My husband just tested positive...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, everyone!

This is great information on the oximeter! I will use myself as a control to see how it reads.

Hey, CindyBlue, I'm sorry your husband got infected and I'm sure it's scary.

I just wanted to chime in to encourage you to also take care of yourself. I know when our kids were young it was common for us to get sick too because we ran ourselves ragged taking care of them. Taking care of someone is physically and emotionally draining and stressful, and it's easy for caregivers to get run down themselves and then get sick too (especially if we're nearby the sick person where they can cough on us or sneeze on us or whatever). It was easy for us to have a chain reaction where one of our kids got sick and a week later all five of us were in various stages of being sick with the same illness.

If the caregiver gets sick, though, that can make things even harder, because then nobody can take care of anyone - or at least it's a lot harder. And it's harder for a family that is all sick to pull themselves out of the morass.

You're obviously a caring person and I don't mean to be bossy or tell you what to do. Obviously you still need to take care of your husband, too - I'm not suggesting being selfish.

I just encourage you to be careful with your own health so that you can continue to take care of him really well and don't double your troubles unnecessarily.

:flowers:

I've had a slight cough for a couple weeks, felt fine otherwise, always wore my mask if out for errands. We are snowbirds due to head out Dec 3 for our winter home.

Early last week DH came down with body aches and a low grade fever, he thought it was left over punies from getting the first shingle shot a couple weeks ago. I told him he would not have aches two weeks later and insisted he get covid tested last Wednesday. He got the call on Thanksgiving that he was positive but by then the aches and fever was gone.

I went last Friday, was tested and came back positive. Still a slight cough on occasion, no fever. Both our doctors today have cleared us to fly to Arizona on Thursday, based on symptons beginning over 10 days ago and no fever for more than 3 days.

We will still maintain distancing and wear masks from the time we enter this airport and exiting the AZ airport. I'm thinking about wearing gloves also.

Hey, CindyBlue, I'm sorry your husband got infected and I'm sure it's scary.

I just wanted to chime in to encourage you to also take care of yourself. I know when our kids were young it was common for us to get sick too because we ran ourselves ragged taking care of them. Taking care of someone is physically and emotionally draining and stressful, and it's easy for caregivers to get run down themselves and then get sick too (especially if we're nearby the sick person where they can cough on us or sneeze on us or whatever). It was easy for us to have a chain reaction where one of our kids got sick and a week later all five of us were in various stages of being sick with the same illness.

If the caregiver gets sick, though, that can make things even harder, because then nobody can take care of anyone - or at least it's a lot harder. And it's harder for a family that is all sick to pull themselves out of the morass.

You're obviously a caring person and I don't mean to be bossy or tell you what to do. Obviously you still need to take care of your husband, too - I'm not suggesting being selfish.

I just encourage you to be careful with your own health so that you can continue to take care of him really well and don't double your troubles unnecessarily.

:flowers:

You are not being bossy at all - it's good, solid, and appreciated advice!

So far, so good. He is a bit of a stoic, which makes me worry because he doesn't really say how bad he is feeling when he's feeling bad. I have to try to sense how he's doing, and not overdo my questions or reactions because he gets either more worried about it, or he should be or gets more resistant to telling me how he feels because he doesn't either want me to worry about it or he doesn't want to acknowledge it (as in he's then admitting a "weakness.") He will tell me eventually, if minimizing most of the time, as an aside while we are doing something else, like working on the woodpile or taking a walk. He is really mostly worried, in his own quiet way, about me.

That's my boy (smile!)

It's really the first time I've ever thought about the possibility of life without him. That was/is so scary...he is my rock, my partner, my best friend, my love.

I am taking your advice and will make it point to care of myself because I simply have to be there for him, as he has always been for me. He is ten years older than I am, but has a long lived family. Mine lives on the average ten or more years less than his, so we have always joked that we should be a good match, but who knows? (wry smile!)

Assuming that either of us do not get sicker than we are (I'm fine, he's got minor symptoms) I think our not being able to go take treats every day to my dad in his nursing home, and not being able to do our shift at the food bank, and in general not being able to get out once in a while, is what will be hard for the ten to fourteen day quarantine both of us. But there's still stuff to get done here on the property, we live in a lovely place out in the country to have to quarantine, and you sweet folks here are generously giving your time and opinions and advice to help me get over my panic about his current covid situation.

Sorry this was so long...you are so kind...

Wishing your DH a speedy recovery and hoping that you do not get it.

My oxygen reading on my Oximeter at my home in the middle of NC is around 96-97. When I went to my mountain home last summer at 5000' it dropped to 93 or so ( and I could tell I was a little breathless) but after a week or two I got acclimated to the altitude and it went back up to 96 (and no more breathlessness).

Thanks - I had assumed that the human body would adjust to altitude. Your experience makes sense to me.

Next time I get above 11,000 feet I'll have to take my oximeter!

Cindy, my oximeter reading fluctuates even while I'm wearing it. It is usually 97 or 98 but can dip to 96 right in front of my eyes. Just talking, or taking deep breaths, can change your oxygen "perfusion."

There is also a certain amount of sampling variation, because the device only has a certain number of detectors to convert what is basically an analog signal to a digital number. So it could be that your O2 level isn't changing at all when it goes up by 1 or 2.

Perhaps, but I can make my oxygen % go up and stay up a couple of points by relaxing and breathing deeper.

Thanks - I had assumed that the human body would adjust to altitude. Your experience makes sense to me.

It's an eye opener.
A few years ago we were going to climb a fourteener in Colorado, but the oximeter got down to 86 when we were just at 13,000 feet. DW was getting too nervous about it so we called it off.

Cindy, my oximeter reading fluctuates even while I'm wearing it. It is usually 97 or 98 but can dip to 96 right in front of my eyes. Just talking, or taking deep breaths, can change your oxygen "perfusion."

A reading of 99 is extremely rare for me, and I'm fairly fit.
That's pretty much me. Our chiropractor would test our oxygen levels immediately upon entering the building. He would deny service to someone with a low reading (actually recommended seeing your health provider at that point).

The first time they did his they caught me off-guard after walking from the far end of the parking lot, and I was at 96. The next appointment, it was 97 and never lower than that during the period he was measuring patients. DW was constantly at 99.

That is interesting about altitude. I do hunting trips and reach 11,000' plus and never have thought about what could happen health wise. Never ever gave it a second thought about that.

We live at 7750' and I normally read at 93%. I thought it was low, my PCP said it's fine, we have 20% less O2 here.

The oximeter arrived today, and he is at a consistent 93. It put me at 97. I think that's ok, right?

No temp.

He still has the deep cough, and has lost 11 pounds in two weeks. That could be the polymyalgia rheumatica/prednisone.

He gets very tired when he does anything, but he's still doing it - as in today, we walked halfway up the hill for exercise (about 1/2 mile), and he also drove the tractor to carry some rocks up for me to work on repairing the creek by the driveway so it (hopefully) doesn't collapse. He needs something to DO - the feeling he can't DO anything is worse, I think than anything else so far. He felt mentally a lot better after that chore was done - he certainly seemed to "perk up" quite a bit.

I'm keeping an eye on him. Apparently if it IS going to turn bad (since it hasn't before) it will start about now (at 7 days or so.)

Our medical group, Kaiser, sent a huge box of supplies that arrived overnight - gloves, masks, body wash, antiseptic pads and cleaner, hand sanitizer, a thermometer, even paper plates and utensils. We are impressed - it is a "class act." We will keep the supplies until and if I get it (14 day quarantine for me starting at the end of his self isolation (this Sat, based on when his symptoms showed up, best as we can figure)) and then if not, we'll donate to a homeless shelter.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we dodged a bullet here. Thank you all so much for everything. The folks in this community are very special...please be careful out there, ok, everyone? it's sobering, and scary...

You need to relay consistent 93% to his doctor. It might be low. His doctor needs to know. Usually under 95% is concerning.

Many people report losing a lot of weight while battling Covid.

Last edited:
I agree with Audrey--contact your husband's doctor about the 93%. Do you know what his normal oxygen level is? He should also tell his doctor about the tiredness and weight loss.

On another thread someone who has been hospitalized with Covid and is now home is doing deep breathing exercises--be sure your husband is taking deep breaths. When he does that does his oxygen level go up any?

I agree with Audrey--contact your husband's doctor about the 93%. Do you know what his normal oxygen level is? He should also tell his doctor about the tiredness and weight loss.

On another thread someone who has been hospitalized with Covid and is now home is doing deep breathing exercises--be sure your husband is taking deep breaths. When he does that does his oxygen level go up any?

Wow! Just took it again and had him take deep breaths - it was 97! Yay!! Maybe he was holding his breath every other time today?? I took it twice as we walked in from the mailbox (long driveway about 450 yards), and a couple more times when he was sitting down after we got back. Sheesh...I sure feel better now! I'm so glad I checked in here tonight so I could test him again with your information to help!
Whew - thank you!

It's an eye opener.
A few years ago we were going to climb a fourteener in Colorado, but the oximeter got down to 86 when we were just at 13,000 feet. DW was getting too nervous about it so we called it off.
I got very sick with high fever, chills, stomach runs holed up in my hotel room sweating it out in La Paz Bolivia the highest altitude city in the world after my Cerro Chacaltaya incident. Flying into El Alto airport it is at 13K feet above sea level and it took me a few days of walking slowly , touring the sites getting acclimated while drinking lots of coca tea and chewing a lot of coca leaves to help me. When I joined a group to take a mountain travel via road vehicle up Cerro Chacaltaya to the drop off point at 17,900 ft above sea level we then walked up 200 meters just in warm clothes and hiking boots to the top which was a little over 18K feet above sea level. We were above the clouds and it was difficult to breathe but it was a sight to see. Coming down the mountain in the car I then ate street food because of being so hungry. Anyone not in shape do not try it.

I've had a slight cough for a couple weeks, felt fine otherwise, always wore my mask if out for errands. We are snowbirds due to head out Dec 3 for our winter home.

Early last week DH came down with body aches and a low grade fever, he thought it was left over punies from getting the first shingle shot a couple weeks ago. I told him he would not have aches two weeks later and insisted he get covid tested last Wednesday. He got the call on Thanksgiving that he was positive but by then the aches and fever was gone.

I went last Friday, was tested and came back positive. Still a slight cough on occasion, no fever. Both our doctors today have cleared us to fly to Arizona on Thursday, based on symptons beginning over 10 days ago and no fever for more than 3 days.

We will still maintain distancing and wear masks from the time we enter this airport and exiting the AZ airport. I'm thinking about wearing gloves also.
Wow! You two take care.

This virus is a sneaky little devil. The spectrum of symptoms truly covers everything from none to death.

He still has the deep cough, and has lost 11 pounds in two weeks. That could be the polymyalgia rheumatica/prednisone.

I had Covid back in April and rapid weight loss happened to me too. I lost weight at the rate of a pound a day. I keep track of my weight on a daily basis so I noticed this right away.

It appears that when your body is fighting the virus, it burns a lot of energy. I started to recover as soon as I forced myself to eat a lot. You have to do this even if you have no appetite. My suggestion is to take foods like rice and pasta that will give you quick energy.

My bout with Covid was relatively mild and got over the fever in about five days (even before I got my test result back).

I had Covid back in April and rapid weight loss happened to me too. I lost weight at the rate of a pound a day. I keep track of my weight on a daily basis so I noticed this right away.

It appears that when your body is fighting the virus, it burns a lot of energy. I started to recover as soon as I forced myself to eat a lot. You have to do this even if you have no appetite. My suggestion is to take foods like rice and pasta that will give you quick energy.

My bout with Covid was relatively mild and got over the fever in about five days (even before I got my test result back).

Thank you for this information! He is saying that he doesn't want to put on the pounds again (we both figure that we have a few pounds to lose though we are quite active (smile!)) But I will keep an eye on him for further weight loss!

I'm so sorry you had the virus, and so glad you are recovering!

Thank you for this information! He is saying that he doesn't want to put on the pounds again (we both figure that we have a few pounds to lose though we are quite active (smile!)) But I will keep an eye on him for further weight loss!

I'm so sorry you had the virus, and so glad you are recovering!

Losing weight is definitely a good long-term goal but your husband needs to eat well in the short term in order to recover quickly. Once he's back to normal, you can resume your regular diets :)

Early this year, my DW had symptoms that would have appeared to have been COVID-19. Much like others around her who had similar symptoms, none of them tested positive for the flu (this was before COVID-19 was *supposed* to have first appeared in the US).

One side effect she had with that *flu* was a complete loss of taste and, along with that, her appetite. Lost 7-8 lbs over a three week period without even trying. After a couple of weeks, she was starting to worry that she might not enjoy the taste of food again. It was very unnerving when it happened, something she had never experience before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom