Oh, the young and the virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
<sarcasm/joke>
I think the young are just trying to re-balance the books. Financial resources are skewed towards the old, so this thing is just the ticket to save social security, medicare, pensions etc. since it kills the old and largely spares the young. It's a wonder governments worldwide are trying to contain this thing at all. You'd think it's the answer to their prayers for the straining social security/pension systems. You probably couldn't engineer something any better. It's like Logan's Run with a virus instead of a carousel and an age limit closer to 50 than 30.
The culling characteristics of this virus have been hard to ignore. But a lot of people get hurt if hospitals are overwhelmed including/especially the medical workers, so brakes have to be applied regardless.

The culling characteristics of this virus have been hard to ignore. But a lot of people get hurt if hospitals are overwhelmed including/especially the medical workers, so brakes have to be applied regardless.

Applying the brakes enough so that regular emergencies can be handled, is optimum for allowing the virus to kill off the old folks, while preserving the young ones.

By Italy flooding their hospitals, they have put everyone at risk of death, not just the old. So everyone is invested ;)

<sarcasm/joke>
I think the young are just trying to re-balance the books. Financial resources are skewed towards the old, so this thing is just the ticket to save social security, medicare, pensions etc. since it kills the old and largely spares the young. It's a wonder governments worldwide are trying to contain this thing at all. You'd think it's the answer to their prayers for the straining social security/pension systems. You probably couldn't engineer something any better. It's like Logan's Run with a virus instead of a carousel and an age limit closer to 50 than 30.

Yeah, well maybe all us old folks should change our wills and leave all our money to charities instead of the kids. Be interesting to see how fast a vaccine is developed then.

They need to put these 5 in a room together with a bathroom, some food staples and lock the bleeping door for 2 weeks.

No need for them to stay quarantined because the whole state is about to blow up with COVID-19.

The heat maps by Kinsa Medical are quite interesting. The have been mapping temperature data for 8 years. When they saw what was happening with Florida last Friday, they felt they had a moral imperative to get the information to Florida authorities. Apparently, it didn't make much of an impression on Governor DeSantis. The people who headed down to FL from NY might regret their decision in about 2 weeks.

https://healthweather.us/

I noticed that. Two highly different demographics. Two perspectives. Same result. They both see it as having nothing much to lose. The young think they will live forever and will not be harmed. Which has been a universal and inherent trait of young people and without which no progress would have been made. The old, "Don't tell me I can't do that" mentality. And Old People reach a point where they are sort of easy with the idea of "If I die, I die, now don't bother me." Vulnerability equals invulnerability. 'I can't do the 70 or 80 years over again and they can't make me.'
Covid 19 is No laughing matter but you put me in mind of an old joke.

Octogenarian father calls his 50 year old son. “Son, your mother has been gone a long while now and I met the woman of my dreams. We are getting married next week, I really want you to come over tonight for dinner and meet her and give me your honest opinion “

Son shows up at his fathers house and meets the fiancé, 28 to 30 years old, gorgeous 5’9”” blond with a killer body, and legs for days. Great personality, funny, smart, kind etc

After dinner father takes his son out to the back porch and says “Ok, I want your honest opinion!” Son stammers “ uh well Dad she is Spectacular! What is not to love? And besides the dinner she cooked was amazing, but I have to ask... are you two getting busy? Can you satisfy her?”

Well son, we are doing it 3 or 4 times a day and it is amazing or as you kids say mind blowing! and she says she never knew sex could be so great!” Son thinks it over and says “ well Dad you are 85 and she can’t be even 30, I see the attraction but with all that exertion don’t you think this relationship might prove fatal?” Father pauses for a moment and tells his son “That’s true but ......if she dies... she dies”

Someone joked about this, but evidently coronavirus parties are a thing now:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...rtygoer-has-covid-19-says-beshear/5076632002/

It's a great way to increase herd immunity (revenge of the kids for "chickenpox parties"). Spread the news and encourage more people to host them. The faster we can get infections spreading the faster we can get this all over with. <tongue-in-cheek here>

I have a decade or two of forever stamps :blush:

I'm one of those meat starer's, there are differences, and DW has particular meat desires, so life is better if I pick carefully. :angel:
I'm one of the buy one stamp to mail a letter guy.
I have plenty of stamps, but if I'm mailing something important I bring it down to the post office.
Has nothing to do with how cute the counter lady is.

AnonEMouse may be trying for sarcasm, but many youthful commenters and bloggers are not. There really is, out there, a strong dislike of older people, those physically unattractive, boring, critical older people who had it so easy coming up. No doubt there always has been.

I have a theory that the adversaries who will use anything to divide our nation and weaken us, are working overtime on "boomer elimination virus"-type memes to keep the older ones stirred up and their blood pressure high, and prevent us from working effectively together.

AnonEMouse may be trying for sarcasm, but many youthful commenters and bloggers are not. There really is, out there, a strong dislike of older people, those physically unattractive, boring, critical older people who had it so easy coming up. No doubt there always has been.

I have a theory that the adversaries who will use anything to divide our nation and weaken us, are working overtime on "boomer elimination virus"-type memes to keep the older ones stirred up and their blood pressure high, and prevent us from working effectively together.
Remember "Don't trust anyone over 30," circa 1965?

Both very good points, thank you.

I remember that, and it did seem so true that over 30 was OLD...

By the time I was in my forties, and attending University (again) I had completely forgotten about it, until my lab partners talked about birthdays and ages.
They were about 23, and they asked how old was I, and stopped dead in their tracks when I told them. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom