Omicron/Covid timeline to manifest

Here's an very interesting interview done by Peter Attia with two other doctors/researchers who are looking into Covid. I actually left with a feeling of hope that we will find our way out of this mess sooner than later. The good news is that we have learned a lot about how to treat and manage this disease. The bad news is the messaging that goes out to the public needs a healthy dose of improvement. Of course, we are still learning more so some or all of 'the science' could change.

https://peterattiamd.com/covid-19-current-state-omicron/

Their comments on "what we can test is what we manage" and the massive testing of all the pro athletes were very interesting.

A word of warning: any position (including extreme ones) on Covid, masks, vaccines, social controls, etc. can be supported by taking comments out of context. You really have to listen with an open mind as they discuss the various issues. I like the fact that upfront Attia sets up a rule about making sure they are clear on what are verifiable facts and what are opinions. And the three doctors seem to take pains to do that. Thankfully, unlike many of Attia's interviews, it's NOT loaded with medical jargon that will confuse most laypeople.

Oh, did I mention its over 2.5 hours long? I listened to it in chunks as I went about my daily chores. The show notes list the time points where certain issues are discussed. I found that a nice way to divide this monster up into chewable bites.

Thanks for letting us know about this podcast. I’ll delve in it today while I shop. I’ll wear full N95 when I go out for awhile.

DH listens to podcasts at 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 speed. I tried it and it just makes me anxious!

Thanks for posting this. Really interesting and informative.

Here's an very interesting interview done by Peter Attia with two other doctors/researchers who are looking into Covid. I actually left with a feeling of hope that we will find our way out of this mess sooner than later. The good news is that we have learned a lot about how to treat and manage this disease. The bad news is the messaging that goes out to the public needs a healthy dose of improvement. Of course, we are still learning more so some or all of 'the science' could change.

https://peterattiamd.com/covid-19-current-state-omicron/

Interesting and concerning to read all these posts. I am sorry for those who are suffering or have suffered with Covid and hope you all have speedy recoveries.

We are both lucky enough to have never had or needed a test since the start of the pandemic (Touch Wood). We have never had related symptoms. We have always got our jabs immediately they were sanctioned (withing days). Other than the common snivels (Allergies in my case, or after a red wine binge), we have never had any symptoms. We are both over 60 and I have a pacemaker. hopefully we will never need one. I will get some tests for the house when they are provided by the upcoming website.

This is a lot different to my neighbor who has used up their fair share of testing services as well as ours and have never come up positive. They probably have had over 20 tests at local testing stations, and who know how many home tests. Why get tested unless one shows symptoms. It takes 3 or 4 days to show up in the airways.

We do everything as normal, as we always have done with the exception of eating out inside and overseas travel, we do miss that. But we live in a nice holiday town, so it is not so bad. MMDV.

We do not think we have ever been exposed and we do not go to large spreading events.

We go out regularly and take appropriate precautions.

Last edited:
Both of us are double vaxxed and boosted, and have been very careful (masked in stores, not mixing at all) but obviously not careful enough. Just after Christmas, DW started coughing- first two lateral flow tests negative, third day positive. Confirmed by PCR the next day. She‘s still coughing but feeling better. I woke up at midnight New Year’s Eve with the mother of all sore throats. Tested positive the next day, confirmed by PCR test. Have now started coughing. I have asthma so my doctor wants to start me on antibiotics for safety‘s sake (I‘m in the UK -our tests are free. Antibiotics aren’t part of the usual NHS covid treatment; this is my private doctor who has been keeping tabs on me as well)

Both of us are double vaxxed and boosted, and have been very careful (masked in stores, not mixing at all) but obviously not careful enough. Just after Christmas, DW started coughing- first two lateral flow tests negative, third day positive. Confirmed by PCR the next day. She‘s still coughing but feeling better. I woke up at midnight New Year’s Eve with the mother of all sore throats. Tested positive the next day, confirmed by PCR test. Have now started coughing. I have asthma so my doctor wants to start me on antibiotics for safety‘s sake (I‘m in the UK -our tests are free. Antibiotics aren’t part of the usual NHS covid treatment; this is my private doctor who has been keeping tabs on me as well)
I hope you both have a speedy recovery.

Thanks for letting us know about this podcast. I’ll delve in it today while I shop. I’ll wear full N95 when I go out for awhile.

DH listens to podcasts at 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 speed. I tried it and it just makes me anxious!

Don't forget eye protection...

I think the home testing is a good thing, but omicron really seems to illustrate that it may not be a sure thing. There have been conflicting reports on the accuracy of the Binax at home test (in regards to detecting omicron) so I take that with a grain of salt. The test is definitely a "moment in time" test and makes a difference. Even the Binax folks say the best way to test is "serial tests"...taking several spaced apart at certain intervals.

I had symptoms after a fairly large get together about a week before Christmas that could be considered a "super spreader event" (lots of non-vaxxed folks, no masks, lots of people in small area). Runny nose, a little chest congestion but EXTREME fatigue. So much so that I spent nearly 48 hours not only in the bed, but ASLEEP for most of that time. Also had a fever for about 24-36 hours that peaked at 101.1 (if I recall). I took 3 Binax tests...the first at onset of symptoms, the second at the peak of fever and fatigue and the third on Christmas eve...all negative. DW never got sick. We haven't heard that any other attendees got sick. So, just a bad cold? Flu? Not real sure. I am donating blood next week and they are now testing for both types of antibodies (from vaccine and illness) so that might shed some light if I had COVID or not. Oh and I am 3x vaccinated...got the booster back in late August.

Last edited:
I think the home testing is a good thing, but omicron really seems to illustrate that it may not be a sure thing. There have been conflicting reports on the accuracy of the Binax at home test (in regards to detecting omicron) so I take that with a grain of salt. The test is definitely a "moment in time" test and makes a difference. Even the Binax folks say the best way to test is "serial tests"...taking several spaced apart at certain intervals.

I had symptoms after a fairly large get together about a week before Christmas that could be considered a "super spreader event" (lots of non-vaxxed folks, no masks, lots of people in small area). Runny nose, a little chest congestion but EXTREME fatigue. So much so that I spent nearly 48 hours not only in the bed, but ASLEEP for most of that time. Also had a fever for about 24-36 hours that peaked at 101.1 (if I recall). I took 3 Binax tests...the first at onset of symptoms, the second at the peak of fever and fatigue and the third on Christmas eve...all negative. DW never got sick. We haven't heard that any other attendees got sick. So, just a bad cold? Flu? Not real sure. I am donating blood next week and they are now testing for both types of antibodies (from vaccine and illness) so that might shed some light if I had COVID or not. Oh and I am 3x vaccinated...got the booster back in late August.
We took the Binax test and got a negative on Day 5 after probable exposure. We took a QuickVue test on Day 6 (with symptoms) and got a faint positive line. From what I have read, a false negative is more likely than a false positive, so we acted on the basis of the positive result. I'm wondering if we had taken a third test on Day 7, we would have seen a more prominent positive line. But we only had enough to test for the two days, so we couldn't. (Also double vaxxed and boosted)

From what I have read, a false negative is more likely than a false positive, so we acted on the basis of the positive result.
Yes. Always trust the positive. I hear people say they got a positive so they retested and got another positive so they retested again and got a negative so they decided they don't have COVID. Nope. Doesn't work that way. Positive is positive. If you get one, you're done. You have COVID. Don't keep testing hoping for a different result.

And yes, if you had tested again a day later, you probably would have gotten a more distinct line, but any line is a positive test, even a faint line.

Interesting and concerning to read all these posts. I am sorry for those who are suffering or have suffered with Covid and hope you all have speedy recoveries.

We are both lucky enough to have never had or needed a test since the start of the pandemic (Touch Wood). We have never had related symptoms. We have always got our jabs immediately they were sanctioned (withing days). Other than the common snivels (Allergies in my case, or after a red wine binge), we have never had any symptoms. We are both over 60 and I have a pacemaker. hopefully we will never need one. I will get some tests for the house when they are provided by the upcoming website.
<snip>
We do not think we have ever been exposed and we do not go to large spreading events.

We go out regularly and take appropriate precautions.

I am pretty much in the same boat as you. Never tested and never been actually exposed to Covid as far as I know. (There were two false alarms.) I always wear KN95 or N95 masks when I am outside my house but still indoors. My cloth masks and light blue dust masks are taking up valuable space in my closet. Maybe I will give them to an enemy. :rolleyes:

I would not be surprised to find out that I had asymptomatic Covid at some point in time.

My cloth masks and light blue dust masks are taking up valuable space in my closet.
A lot of people like to wear a decorative cloth mask over their N95/KN95. If nothing else, it lets you express your personality or match your outfit or whatever. It also gives an added layer of protection and helps keep your good mask clean longer.

The best mitigation strategy for preventing infection is wearing NIOSH approved N95 masks in high risk situations (flying, airports, hospitals, dentist) and make sure that you have a proper seal around your face. The alternative is just to avoid high risk situations. The vaccines won't prevent infections but will prevent serious disease (for now), but the medical community does not understand the long term impact of having this virus dormant in the human body. It will be impossible to vaccinate the population of this planet every 6 months with booster shots let alone this country. This pandemic has thrown us many curve balls and has exposed serious deficiencies and lack of knowledge of many public health officials. Many aren't even doctors. We have travelled many times by air during the course of this pandemic prior to and after vaccinating. In all cases we have worn 3m N95 masks and never tested positive either with PCR tests or lateral flow antigen tests nor were we symptomatic. My wife wore N95 masks when she was administering vaccines at a hospital mega site from early 2021 through mid September 2021 and never contracted the virus. She was tested regularly. NIOSH approved N95 masks do work when worn properly and still the best defense against the virus. The vaccine is the back-up.

Over the past 12 months I've worn the surgical masks, a few KF95 masks, and an N95 mask. There is no chance in hell that's a 1% difference between KF95 and N95!

With an N95, you have a sauna strapped to your face. A bit less comfortable, but it's very clear the protection is solid. There's no comparison to the other masks, and the 94 vs 95 has no chance of being correct. The added tight fit is far greater.

When I first wore a KF95 mask, the fit was good and it was much more comfortable. Definitely a step up from surgical masks. But my recent batch were a lower quality fit, and air definitely leaks in.

So in my layperson opinion, get N95 masks before you need them. Anyone who thinks there's a 1% difference between KF94 and N95 hasn't tried both.

Over the past 12 months I've worn the surgical masks, a few KF95 masks, and an N95 mask. There is no chance in hell that's a 1% difference between KF95 and N95!

With an N95, you have a sauna strapped to your face. A bit less comfortable, but it's very clear the protection is solid. There's no comparison to the other masks, and the 94 vs 95 has no chance of being correct. The added tight fit is far greater.

When I first wore a KF95 mask, the fit was good and it was much more comfortable. Definitely a step up from surgical masks. But my recent batch were a lower quality fit, and air definitely leaks in.

So in my layperson opinion, get N95 masks before you need them. Anyone who thinks there's a 1% difference between KF94 and N95 hasn't tried both.

I've never seen 94 masks around here, but I've been wearing N95 and KN95 masks with a 3-layer mask on top (to keep the 95 masks cleaner and to make them last longer.) I make sure that my mask concaves in a little when I inhale and that's how I know I have a good seal. It does get moist inside the mask a bit, but I don't mind.

I've never seen 94 masks around here, but I've been wearing N95 and KN95 masks with a 3-layer mask on top (to keep the 95 masks cleaner and to make them last longer.) I make sure that my mask concaves in a little when I inhale and that's how I know I have a good seal. It does get moist inside the mask a bit, but I don't mind.

When you exhale there should be no leaks where the masks seals around your face. If you wear glasses or sunglasses and it starts to fog when you breath, then the seal is not sufficient. KN95 masks have ear loops and do not give you a seal like an N95 mask with double headbands.

I use string attachments to loop around the back of my head for tighter fit with KN95s, plus a surgical mask on top. I have no issues with my glasses fogging up. I know some people put a tape over the top area of the mask and that might work as well, although I've never tried it myself.

I have six Binax kits left of the ten I ordered from Walmart in early October and December when demand was not that high. Originally I had intended to give a few test kits to out of state relatives at Christmas when I visited them but none were interested. My brother had assured me that his family was fully vaccinated before I left but then my SIL’s four siblings showed up at the last minute. When I asked about their vaccination status, my SIL got hostile so I dropped the subject.

I tested myself before the trip and again before visiting a niece and her family in a different city for New Years and I wore an KN95 or N95 mask in public places but not alone with family. Primarily tested to ensure I did not infect them as case rate was much higher in my state, mostly Delta, when I started the trip and I was going to restaurants and shopping during my stay. No precautions were taken by my relatives so seems like the pandemic is over in their minds. Finally back at home I am travel quarantining for a few days and testing myself again to ensure I did not catch anything.

Last edited:
As for the folks who wonder about testing so much... I test every time before going to visit my stepmom. She's 95. I would hate to infect her by accident. When my boys were in town and wanted to visit her - I made them test first.

My sister is heading over to AZ to see family. She's testing before she goes, and testing again the morning she plans to visit our Aunt who's 84 and has a boatload of medical conditions (auto immune, COPD, etc.)

Sometimes we test not because we think we have covid - but to make darn sure we don't to minimize our potential risk to an elder or immune compromised person.

We’ve been getting the Walmart binax tests as well. At $14 per kit, it’s at least less expensive.

We bought 4 kits in early December and went through them with kids colds/holiday testing. Now kids are sick again and covid testing is nowhere to be found. DD (vaccinated) stuck at home for 10 days because she said she had a sore throat. No fever, but no going back to school until we have a negative pcr result. School contracted pcr testing doesn’t have any appointments until mid next week. Luckily we found an alternative and should know by Wednesday, but it’s still three days of missed school.

We have one binax test left but it seems pointless to use it on DD. We managed to find a few more kits at Walmart due in on Wednesday.

The lack of good inexpensive testing options is a disgrace imo. For children, it’s a disaster.

Agreed. Where I live, the staff at Walmart and several pharmacies said they had been out of the BinaxNow tests for 2-3 weeks and had no idea when they’d be getting more. Online sources are a couple of weeks out on delivery times. This is why I paid $149 for a “rapid test” today. They said I’d have my results within an hour and it’s been 5 hours and I’ve heard nothing yet. Very frustrating situation.

This article talks about the price increase on the home tests being sold by Walmart and Kroger. Evidently there was a 100 day deal to sell at cost which has now expired.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone.../covid-test-prices-walmart-kroger/9094335002/

Yep. I didn't know anything about the "deal" (between several large sellers and the Biden admin to sell them "at cost") until I saw an article about the expiration. It now explains why the price was markedly lower when I bought them vs. an earlier date.

Walmart.com occasionally has the rapid tests in stock (in fact they have them right now) but delivery is about a week out.

Her plea to the health authorities was to allow her daughter to be vaccinated a month after Covid rather than 3 months. I was amazed to hear that a young person can catch Covid so soon after already having it.
Yes, it seems that a hugely different variant can override prior immunity.

Back
Top Bottom