serve. We had friends go that route, they said it was a zoo. A long line of cars, and no planning or order for the line, so thru traffic was being blocked, people were trying to merge into the line from at least 3 different places, etc. They estimated they were probably the 50th car, but by the time they got to the handout spot there were no more kits available.

It appears that Sam's Club still has the @ home tests available, at least locally (as well the Wal Mart). It shows in stock at the store as well as "same day delivery" but out of stock for shipping.

Used my last home test yesterday (negative--Yeah). Having a lot of upper respiratory symptoms, very normal to have allergies in the winter for me, but always best to be sure.
Hopefully, my new ordered from Walmart will arrive as they said.

In our area there is definitely a non-covid bug going around. I have cold/flu/strep throat/covid like cough, sinus, and throat symptoms with a low fever last Tuesday, but tested negative. The doctors told me a viral infection is about, and I was about the 10th person in that morning with those symptoms but no covid. It seems to run for about 5-7 days, I just have a very slight cough now. But that is also why the tests are in short supply.

This is probably why there is now a shortage. :)

Yeah, well. I bought one box of two tests and am now kicking myself for not buying more :facepalm:. Ah well. Luckily it's just the two of us and we are quite reclusive except for doctor appointments and allergy shots. As for your other post, we aren't Sam's members. On my screen, BinaxNOW is still showing "sold out" at Walmart, and it's not in local stores.

Yeah, well. I bought one box of two tests and am now kicking myself for not buying more :facepalm:. Ah well. Luckily it's just the two of us and we are quite reclusive except for doctor appointments and allergy shots. As for your other post, we aren't Sam's members. On my screen, BinaxNOW is still showing "sold out" at Walmart, and it's not in local stores.

It's all good...my post probably came across more sarcastically that I intended. For that, I apologize.

I would guess the Binax folks wish they made more, but if they were listening to the news/experts, they probably assumed there wouldn't be this huge spike in cases and there wouldn't be such a demand. And I am guilty too...we had a couple of tests and I ordered 4 more (a total of 6 on hand) since the writing was on the wall.

No worries - I took it as a joke, but thanks for the goodwill gesture anyway.

I think we should blame "Jimmy Chill" as he reported he took THREE at-home tests today.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/20/i-h...en-triple-vaccinated-and-has-a-mild-case.html

“I have Covid. I came down with Covid on Thursday night,” Cramer said on “Squawk on the Street.” He added he’s been triple vaccinated: two shots of Moderna and a Moderna booster.

“I know exactly how I got it,” he said. “I was at an event where you had to have PCR [tests].”

“I got it that night from someone who was tested that day,” he said. “The problem is it works so fast. You can’t stop it.

Cramer said his wife is sicker than he is. “She had J&J and Moderna,” he revealed, referring to the Johnson & Johnson Covid vaccine and a Moderna booster shot.

Yes, you would think folks anxious to get the economy going and schools opened would put this kind of testing on a very high priority including funding.

Otherwise we’re going to open up, shut down, open up, shut down.....
+1 Sounds all too familiar.

Cheers!

It appears that Sam's Club still has the @ home tests available, at least locally (as well the Wal Mart). It shows in stock at the store as well as "same day delivery" but out of stock for shipping.
I ordered several tests from Sam's Club after seeing the mention here. They arrive on Thursday. A friend tried yesterday morning and they were out of stock. Yesterday afternoon they were back in stock and shipping. This morning they are still available for shipping with delivery projected for 12/28.

Our order online has been shipped also.
Read an article today, that stated part of President Biden speech tonight will discuss test availability and mailing free tests out

I decided to try and track down some test kits to have on hand just in case. My small town has one CVS, one Walgreens and one Rite-Aid. I visited all three this morning and none of them had home test kits in stock.

However, I got home and decided to look online to see what I might order. The Walgreens showed available inventory for pickup at the same store I just visited. So, I decided to test their system and order a couple. I suspect they really don't have any available and that their website/inventory system is just screwed up. But we will see.

Even if they don't have them today, maybe they'll set them aside for someone who ordered it if/when they get more in stock.

Edited to add: Walgreens notified me about an hour later that my order was ready for pickup. I just picked up two 2-pack BinaxNow kits. Nice to have them should I need them.

Last edited:
I ordered some 'free' iHome Covid tests from a site that is providing them at no charge to me via Amazon delivery.

The box of 5 tests was short-dated to expire three weeks after I received them. But, we now know that the FDA has approved extensions of the use-by dates for many of these tests. I can add three months to that date right now, and it is possible they may extend them farther into the future as the FDA gets more data on how well the tests hold up when stored for long periods.

We have been ordering the free home tests via the postal service program. They have just been sitting on the shelf, and I’ve been feeling guilty about the fact that they were going to expire in another month or so. DW took a trip with her sister to Nashville and came home with a “cold”. A week later and six home tests later, and we have both tested positive. Wish I didn’t have covid but I’m glad that we had the home tests available. DW already feeling better. I’ve had symptoms for several days but kept testing negative until yesterday. Thankfully, it’s just been like a bad summer cold, which seems markedly better today. Still have taste, smell and no breathing issues. #knockonwood

Back
Top Bottom