How has the pandemic changed your life in positive ways?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am retired (have been for years) but pre-Covid I was busy all the time. On several Boards of non profits, busy with Church, busy helping my mother, busy entertaining, etc etc. My days were so full of meetings and activities I hardly had any free time. Most of these activities ground to a stop when Covid hit. I have learned that I was doing too much and really did not enjoy it (was feeling stressed) and I do not plan to go back to being so busy. I have learned to say "no."

My employer now allows people in my position to work from home & they are negotiating with the union to make it permanent. Huge savings in time & $ for me & increase in quality of life eliminating the commute. Too early to tell how things will shake out in the industry (airlines) but I think it's possible my company may benefit from its strong financial position pre-covid & the actions taken during the crisis.

I am in a small group of friends who meet weekly & we moved to zoom, which is not as good, but the good part is another friend joined in who didn't previously want to make the drive & I have enjoyed getting to know her better. Oh and the other good part is I get to see one of the friend's cats every week - I love cats but am allergic so admire them from afar.

I have saved money on clothing, for both work and leisure. I’m hoping I won’t have to buy anymore work clothes or shoes between the time we are supposed to return to the office (mid October) and when I call it quits (June 2022). For personal/leisure clothing, I’m not really going anywhere or seeing anyone or going to restaurants where I’d normally dress a little nicer. I’m just going out for errands and exercise so I can dress down in shorts and t-shirts.

I’ve saved money in general - no money spent on vacations last year nor will any be spent until August at the earliest. I’ve saved money on car maintenance and gas. I’ve Ben gotten a few auto insurance rebates.

Best of all, I’ve been able to work from home since September 2021. I love that. No time or money spent on a commute. No need to spend a ton of time dressing up. My cat is getting spoiled since she has a near-constant companion until I have to go back to the office. I wish I never had to return to an office. Unfortunately, the CEO is old school and has said he doesn’t believe in remote work. But I will enjoy the next 7 months of being away from an office setting.

My two kids, both college students, are home doing university online. While I do feel sad for them missing out on the campus experiences, I have also really, really enjoyed having them home again. Love the family dinners, watching a movie altogether on the sofa and having family game nights. Our pets are really glad the kids are home too, because they get double the petting and attention!

Have had fun with younger son as he challenges me to do daily planks. (He can do them a lot longer.... but he's only 18.)

Got more proficient at sewing - because I made masks for everyone in the house. Now that we're (hopefully) nearing the end of the pandemic I finally have a pattern that everyone in the family likes.

DH cuts his own and younger son's hair using clippers (younger son) and flowbee (himself)... But that was true pre-pandemic. Older son allowed one hair cut that he didn't like -so he now has a ponytail.

The dog and I have lengthened our daily walks from 2 miles to 4 miles... And know where all the bunnies are along the various routes.

Once the library re-opened for reserved books (you reserve online then pick them up outside when ready) I've been plowing through a LOT of books I had on my "someday" list.

I should pick up duolingo again. Need to refresh my Italian.

I forgot to mention that being at home has been very good for my cat. In October of 2019, I adopted an “unadoptable” traumatized cat. Our being at home all the time has really helped her to come out of her shell figuratively and out from hiding literally.

The cat has been good for me. I wasn’t going to get another cat after my cat died because we were traveling so much. Well that didn’t happen and I have enjoyed having a pet around the house.

Here in Thailand, hardly at all. I didn’t make my annual visit to the US last year and probably won’t make it again this year. I miss salsa dancing. It returned from September-December last year then we had a second outbreak.

I have learned that I was doing too much and really did not enjoy it (was feeling stressed) and I do not plan to go back to being so busy. I have learned to say "no."

^This. I am now currently as busy as I intend to get!

The pandemic 'forced' me to get my plant stand out, order seeds and plant them for the coming year. Last year there was a shortage of bedding plants and I wasn't able to find some of my favourites.

For me there not much to add to my already positive retirement life. I probably have a very "pandemic-friendly" lifestyle in that my time and activities where already mine to choose, and my home and land is big enough to keep me busy and not feel confined if I cannot venture from it.

The positive aspect was reinforcement of my "whatever comes up, we can deal with it" attitude. I was (and am) careful and cautious, but never felt panicked. The grocery shopping was more of an adventure and challenge rather than something to dread, and I was more "amused" by the shortages and concerned. Maybe because I have grow up around and seen much worse, and have friends who have lived through much worse.

The added time did allow me to have more time to talk to friends and relatives I had not talked to in years. Even though it was primarily Zoom and telephone, the personal contact still helped. No more casual "let's keep in touch" - this was the year to be in touch.

Its funny, because I was just looking over my purchases from last year and realized last week at this time that the Great Shopping Shortage Panic hit our area last year. We took two trips to Costco, endured the "running of the carts" getting to the "valued" items, and spent more than twice as much as usual. Seems like so long ago... :)

We are still working and fortunate to have great jobs.
DW has worked from home since last March and would not have it any other way.
I have a company vehicle and we no longer drive our cars/truck much at all, only for pleasure.

Nothing positive.

Except that it doesn't suck as much as it did a year ago. Getting used to it I guess.

The pandemic has not had a big impact on my life, either positively or negatively. I did spend a few months in isolation (during lockdowns), but I ended up enjoying the downtime and my own company. In between lockdowns, I've continued to be social while taking reasonable precautions. Hence I still visit family and friends, go on vacation, visit shops, get my hair cut at the barber, etc...

One aspect of my life has changed though. Friends and family members reached out to me for help because their kids were falling behind in school (due to school closures and suboptimal distance learning measures). I had the time and academic qualifications to help, so I agreed. I'm now teaching maths, physics, chemistry, and English to high school students several hours a week.

The most positive change is that I am able to do teletherapy from home. I did not renew my office lease, so I will be working exclusively from home. This has also allowed me to expand my on-line pain management coaching and health-care provider coaching since people are more comfortable with telehealth.

Also,
I've learned to cut both my husband's and my hair.
I've been able to use my commute time to exercise instead.

I have been cutting my DH's hair but I noticed that now DH is post vaccination he has an appt to go back to his regular stylist for a cut---so much for my career as a hair cutter. As for me I had been wanting to grow my hair out and every time I went to the salon they cut too much off. So I am trimming it myself and I like it longer. It is now about shoulder length and I am starting to be able to wear it in a ponytail which is fun.

Last edited:
I like how some museums and organizations are offering programs and presentations over Zoom. Before, many of these would have required driving a good distance to attend, and then driving back home at night. I hope they continue to offer these online even post-pandemic.

Otherwise not much has changed for me.

I've been isolated, but still having some contact with people. Mostly people who were also alone.

I got into cooking more, and I would drop off meals to my two aunt and a few older friends who were alone.

I got into riding my bike longer distances with a long time friend.

I had beers at a distance on my nice outdoor patio with a few different long time friends and neighbors.

I had my biking friend over for a few dinners on my outdoor patio. I hate making a nice meal, and then eating it alone.

I'm now a couple with my biking friend. I wasn't expecting that. She claims I cassaroled her with good meals, drinks and bike rides. Funny. I really like her, and we seem to be getting along great. WTH.

Maybe we both would have been too busy prior to the pandemic.

Enjoy your lives. JP

I've been isolated, but still having some contact with people. Mostly people who were also alone.

I got into cooking more, and I would drop off meals to my two aunt and a few older friends who were alone.

I had beers at a distance on my nice outdoor patio with a few different long time friends and neighbors.

I had my biking friend over for a few dinners on my outdoor patio. I hate making a nice meal, and then eating it alone.

I'm now a couple with my biking friend. I wasn't expecting that. She claims I cassaroled her with good meals, drinks and bike rides. Funny. I really like her, and we seem to be getting along great. WTH.

Enjoy your lives. JP

Ah, love during the pandemic...very sweet

Have a few positives that have come to pass from the pandemic and the lockdown.

Both my kid brother and I now have a standing date with Mom every Tuesday. Wife has the same standing weekly date with her Dad. Both parents needed a little TLC and now getting it.

With the travel lock down and no where to go, wife got both knees replaced.

And another positive, our monthly spending is way under budget ... so with that surplus we were able to fully fund youngest daughters university tuition and living expenses for graduate school. She will graduate debt-free as a nurse in May!

The list of those annoying little odd jobs on our home is getting tackled.

With a daily workout on the schedule and no eating out, my weight is way down and fitness is much better.

One rarely gets the opportunity to truly reduce suffering or save a life because if you personally don't take action, someone else or some other intervention will fill the void. Even though my actions have made no difference, I did get the opportunity to help my family in this way, and I consider that the most positive thing that would not have happened without the pandemic.

At the time, when there were no vaccines, and the standard of care was "stay home and get really sick before coming to the hospital to get oxygen and maybe survive", I built Covid cocktail packs with ivermectin that I ordered from Mexico (where it's OTC) and other vitamins, based on the I-MASK+ protocol. So I got these kits to my immediate family, and although nobody used them, and all will probably just gather dust, simply having the opportunity was a plus. In this case, the alternative standard of care was ineffectual, and the kits, although discounted by the powerful groups, were, and are, being championed by front line clinicians. Even if a kit was used, I'd never know if it really did reduce suffering, which made the project even more satisfying.

For me the positive things out weight the negative stuff.

1. I have not been sick since March of last year just the nagging allergies.
2. I know how stay busy by myself alone and keep my brain busy
3. I appreciate life much more and want to move to a very simple life style
4. I no longer miss the restaurant meals or activities that involve lots of people

My new way of seen life is to keep simple and stay away from most folks.

The enforced downshifting has provided an opportunity for many small and large “resets” toward the essentials - and a year of interesting haircuts. [emoji139]*♂️

Several positives for us:

My daughter and I go to the (outdoor) gym together 4 days a week. One of the benefits of SoCal living - we’ve only been rained out twice in 6 months. The workouts have been productive, and we have great conversations on the drive to and from.

DW and I have taken up hiking, and do at least 1 longer hike every week. We have tons of top-notch options in our area, and it’s been fun to explore and find new trails.

We eat out much less often than we used to, and our standards have gone up. We’ll probably continue to eat out less frequently when this is all over.

One rarely gets the opportunity to truly reduce suffering or save a life because if you personally don't take action, someone else or some other intervention will fill the void. Even though my actions have made no difference, I did get the opportunity to help my family in this way, and I consider that the most positive thing that would not have happened without the pandemic.

At the time, when there were no vaccines, and the standard of care was "stay home and get really sick before coming to the hospital to get oxygen and maybe survive", I built Covid cocktail packs with ivermectin that I ordered from Mexico (where it's OTC) and other vitamins, based on the I-MASK+ protocol. So I got these kits to my immediate family, and although nobody used them, and all will probably just gather dust, simply having the opportunity was a plus. In this case, the alternative standard of care was ineffectual, and the kits, although discounted by the powerful groups, were, and are, being championed by front line clinicians. Even if a kit was used, I'd never know if it really did reduce suffering, which made the project even more satisfying.

Reading your post reminded me that I also did something that helped other people--around my area I am known as the Vaccine Finder because I have helped many people (even some on this Forum) find vaccine appointments. This made me feel good about myself.

Enjoy your lives. JP
Glad to hear you've found a friend! Not easy at our age.

My positives have been:
Finally bought a good elliptical since I still refuse to go to the gym.
Finally bought a hot tub.
Saved a ton of money.
Cut back on the demon rum intake. Unfortunately, the village workingmans bar is not going to reopen. The owners age and the shutdown have killed it forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom