My husband just tested positive...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new study of blood donations suggests that COVID may have been in the US prior to December 13, 2019. https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...eeks-earlier-than-previously-known-study-says

There is some healthy skepticism though (and I only have that after reading a thread rt'd by Scott Gottlieb):

Basically, he's saying if there was really a 2% infection rate in recent blood donors as far back as 12/19 then the infection rate would translate to millions of infections back then, which, while we wouldn't have a test to diagnose would be noticeable and raising alarms, which at least would have been connected when the COVID news started in January. We would have had news reports of a mystery illness and then connected the dots very quickly. Neither happened.

He goes into the technical aspects of how they tested the samples (not the same as how we test for covid in actual patients now), and finds there might have been some false positives in results with other seasonal corona viruses.

And he compares it to sampling of 3600 acute respiratory cases in Seattle from Jan 2020, which were 0/3600 for covid.

Anyway, the thread is an interesting companion read if nothing else.

Reactions: Cb
My sweetie says he is feeling much better today. Still a deep cough, but I'm hoping that's good for clearing out the lungs. No temp. Blood oxygen good. Not as many aches and pains. Says he feel more "chipper" this morning (smile!)

I think we're past the worst of it and, have somehow managed to avoid the worst it could have been.

I am so, so relieved! I finally feel that I can take a breath again!

And I am so thankful to you all for being a sounding board, and an advice source, and a wonderful support group when I was so scared. I just cannot thank you enough:smitten:

My sweetie says he is feeling much better today. Still a deep cough, but I'm hoping that's good for clearing out the lungs. No temp. Blood oxygen good. Not as many aches and pains. Says he feel more "chipper" this morning (smile!)

I think we're past the worst of it and, have somehow managed to avoid the worst it could have been.

I am so, so relieved! I finally feel that I can take a breath again!

And I am so thankful to you all for being a sounding board, and an advice source, and a wonderful support group when I was so scared. I just cannot thank you enough:smitten:

Great news I am so glad! I hope he will still take it easy a few more days and continue deep breathing exercises and testing oxygen level. I also hope you stay well.

Good for you guys!

Yeah, most people recover well. You hear about the ones that don't on the news.

Glad to hear he is getting better, here's to speedy and complete recovery !

...and my prayers for all of you out there who have it or are exposed to it...please, please be careful...

It’s fair to be worried.
A wise doc once told me—let’s not worry until we know we have something to worry about.
MOST people recover. Things look good so far.
Breathe. Pray.
Take care.

Great to hear.
Hopefully fully back to normal soon enough.

Just caught up with this thread. So glad he's doing better, CindyBlue. I hope he continues to improve and that you're able to relax a bit.

Good for you guys!

Yeah, most people recover well. You hear about the ones that don't on the news.

Yep! I have not heard one story covered from news from a sick covid person that hasn't died or some long recovery story. I have known a lot of people that have had it and they all said, they have had worse colds/flu then what the covid 19 virus was for them.

Now, I'm not saying it isn't a terrible killing virus, just saying the 15 plus I know went through it very easily.

Last edited:
speedy and full recovery wishes to your hubby and hoping you don't come down with it. keep a positive outlook...that can't hurt.

Thank you everyone...I am SO grateful for your warm thoughts and good wishes, and for sharing my story - and my relief! I am so relieved!

I belive I will have a good stiff drink tonight - or maybe two! I've "been good" all this time in case I had to drive somewhere, just in case, but it is time to celebrate!! Hmm...cosmopolitans or gin and tonics? :dance:

Yep! I have not heard one story covered from news from a sick covid person that hasn't died or some long recovery story. I have known a lot of people that have had it and they all said, they have had worse colds/flu then what the covid 19 virus was for them.

Now, I'm not saying it isn't a terrible killing virus, just saying the 15 plus I know went through it very easily.

I also know a former co-worker who had it at age 65 and did very well. Good luck!

Prayers from Montana Cindy. Your place sounds a lot like ours. And your isolation too. We learned early on we could get groceries delivered right into the back of our car even in rural Montana. We go the the store every week but we don’t get out of the car. We push a button and the back door opens and they out the groceries in. I bet you can find something like that and it will be even more important now. Call around. And don’t make the mistake I did with the pulse oximeter. They only work when good and warm. I took mine for a walk and it said 75! Thought I was done. Many of our friends have now recovered with no big problems. But now they think they have the immunity idol from Survivor! Take care!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Prayers from Montana Cindy. Your place sounds a lot like ours. And your isolation too. We learned early on we could get groceries delivered right into the back of our car even in rural Montana. We go the the store every week but we don’t get out of the car. We push a button and the back door opens and they out the groceries in. I bet you can find something like that and it will be even more important now. Call around. And don’t make the mistake I did with the pulse oximeter. They only work when good and warm. I took mine for a walk and it said 75! Thought I was done. Many of our friends have now recovered with no big problems. But now they think they have the immunity idol from Survivor! Take care!

Wow, good info about the oximeter - I'll bet that's what happened when I took DH's oximeter reading the first time - we were outside and it was very cold. His reading was much better the second time inside the house!
We are Survivor fans - I can hardly wait to tell DH about him having the immunity idol (smile!) I wonder how long - if any - immunity he will have? I'd heard something about up to three months is the guess...

Just caught up with this thread. So glad he's doing better, CindyBlue. I hope he continues to improve and that you're able to relax a bit.

+1 that must have been a very scary episode for you both. Glad to hear that recovery is progressing nicely.

I wonder how long - if any - immunity he will have? I'd heard something about up to three months is the guess...

There were some news stories about this in the past few days that may have been a bit confusing.

Basically, Moderna (pretty sure it was Moderna, could have been Pfizer) is continuing to follow the people they injected with their vaccine in their phase 3 trial. What they said was that those people, who were injected three months ago, still have enough antibodies to be immune now. They obviously can't say that the immunity will last a year, because it simply hasn't been a year since those people received the vaccine.

As time passes, I'm sure they will continue to track those vaccinated in their trials and continue to test to see if they still have immunity. And they'll probably periodically announce "Hey, still working after 6 months!" "Hey, still working after 1 year!"

As a relentless optimist, I think that the vaccines will probably last at least a year simply because most vaccines I am familiar with last that long. They could last even longer, although nobody knows yet.

Great news. Glad your DH is feeling better and you remain symptom free.

Well...shucks...

I have developed cold symptoms as of yesterday - slightly stuffy, runny nose, and a pretty good cough...keeping my fingers crossed!!
Sigh...

oh, no! Can you ask to be tested again?
Take care.

From what I have seen, good nutrition is key to minimizing effects of virus. Make sure you get at least daily allotment of vitamins C, D, and zinc. Go on Zicam if you can get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom