30 y/o retired multi millionaire

Harlax

Confused about dryer sheets
Dear community,

What a great forum! So cool to see so many people working towards FIRE. I am happy to join a liked-minded community and hopefully we can help each others.

About me:

In my start 20s I quickly realized that I didn't want to working bee or have anybody telling me what to do.

I figured that the only way to escape, was to become rich fast, so then I started reading books, blogs, and articles on how to make a successful start-up.

Some of the books were - and I highly recommend them:
- The millionaire fastlane by MJ Demarco
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
- Think and grow rich by Napoleon Hill
- How to win friends and influence people by Dale Carnegie

I made a startup with a friend to put our knowledge into practice and get some experience. We learned a lot, but it never grew into something significant. But because I had that experience, it gave me the possibility to make another startup - a tech company - with a couple of friends, which turned out to be extremely successful.

We scaled it up, expanded it to multiple countries, made some smart moves and hired a very experienced management team to run the company (we knew that we could not take it as far as we wanted with our experience)

Long story short, I moved to Switzerland to avoid the high capital gains tax in my home country and the past 3 years I have been retired, been doing a lot of traveling and having much fun.

Now my challenge is to create a meaningful life with purpose and I was hoping to find some persons in the same position as me, in this community.

Thank you

You have done well, good for you!

Find a way to help others, less fortunate then you. Start a charity help program you can work on and build to help other.

I wish you well, in finding your way.

Find a way to help others, less fortunate then you. Start a charity help program you can work on and build to help other.

+1

+1
I’ve learned I get much more happiness in my life by giving back. Find one or more causes that are important to you and make a difference. There is great need in much of the world that could use your support. Just make sure you use legitimate charities or do your due diligence on any projects you want to support. Look out for scams.

Thank you, guys!

My company's main purpose and product is to fight food waste / climate change, save our resources and offer affordable food to people in the areas where we are located. So "charity" is what I indirectly have been working on for years.

But yes, you are right. More help can be done, and my dream in the future is to buy up rainforests and wilderness to make it a sanctuary for animals and to stop deforestation. But that I can only realize, when the big exit of the company comes - and that might take years.

Now, I have enough personal liquid assets to do some charity, but not enough to make a very significant impact. Only long term with the illiquid asset of my company.

So to sum it up, I will do lots of charity in the future with help of the money from the big exit of my company. But now, I feel like I want to spend my personal time on something else. I will make a post in the "After FIRE" to get some inspiration from the community,

Thank you!

Cheers.

Welcome to the forum. As you said, you have the ability now to use your time better than the money which is tied up. So use you smarts to benefit what you want to help along with your time.

As an alternative, could you work on starting a complimentary business to your current one? That may fill that desire for what to do, and being complimentary could provide bigger potential benefit in the long term.

Congratulations on your success and being able to get the expertise to help take your idea and efforts to the higher levels. Good job, remember it is also OK to enjoy some of that success. Sounds like you did some traveling around which is great way to have some fun away form the business.

Last edited:
I remember on a trip to Costa Rica running into a young guy on the beach who was retired. He was absolutely bored senseless. There are so few people in their 30s that are retired he had nobody to do anything with.
You mentioned gaining experience to make your company successful. Why don't you share that experience with other people? Help out other entrepreneurs and get them headed in the right direction?
Have fun and good luck

I remember on a trip to Costa Rica running into a young guy on the beach who was retired. He was absolutely bored senseless.. ..........
I knew plenty of people at Mega like that when I was working. It is a lack of imagination.

Why not start at NGO? I would set objectives from the beginning. 1) accomplishing what you want the NGO to accomplish 2) creating the next generation of leadership. Once you have completed number 2, start another NGO.

NGOs often need help in business design and revenue generation. It sounds like you have those skills. You can choose the area you want to focus.

Just sharing a thought

Now my challenge is to create a meaningful life with purpose and I was hoping to find some persons in the same position as me, in this community.

Good job on reaching ER at such an early age. We don't have any specific goals or purpose, but we do have a circle of friends and family to spend time with, hobbies, an aging house and aging bodies to take care of, and belong to several hobby / social clubs, which all keep us busy.

Thank your for your replies and ideas! Much appreciated.

Funny about Costa Rica. My friend and co-founder in the company also went there for months after he also reached FIRE and spent a lot of time on the beach/clubs.

Cheers!

Whatever you do don't get caught up in a lifestyle that emphasizes drinking to excess. That could easily lead to disastrous results.
Take up a sport like scuba, combine it with underwater photography. Or extreme hiking, skiing, kiteboarding, etc. Along the way in the endeavors you may find a way to help others. Or start another business that you do just for the enjoyment.

Thank you, guys!

My company's main purpose and product is to fight food waste / climate change, save our resources and offer affordable food to people in the areas where we are located. So "charity" is what I indirectly have been working on for years.

But yes, you are right. More help can be done, and my dream in the future is to buy up rainforests and wilderness to make it a sanctuary for animals and to stop deforestation. But that I can only realize, when the big exit of the company comes - and that might take years.

Now, I have enough personal liquid assets to do some charity, but not enough to make a very significant impact. Only long term with the illiquid asset of my company.

So to sum it up, I will do lots of charity in the future with help of the money from the big exit of my company. But now, I feel like I want to spend my personal time on something else. I will make a post in the "After FIRE" to get some inspiration from the community,

Thank you!

Cheers.

Buying up forests could earn environmental credits and could be sold for decarbonization plays for carbon offset. Make it a business still yeah? You're young and ingenious - keep doing good mate.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom