Vaccines this Fall

Got into the habit of getting the flu shot when it was a freebie at work so planning to get it.
Planning to get a covid booster too and likely make it an annual thing with the flu shot at least for now.
Don't think the RSV vax will be rolled out for my age group so likely won't be getting that.
Got the Shingrix series late last year/early this year. My arm felt like it was going to fall off during the initial days after the first shot. :LOL:

Flu - Yes
COVID - No
RSV - Was undecided, but after listening to the follow U-tube video, DW and I will probably wait another few years for RSV vaccine.

Interesting because Offit recommends the RSV vaccine. With 150k hospitalizations each year hey I’m in.

I’ll likely do all 3 vaxes. Had Covid this summer, the need to a booster for me is probably minimal but I’ll probably do one around October.

Thanks for posting that video, Mark1. I learned that there are 2 RSV vaccines available, one made by Pfizer, the other by GSK. The Pfizer vaccine does not contain an adjuvant, however the GSK vaccine does. In fact, it contains the same adjuvant that GSK uses in the Shingrix vaccine. Since I had a very severe reaction to my one Shingrix shot which was very likely a reaction to the adjuvant, I will avoid the GSK vaccine for RSV, just as my doctor (and common sense) told me not to get the 2nd Shingrix shot.

I always get an annual flu shot, and I will get the updated Covid vaccine as soon as it is available.

Thanks for the video summary as I almost never watch videos. Hard to skim thru them and mostly I just don't have the interest and patience.

Just got the flu shot today. I got the same advice as several above mentioned; wait for the latest COVID vax. The current one is no different from the last one I got. The pharmacist also hadn't heard of any combined shots on the horizon, at least not in the near future. It'll be nice to be able to cover 2 or three vaccines with one jab.

We will get the flu shot this fall and will pass on the rest; I think anyway.
+1

I must live under a rock. I've never heard of RSV until this thread.

Geez, another vaccine to research.

I always get the flu shot but not until the end of October as I read they are only effective for a few months.

Last edited:
+1

I must live under a rock. I've never heard of RSV until this thread.

Geez, another vaccine to research.

I always get the flu shot but not until the end of October as I read they are only effective for a few months.

Grand daughter had it and we didn't even know it was particularly communicable. So we hung around her for several hours. Definitely will ask PCP about RSV vax when available. YMMV

Just got the flu shot today. I got the same advice as several above mentioned; wait for the latest COVID vax. The current one is no different from the last one I got. The pharmacist also hadn't heard of any combined shots on the horizon, at least not in the near future. It'll be nice to be able to cover 2 or three vaccines with one jab.

The 2023 version is supposed to be out in about a month or 6 weeks. It is a monovalent targeted to XBB strains.

The 2023 version is supposed to be out in about a month or 6 weeks. It is a monovalent targeted to XBB strains.

I'm almost certain my PCP will want me to get this one to back up my past primary(s) and booster(s). My card is getting full!

I am up to date on my pneumonia and shingles vaccines.

I was actually prompted/ reminded to proceed with Shingrix due to a post which I read online, and am glad that I have had this done. My mother suffered terribly from Shingles, and one of my bosses had it spread to his eye.

I will speak to my PCP as to a schedule for my fall vaccines.

KP says I'm due Pneumococcal vaccine so plan to get Flu/Covid/Pnue all this fall. We have a cruise next spring so we want to be up2date on all to be protected while on the boat.

I always get a flu shot in the fall. I plan on getting a COVID booster when they are available, hopefully Novavax. I'm think I'm too young for the RSV vaccine but I need to get around to getting shingles vaccine one of these days.

Probably flu (although I didn't get that shot last year), shingles is a one time vaccination (think that is two shots). No other vaccinations on my time horizon.

Flu YES
Covid NO [Mod edit]
RSV NO

(We are late 50's, had 3 Covid vaccines and still got Covid....so don't see the value....always get the flu shot and we don't get the flu....thinking going to wait a few years for RSV...Also, we've had the shingles vaccines....and we get the tetanus shot every 10 years....Anything else we are missing out on?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to get Shingrix, but I've learned it can cause or make tinnitus and hyperacusis worse, which is pretty scary. I know there's another thread about that here where it even caused hearing loss. :eek:

I don’t see anything wrong with getting the flu vaccine but I stopped getting it when I saw this.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/past-seasons-estimates.html

Per the CDC, it’s typically less than 50% effective. They used to give the shot at work and I got mine then, but now that I’m not around so many people and given the general effectiveness, I stopped.

Per the CDC, it’s typically less than 50% effective.

Can't argue with that, but I guess it depends on which 50% you're in. :D

I've had the flu vaccine every year except one since 1971. Normally in either September or October. And in all those years I might have had the flu once, but that would only be a guess since it was never actually diagnosed. That's good enough for me to keep getting the shot.

Have had 2 Covid vaccines but no more for me, same with flu jab. Trying hard to boost my natural immunity by being fit and health, an unprocessed, low carb diet and plenty of exercise and sunlight.

Can't argue with that, but I guess it depends on which 50% you're in. :D

I've had the flu vaccine every year except one since 1971. Normally in either September or October. And in all those years I might have had the flu once, but that would only be a guess since it was never actually diagnosed. That's good enough for me to keep getting the shot.

Same for me. Never had the flu - for sure.

I wonder if it's only a strain sort of issue. If they guessed wrong on the strain, you'll still get some protection I think.

Yeah flu has always promised a low average each year, still I'll take 50% over nothing. I had it in 2016 soon after I retired, before I used to get the vaccine. Took a whole week being sick, and another whole week after that getting back to normal.

I'm retired, when I was working I didn't mind getting sick, now my time is my own I don't want to waste it feeling crappy if I can avoid it!

I don't get symptoms from any of annual ones so there's no downside.

While Shingrix knocked me out for a couple of days, still well worth it vs. the alternative. There is also some recent data which suggests a reduction in Dementia/Alzheimers for shingrix recipients (not yet peer reviewed, but optimistic).

Same for me. Never had the flu - for sure. ...
Ditto. Got all the shots, never got the COVID. To me, shots are like fire insurance. My house has never burned but that is not a reason to cancel the insurance.

No. Got original 2 shots. + Natural immunity. Appear to be covid free for now.

Got the standard flu shot in 2009. Did nothing because I got H1N1. Specific H1N1 vax was available the same week I came down with it. Missed it by "this much."

Got COVID this year after having boosters. But perhaps it lessened the impact. Who knows?

H1N1 sucked. Spiked a 103F fever in an hour or two after first feeling ill. Omicron COVID rivaled the sickness, but it was a slower burn and a lower fever.

Yeah flu has always promised a low average each year, still I'll take 50% over nothing. I had it in 2016 soon after I retired, before I used to get the vaccine. Took a whole week being sick, and another whole week after that getting back to normal.

I'm retired, when I was working I didn't mind getting sick, now my time is my own I don't want to waste it feeling crappy if I can avoid it!

I don't get symptoms from any of annual ones so there's no downside.

While Shingrix knocked me out for a couple of days, still well worth it vs. the alternative. There is also some recent data which suggests a reduction in Dementia/Alzheimers for shingrix recipients (not yet peer reviewed, but optimistic).

Yeah, I'd take just about any bodily abuse (like the Shingrix shot) to limit the potential for Alz. That shot (actually, the second one) knocked both DW and I for a loop. We suffered for 2 weeks. BUT, since DW had shingles before, we were both willing to suffer for the potential benefit.

Heh, heh, I may have mentioned that I took the Alz test recently (abbreviated, I'm sure) and passed it. Thank goodness. I'd take Shingrix every year for that result if it would help. YMMV

Ditto. Got all the shots, never got the COVID. To me, shots are like fire insurance. My house has never burned but that is not a reason to cancel the insurance.

Good analogy.

Flu shots at least don't make me feel bad either.

It looks like they are thinking of recommending RSV every other year but as I am under 60 does not apply yet.

Back
Top Bottom