No new infections from the Great Clips exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audreyh1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Last edited:
Good news! But funny how it made national headlines when it happened, but not so much now that it is a non-issue (no reports in the STL area anyway, this is the first I have seen it).

Same goes for the Lake of the Ozarks parties over Memorial day. Not advocating what they did, and there was 1 person who had tested positive afterwards, but silence because there was no big outbreak.

Good news! But funny how it made national headlines when it happened, but not so much now that it is a non-issue (no reports in the STL area anyway, this is the first I have seen it).

Same goes for the Lake of the Ozarks parties over Memorial day. Not advocating what they did, and there was 1 person who had tested positive afterwards, but silence because there was no big outbreak.

That is indeed good news. And a lot better outcome than the super spreader in Korea who gave it to over 20 people during a night of clubbing.

As for the modern news media all I can say is "Bless their little hearts".

That is indeed good news. And a lot better outcome than the super spreader in Korea who gave it to over 20 people during a night of clubbing.

If it bleeds it leads.

From new reports, I get the impression that the medical community doesn't actually know yet exactly when an infected person is shedding the virus and when that stops?

Nice to know, as by chance I go to Great Clips.

Maybe if the clubbers were all wearing masks, particularly the super spreader, there wouldn’t have been transmission.

But I guess it’s tough to drink with a mask on.

From new reports, I get the impression that the medical community doesn't actually know yet exactly when an infected person is shedding the virus and when that stops?
I believe that the medical community is pretty sure that an infected person is shedding the virus a day or two before developing symptoms. Once they recover it’s not as clear, but general practice seems to be testing negative for a few days or for the untested person a few days after symptoms subside.

Even folks who test negative for a while, and later test positive again, they think the virus shedding is so low that they aren’t likely infectious.

Last edited:

This is a tough story to follow through on though because the party people probably went back to many, many towns and cities. The cases could have been peppered all over from 10 minutes away to an hour or two away. Very complicated to cover. I think the Great Clips incident is much easier to follow and report on.

Great news that none of the 146 folks who were quarantined after exposure to two infected hairdressers tested positive (46 tested) nor developed symptoms. So no new Covid 19 cases. It was definitely a situation - close contact for ~20 mins - that could have caused spread. So it appears that the double masking (hairdresser and client) may have worked. https://abcnews.go.com/US/covid-19-cases-tied-missouri-hair-salon-exposure/story?id=71140134

I hope this bodes well for the people who have been demonstrating. Many, many of them were masked from what I saw. All (or mostly) masked plus being outdoors is hopefully going to bring good news.

My state is getting worried about hospital bed capactiy due to the virus. It is just crazy how little we know or are told about this mess.

It must be the double masks because if you are exposed* without face and mask, your chances of getting it are in the 1 out of 7 range. This is according to this study in the NEJM: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2016638

The study was set-up to see if giving hydroxychloroquine after a "high risk exposure"* would change anything (the results were not statistically significant).

But the interesting thing I took away was that if you experienced this kind of exposure, you were 12% to 14% likely to get the disease.

* Less that 6 feet away from the infected person for 10 or more minutes without a mask or eye protection.

I hope this bodes well for the people who have been demonstrating. Many, many of them were masked from what I saw. All (or mostly) masked plus being outdoors is hopefully going to bring good news.

I’m hoping so too- outdoors and mask wearing. I guess we’ll have an idea in a couple of weeks? Or quite a bit longer since they are not likely traced by any health department.

Great news that none of the 146 folks who were quarantined after exposure to two infected hairdressers tested positive (46 tested) nor developed symptoms. So no new Covid 19 cases.

That's great to hear!

Today we both went to Supercuts and got our hair cut for the first time since the pandemic. It feels wonderful to have shorter hair. I feel human again.

He usually goes to a traditional men's barber, but his barbershop has not yet re-opened so he decided to try Supercuts for the first time. He seemed to think they did a reasonable job. We were the only customers there, so it was just the two of us and the two hair stylists.

In case you missed other non-issue news:

A large asteroid did NOT hit earth today wiping out the population ! ;)

I rode my bike over to the Capitol for one protest and down to Black Lives Matter Plaza for another (early before the large crowds arrived). I wore a mask when I got there and kept a reasonable distance. Almost everyone was wearing a mask. I had been following the Great Clips results and IIRC already knew that all of those tested were negative. I could already see that the Ozarks and the NC Speedway crowds seemed to be nothing burgers as well, so I was pretty comfortable checking out the protests.

It is becoming evident that reasonable precautions are fairly protective. Indoor proximity to infected individuals without masks for significant periods of time appears to be the most likely path to infection..

I rode my bike over to the Capitol for one protest and down to Black Lives Matter Plaza for another (early before the large crowds arrived). I wore a mask when I got there and kept a reasonable distance. Almost everyone was wearing a mask. I had been following the Great Clips results and IIRC already knew that all of those tested were negative. I could already see that the Ozarks and the NC Speedway crowds seemed to be nothing burgers as well, so I was pretty comfortable checking out the protests.

It is becoming evident that reasonable precautions are fairly protective. Indoor proximity to infected individuals without masks for significant periods of time appears to be the most likely path to infection..

I don't think the NC Speedway is a nothing burger--North Carolina is having a big spike in cases and hospitalizations and Alamance County, NC where the speedway is located is having one of the biggest spikes. No tracing is being done from the speedway crowd because there all no records of who attended.. The NC Governor announced today that he is shutting down the speedway as an "imminent health danger." Lawsuits will surely follow. The pictures of the large crowd at the speedway showed no masks.

I don't think the NC Speedway is a nothing burger--North Carolina is having a big spike in cases and hospitalizations and Alamance County, NC where the speedway is located is having one of the biggest spikes. No tracing is being done from the speedway crowd because there all no records of who attended.. The NC Governor announced today that he is shutting down the speedway as an "imminent health danger." Lawsuits will surely follow. The pictures of the large crowd at the speedway showed no masks.

I shouldn’t have dismissed those events. My primary point was that the protests (at least in DC) may not have been major spreading events since the vast majority of participants were masked and all were outside. Masking is emerging as a very effective means to limit spread and merely being outside is looking helpful in general. I don’t condone any gatherings without masks- even outdoors.

Per the linked article: "They both were symptomatic and were wearing face coverings while working, health officials said". This is highly irresponsible behavior AFAIC.
Of course it was! And people were shocked and horrified. But very fortunately their 6 coworkers and 140 clients were not infected, so perhaps the distancing for coworkers plus everyone wearing masks prevented a serious outbreak.

Unfortunately there are going to be ambulatory infected folks who don’t realize it (or are in denial) and hopefully them wearing masks at work and out in public will limit spread.

Last edited:
Per the linked article: "They both were symptomatic and were wearing face coverings while working, health officials said". This is highly irresponsible behavior AFAIC.

Meanwhile:

DC Guard members test positive for COVID-19 after protests

https://www.armytimes.com/news/coro...mbers-test-positive-for-covid-after-protests/

It's extremely irresponsible behavior but it was quite a good field test of the benefits of everyone wearing a mask.

I haven't reviewed any specific video of guard members but I do remember seeing many unmasked law enforcement faces when watching coverage of the demonstrators. The military is usually very conservative with 'government property' so I'm surprised all the Guard members weren't wearing masks.

Yeah, why weren’t law enforcement wearing masks. Not available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom