Post Vaccination Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, they do offer pickup. Not the same as sit down dining with service! Also, I live 1/2 hour out of town, so by the time I get the food back home where I can eat it, I feel I need to nuke it to get the food hot again.

That said, I have done Applebee's pickup a couple times and enjoyed the meals at home. They have their take out packaging refined real well. Also, I do their two for $22 deal, where you get two entrees with sides, and also an appetizer all for $22, so end up getting essentially 5 meals for $22. One of the entrees I order is a Grilled Oriental Chicken salad, so no problems with that being a cold meal anyway.

There's an Applebee's about 5 minutes from me, I'll have to give that $22 deal a shot.

ATTN: Early retirement forum 'management'
Can you please do away with the ridiculous 'hot topic' warnings.
Good God!

There's an Applebee's about 5 minutes from me, I'll have to give that $22 deal a shot.

Also, I have always been quite please with the consistent quality of Applebee's meals. Don't think you can go wrong with them.

And depending on your location, their "two for $22" deal may only be "two for $20", as prices vary by location. Go to their website, plug in your zip code, and check your local location menu to verify pricing.

I plan to go back to traveling, eating out, in-person church, etc. All back to normal in my book. Except I’ll wear a mask in indoor public places. What’s the point of the vaccine otherwise? At least that’s how I view it. But I figured some people would be hesitant given the seemingly easy way they’ve adapted to the last year of isolation. To each his own. But I can’t wait. I’m 4 weeks away from that point.

I plan to go back to traveling, eating out, in-person church, etc. All back to normal in my book.

Travel, yes, I am looking forward to that as well. Looking forward to an around the country train trip, I so want to do that. Have already been going back to church, as our church has gone above and beyond in scheduling some extra services in extra spaces so as not to max out allowed occupancy in any one space. But when I go (with mask) I always sit in back, off to the edge, and never hang around afterwards to socialize. Just get in and get out. But the services do revitalized me nonetheless.

There is a lot of emerging information coming out in the last few weeks concerning the many variants that imply we should basically be doing what we've had to do over these last 10 months for the foreseeable future, even after vaccine. This is going to take a while.

This agrees with the information I have seen, as well.

The title of that thread is "Covid Vaccine Distribution". Why is discussing post vaccination symptoms on that thread OK yet not on this "Post Vaccination Behavior" thread? I'm confused.

OP here. The behavior I wanted to discuss in this thread was the behavior of the vaccinated after protection had started kicking in. I was not talking about the behavior of the vaccine in terms of how it felt

Had to laugh when I read this as that's exactly where DW and I are right now. We got shot #1 eight days ago and both immediately became more cautious.

DH and I are 6 days post the first shot and we feel the same way. No way I want to take any risks at all now. Of course, that means mostly just continuing what we are doing. We get curbside dining out pick up twice a week (a couple of places have your food on a shelf inside and you just go it and pick it up and leave). We get curbside grocery pickup every couple of weeks. Occasionally, get gas. Rarely have to go inside to buy something and we will do everything we can to avoid it until 2 weeks after the 2nd shot.

The riskiest place we have been, honestly, is going to get the shot. We double masked (clothes over KN95) and did our best to distance (lots of people seemed to feel 2 ft was good enough).

In 2 weeks my wife and I will receive our second vaccine if there are no further screw ups in our state. Even so we will continue to limit leaving the house and will be using the same precautions as before the vaccine. Masks with an additional filter over our mouth AND nose, distancing at least 6 ft., regular hand washing and alcohol sprays on hands and masks, will be our practice for a long time until safety is established world wide.

However, I will sleep better and feel more comfortable when we do leave the house. I plan on getting a long overdue haircut, teeth cleaning, and eye exam. Eventually we will plan a few road trips and later start back with traveling outside the country but plan to use our masks and sanitizers as a regular practice. Not that many years left to enjoy life before spending the days that are left on the front porch rocking chairs.

Cheers!

I am also looking forward to not being so nervous that I will catch the virus every time I leave the house to run an errand. Hoping to get my first shot in Feb or March. After the first shot, I may have the courage to increase my grocery shopping to once a week adding a couple of trips each month to the local food co-op for better produce. A few weeks after the second shot, I want to go to my favorite department store, antique store, and art gallery and maybe a museum - but of course not all in one day. A few neighbors and I may start back up getting together once a month for dinner or snacks in our homes, usually on the patio. Most of us are in Phase 1b but some are in a later phase.

I would like to visit my sister who lives several hours away (she just had her first vaccination) that I last saw Thanksgiving 2019. Other relatives live much farther or will not be vaccinated anytime soon. I will probably take a few road trips to outdoorsy places as I did last year. I don’t mind masks (always wear an N95 inside), distancing, hand sanitizer, etc. and will continue to take precautions as long as necessary. Can easily wait to later in the year or even 2022 to eat inside a restaurant, go on an airplane, or visit a large city. Besides visiting family and holidays, what I miss the most are concerts and music festivals but who knows when those will start back up or be totally safe.

Last edited:
It will be awhile before I can get the vaccine. Once I am at two weeks past the second shot, I hope to take a little road trip. Also, I will be less hesitant to go to the grocery store. I will continue to wear a mask.

We are scheduled to get our 2nd vaccine shot 2/15/21. I have already made appointments for a mammogram, dental cleaning and eye appointment beginning 3/22/21. I have not been to any health appointments since 2019. I still need to schedule a bone density, tetanus vaccine and have blood work done. I will probably schedule an appointment to get my hair done also. I have not been to a beauty salon since 12/19 and my hair sure looks like it has been that long. I might go back in an Aldi's and pick up some groceries quickly. We might be some road trips. We will do take out from our favorite restaurant again. They do not do curb side and there is inside dining.

I can't see myself eating inside a restaurant or traveling by plane for quite a while. I can't wait for the pandemic to be over.

I live in Canada and nobody seems to be vaccinated here yet. I can't wait to be vaccinated! It will give me the freedom to go to more stores (and even linger!), go hang out with friends, go out to eat, etc, etc.

2. There is a chance you could become sick yourself. The biggest risk is the South African variant..

If we're talking about today and the short term, I would disagree that is the case for most vaccinated people. You are still more likely to get COVID from one of the mainstream variants than the South African variant or the Brazilian Variant because, while the vaccine is 95% effective against the mainstream variants, they are far far more common than those variants that the vaccines provide less protection against. I'm over a week past my second Moderna shot, but the SA and Brazilian variants have not even been detected in my state, yet. In time, if those variants take hold, you could be right.

Anyway, over two weeks since dose #2, and nothing has changed with my behavior. No family members have gotten two doses yet, so I'm not visiting any of them at this time. I have no vacation or travel plans. I figured I would go out to eat at a restaurant one of these days by myself. They are opened for 25% maximum capacity with social distancing and masks required when not at your table. It's considered fairly low risk even if not vaccinated. The number of cases in my county is in the low 40's. I mentioned this to someone else, and they told me it was "risky behavior". :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hmm. I don't know that anything will change for us, except to the extent that other countries will be more likely to let us in, and destinations/institutions in the usa will be open?

We've continued to travel and eat out since April; we mask as those near us do, and are getting close to 10 pcr tests each.
Have trips planned to Alaska next week, middle east in May, and Patagonia/antarctica in Oct-Dec--plus a few driving trips. Vaccinations (once we can get them) will likely assist in those trips, as well as Indonesia in early 2022.

Last edited:
My 90 year old mother has now had the 2 shots of Pfizer and next week will be the end of her 2 week wait. She has made an appointment to get a hair cut next week for the first time in many months and she is very excited. It has really bothered her not to have her hair done every week. Unfortunately in her area mask wearing is not very common but she says she will continue to wear her mask to protect others.

Last edited:
The main impact of vaccination, in our case, will not be on behavior, but on the psyche. The cumulative weight of being constantly aware of risk, of needing to be vigilant, will diminish a bit.

Behavior won’t change much. Even with the Moderna / Pfizer vaccines, at around 95% efficacy, there is a significant question mark on efficacy with variants, particularly the Brazilian P.1 variant which has been decimating Manaus, thought to have been near herd immunity.

So, for example - We likely won’t resume in-restaurant dining until the vaccine manufacturers have achieved a steady cadence of booster shot production, as with the yearly flu variants. We’ll continue to travel, but just as during the pandemic, we’ll wear N95 masks and goggles on airplanes, and stay in Airbnb’s or small B&Bs, not large hotels with common hallways and shared ventilation ductwork. Behavior will remain cautious for awhile.

But, the background awareness of risk will shift to an ongoing sense of relief. Even though we’ll avoid indoor spaces for the most part, like in-store shopping... we’ll at least have the sense that, if we chose to, the risk would probably be much diminished. Even though we’ll continue traveling... it will be with a sense of greater ease, rather than a constantly calibrated sense of calculated risk.

Physical survival during the pandemic is not that difficult, for those of us who are fortunate enough not to have to do customer-facing work. As someone observed - no one is being asked to march through the steaming jungles of Vietnam while being sniped at - all people are being asked to do is stay inside for awhile, and away from other people. But to constantly entrain one’s thought patterns for attunement to risk and risk mitigation is a cumulative weight on the psyche - and vaccination will lift that weight.

TimeMeasure, very good post --I feel much the same way. I am so grateful to be retired and not have to go out in public everyday during these times.

DH and I have also been super vigilant since receiving the first shot. We even cancelled our bi-monthly house cleaning which we had resumed in May, out of an abundance of caution, even though we actually vacate the house during the cleaning. Our second shot is in 13 days and I've marked 3/3 as the day we reach peak immunity. I had been super excited about the concept of eating out (indoors as we are in a cold climate, with friends who have also had the vaccine), but then along came the South African variant, and I've seen mention that Pfizer will develop a booster for that and perhaps other variants.

So for now I'd say we will be in a holding pattern, regarding eating out. I am hopeful that there will be more clarity after research has been done on the existing vaccines vis a vis the South African variant. I do intend however to resume grocery shopping in person. I've made a haircut appt. and doctor's appts a few weeks out and will use the usual precautions.

We do hope to be able to spend time with out children indoors but will leave it to them to decide if they want to risk us transmitting to them.

Fortunately infections, hospitalizations and deaths are coming down at an impressive rate in our state.

Two weeks after my second shot I'll be going to the barber for a straight shave, my favorite local oyster bar for dinner, then to the chiropractor to get my neck done.

Looks like this all might happen by October.

Had dose 1 yesterday. Came home and slept 17 hours on and off. No side effects. 2nd dose in 28 days.

I've got several free flights of flyer miles stockpiled that I'd like to use up.
And a trip to Alaska in late July - one purpose of getting vaccinated in case vaccination becomes a requirement for air travel.

DH got his first shot this morning. My Mom is signed up for both of hers. What a relief!

Behavior before:
Almost all shopping online.
I saw my immediate family in person, always 6 feet apart.
Have seen friends, one at a time, outside on a walk.
Always wear mask.

Behavior after:
Add in inside dining and some attractions, with a mask.
Take my Mom on a trip!
Keep wearing mask and social distance.
Not worry so much!

We are scheduled to get our first shot on Feb 9th. So I'm guessing in late March we will be fully vaccinated and up to the immunity that gives.

If case counts continue to plummet then maybe dinning outdoors in the spring is possible. Perhaps we could then do a VRBO or Airbnb and dine outdoors or get takeout. So some limited travel. Our son and daughter-in-law are expecting their first baby in June. Hopefully we will be able to visit them then and might have to go into a semi-isolated state 14 days before that. Hmmm...but how will we know when the baby is coming to set up the 14 days? :):facepalm:

One well regarded epidemiologist (Osterholm) is very concerned that in the next 6 weeks to 14 weeks the variants will surface and drive up Covid cases.

Last edited:
We are scheduled to get our 2nd vaccine shot 2/15/21. I have already made appointments for a mammogram, dental cleaning and eye appointment beginning 3/22/21.

This is such a good idea! My Mammogram was due the start of this year and so I postponed since I knew I would be getting vaccinated soon. But going ahead and making an appointment soon is a good idea. I hadn't thought about pre-scheduling. Also I was supposed to start getting Prolia injections (every 6 months). The doctor said I could wait to do it, but I don't want to wait any longer than I have to.

The number of cases in my county is in the low 40's. I mentioned this to someone else, and they told me it was "risky behavior". :rolleyes:

Low 40s? Yes, that would probably influence my thoughts on risk. On Thursday there were 1663 new cases in my county and 15 deaths. So, that does affect my perception of risk quite a bit.

The main impact of vaccination, in our case, will not be on behavior, but on the psyche. The cumulative weight of being constantly aware of risk, of needing to be vigilant, will diminish a bit.

This is such a great point. I do want to not be so worried about it. We have been so careful and haven't had people in our house, etc. But, we just ahd to have the plumber here. He wore a mask and he distanced and he was mostly outside...only in the house maybe 10 to 15 minutes. We were double masked. But, it was still nerve wracking.

They still have to come back next week to do some work and will be in the house more that day. Of course, still masking and we will stay away from the rooms they are in. And, by then we will be 14 days past our first vaccination shot which supposedly gives you some amount of protection. So, it is still nerve wracking, but not as much as it would be if we hadn't had any vaccine. But this is work we need to get done.

One well regarded epidemiologist (Osterholm) is very concerned that in the next 6 weeks to 14 weeks the variants will surface and drive up Covid cases.

I do worry about that. Cases are still high where I am but it has started to dip slightly. But I do wonder about them going back up. Although as more people are vaccinated maybe not so much. But, this kind of worry is why I am going to still be careful for a few months after the second vaccination.

I'm a physician. I see COVID patients daily. I had my Pfizer vaccines on 12/18 and 1/8. My behavior hasn't changed one bit. I'm still wearing a mask, social distancing, avoiding crowds, staying out of restaurants, and doing everything I was doing before I was vaccinated. Why? Because 90% of people haven't been vaccinated yet.

Even with the vaccine, there is still a 5-10% chance I could get sick. There's a chance I could carry the virus and give it to others, like my wife and daughter who haven't been vaccinated.

I miss doing things just like everyone else but it's way too soon to be letting our guard down just because 5-10% of the country has been vaccinated. Hopefully by this summer, the vaccine will have reached a majority of people. We won't be at herd immunity levels yet because we need a pediatric vaccine for that to happen, but even 50% would be a huge improvement.

As others have said, I do worry less about getting sick now that I've been vaccinated, so that's a good thing, but behavior is pretty much the same as before.

Reactions: jj
Well, I was able to schedule my bone density test for 3/22/21.

I was feeling pretty good, that we had done pretty well with staying in and protecting ourselves. My dental cleaning is scheduled for 3/24/21. Tonight, I was chewing gum and a crown came off. I will call the dentist tomorrow. I don't see where I have a choice with this. We are scheduled for 2nd Covid shot at 8:20 2/15/21.

I forgot to say before that we will continue to double mask for quite a while.

Well, I was able to schedule my bone density test for 3/22/21.

I was feeling pretty good, that we had done pretty well with staying in and protecting ourselves. My dental cleaning is scheduled for 3/24/21. Tonight, I was chewing gum and a crown came off. I will call the dentist tomorrow. I don't see where I have a choice with this. We are scheduled for 2nd Covid shot at 8:20 2/15/21.

I forgot to say before that we will continue to double mask for quite a while.

Well, at least you have pretty decent protection since your 2nd shot is just a few days away. I know that Moderna reported that in the 2 to 4 weeks after the first shot you develop about 92% efficacy.

My dentist had me use denture adhesive as a temporary hold for my crown when it came off, but I was unable to get into the office for a few days. So you could also consider that, although to be honest, it held well but did pop off unexpectedly a few times. I didn't like that so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom