Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 08:19 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It's the norm.

For example, Germany has 24,873 cases, with 266 recovered, and 94 dead.

How many are still intubated with ventilators, in ICU, in hospital rooms, or convalescing in a rehab somewhere, we don't know.
I don’t see how they could possibly follow up with 24,873 people to find out how they are doing. They obviously have a procedure in place to report test results but reporting recovery cases would require a major follow up effort on all of those people. How would they even collect the contact information to do such a massive follow up? And how does one know if one has recovered? These people are not all taking follow up tests weeks later. Are you recovered if you are feeling better? That would be very subjective.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2020, 08:23 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^^^ Yes, the more you look at data, the more questions you have.

Perhaps some countries have a better system where they administer a follow-up test, even for people who were sent home to convalesce.

The number with the least uncertainty is the fatality count, if we ignore the people who die at home and are never included in the confirmed cases in the first place.

For Italy, the number of the dead is staggering. It's 5476 out of 59,138, or 9.3%.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-22-2020, 08:35 PM   #123
Administrator

You assume the denominator is correct. How many more people catch the virus, have mild symptoms and recover at home without ever seeking medical assistance? That will make your case fatality rate lower.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:48 PM   #124
Give me a forum ...

True. If you don't feel sick enough to get help, you may still have the Covid-19 virus, but not counted in the confirmed cases.

I guess we can say that in the case of Italy, if a person is sick enough to seek medical help and to get tested and confirmed, the risk of death is 9.3%.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-24-2020, 01:41 PM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets

<sarcasm/joke>
I think the young are just trying to re-balance the books. Financial resources are skewed towards the old, so this thing is just the ticket to save social security, medicare, pensions etc. since it kills the old and largely spares the young. It's a wonder governments worldwide are trying to contain this thing at all. You'd think it's the answer to their prayers for the straining social security/pension systems. You probably couldn't engineer something any better. It's like Logan's Run with a virus instead of a carousel and an age limit closer to 50 than 30.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:37 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEMouse View Post
<sarcasm/joke>
I think the young are just trying to re-balance the books. Financial resources are skewed towards the old, so this thing is just the ticket to save social security, medicare, pensions etc. since it kills the old and largely spares the young. It's a wonder governments worldwide are trying to contain this thing at all. You'd think it's the answer to their prayers for the straining social security/pension systems. You probably couldn't engineer something any better. It's like Logan's Run with a virus instead of a carousel and an age limit closer to 50 than 30.
The culling characteristics of this virus have been hard to ignore. But a lot of people get hurt if hospitals are overwhelmed including/especially the medical workers, so brakes have to be applied regardless.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:07 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The culling characteristics of this virus have been hard to ignore. But a lot of people get hurt if hospitals are overwhelmed including/especially the medical workers, so brakes have to be applied regardless.
Applying the brakes enough so that regular emergencies can be handled, is optimum for allowing the virus to kill off the old folks, while preserving the young ones.

By Italy flooding their hospitals, they have put everyone at risk of death, not just the old. So everyone is invested
Old 03-24-2020, 03:08 PM   #128
Administrator

Huh?
Old 03-24-2020, 09:23 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEMouse View Post
<sarcasm/joke>
Yeah, well maybe all us old folks should change our wills and leave all our money to charities instead of the kids. Be interesting to see how fast a vaccine is developed then.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:34 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
They need to put these 5 in a room together with a bathroom, some food staples and lock the bleeping door for 2 weeks.
No need for them to stay quarantined because the whole state is about to blow up with COVID-19.

The heat maps by Kinsa Medical are quite interesting. The have been mapping temperature data for 8 years. When they saw what was happening with Florida last Friday, they felt they had a moral imperative to get the information to Florida authorities. Apparently, it didn't make much of an impression on Governor DeSantis. The people who headed down to FL from NY might regret their decision in about 2 weeks.

https://healthweather.us/
Old 03-24-2020, 10:32 PM   #131
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
I noticed that. Two highly different demographics. Two perspectives. Same result. They both see it as having nothing much to lose. The young think they will live forever and will not be harmed. Which has been a universal and inherent trait of young people and without which no progress would have been made. The old, "Don't tell me I can't do that" mentality. And Old People reach a point where they are sort of easy with the idea of "If I die, I die, now don't bother me." Vulnerability equals invulnerability. 'I can't do the 70 or 80 years over again and they can't make me.'
Covid 19 is No laughing matter but you put me in mind of an old joke.

Octogenarian father calls his 50 year old son. “Son, your mother has been gone a long while now and I met the woman of my dreams. We are getting married next week, I really want you to come over tonight for dinner and meet her and give me your honest opinion “

Son shows up at his fathers house and meets the fiancé, 28 to 30 years old, gorgeous 5’9”” blond with a killer body, and legs for days. Great personality, funny, smart, kind etc

After dinner father takes his son out to the back porch and says “Ok, I want your honest opinion!” Son stammers “ uh well Dad she is Spectacular! What is not to love? And besides the dinner she cooked was amazing, but I have to ask... are you two getting busy? Can you satisfy her?”

Well son, we are doing it 3 or 4 times a day and it is amazing or as you kids say mind blowing! and she says she never knew sex could be so great!” Son thinks it over and says “ well Dad you are 85 and she can’t be even 30, I see the attraction but with all that exertion don’t you think this relationship might prove fatal?” Father pauses for a moment and tells his son “That’s true but ......if she dies... she dies”
Old 03-25-2020, 09:43 AM   #132
Recycles dryer sheets

Someone joked about this, but evidently coronavirus parties are a thing now:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ar/5076632002/

It's a great way to increase herd immunity (revenge of the kids for "chickenpox parties"). Spread the news and encourage more people to host them. The faster we can get infections spreading the faster we can get this all over with. <tongue-in-cheek here>
Old 03-25-2020, 08:21 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I have a decade or two of forever stamps

I'm one of those meat starer's, there are differences, and DW has particular meat desires, so life is better if I pick carefully.
I'm one of the buy one stamp to mail a letter guy.
I have plenty of stamps, but if I'm mailing something important I bring it down to the post office.
Has nothing to do with how cute the counter lady is.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:44 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Lots of spring breakers returning home/back to university ill from COVID-19.

Here is a link to a cool animation that shows how one cluster of phones on one Fort Lauderdale beach spread out along the eastern US as they returned home.
https://mobile.twitter.com/TectonixG...-pandemic.html

Related article https://www.al.com/coronavirus/2020/...-pandemic.html
Old 04-02-2020, 03:47 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

AnonEMouse may be trying for sarcasm, but many youthful commenters and bloggers are not. There really is, out there, a strong dislike of older people, those physically unattractive, boring, critical older people who had it so easy coming up. No doubt there always has been.

I have a theory that the adversaries who will use anything to divide our nation and weaken us, are working overtime on "boomer elimination virus"-type memes to keep the older ones stirred up and their blood pressure high, and prevent us from working effectively together.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:53 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
AnonEMouse may be trying for sarcasm, but many youthful commenters and bloggers are not. There really is, out there, a strong dislike of older people, those physically unattractive, boring, critical older people who had it so easy coming up. No doubt there always has been.

I have a theory that the adversaries who will use anything to divide our nation and weaken us, are working overtime on "boomer elimination virus"-type memes to keep the older ones stirred up and their blood pressure high, and prevent us from working effectively together.
Remember "Don't trust anyone over 30," circa 1965?
Old 04-02-2020, 09:12 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Both very good points, thank you.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:18 AM   #138

5-to-1, baby
1 in 5

(Mr Mojo Risin and the boys)
Old 04-02-2020, 09:50 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I remember that, and it did seem so true that over 30 was OLD...

By the time I was in my forties, and attending University (again) I had completely forgotten about it, until my lab partners talked about birthdays and ages.
They were about 23, and they asked how old was I, and stopped dead in their tracks when I told them.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:02 PM   #140

59 out of 70 on this charter trip are either positive or *presumed* positive...

44 UT Students returend from Mexico with coronavirus
Closed Thread

Tags
virus