How to wash produce?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wash every apple I eat with soap and hot water and scrub with my hands. Have for years. They taste fine

I bought a case of wine yesterday and dunked each bottle in a bleach solution in the sink. Dixonge’s article indicates I should have let it soak 5 minutes.

I bought a case of wine yesterday and dunked each bottle in a bleach solution in the sink. Dixonge’s article indicates I should have let it soak 5 minutes.

Seems like that should be effective for any sort of glass or sealed plastic packaging. But honestly, unless you're planning on drinking the wine within the next few days, an equally effective method would be to set the bottles aside for at least 72 hours. From what I've read, the virus cannot live much beyond that on hard surfaces like stainless steel, plastic, copper, etc.

For cold items that need to be stored in the freezer, decontamination by washing with soapy water or bleach solution does seem necessary, since the virus can remain stable and viable for much longer than 72 hours in a sub-zero environment (ref. the post by @EveryLady a few days ago in the thread).

Dish soap!

I’ll wash our veggies as I normally do. Somehow I’m not concerned about catching COVID-19 from fresh produce.

I don't have to worry about it as my grocery store had no bananas or apples this morning. No dish soap either. Fortunately they did have beer, milk and bread. So I can survive! They did have a bunch of frozen crap I wouldn't normally eat but bought it anyway.

Our farmer's market had apples on Sunday. I washed them with a touch of soap and left them on the counter to dry. WOW, they are good! I am shocked that they had apples at all, much less good ones! Now I'll have to go back next week and get a lot more! (Everyone except one or two people were very good about social distancing, and it was open enough that I didn't have to work hard to avoid those people, although it was irritating.)

Our farmer's market had apples on Sunday. I washed them with a touch of soap and left them on the counter to dry. WOW, they are good! I am shocked that they had apples at all, much less good ones! Now I'll have to go back next week and get a lot more! (Everyone except one or two people were very good about social distancing, and it was open enough that I didn't have to work hard to avoid those people, although it was irritating.)
Reminds me of the scene in Soylent Green (scifi movie) where Charlton Heston eats all but the stem of the apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom