Vaccines this Fall

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So it appears RSV vaccine is now available and Medicare will cover it. Also, Covid booster again, but does not appear to be specific to the latest variant. Then the annual flu shot. Not sure yet if we will go for all three or just the flu shot. It would be nice if at least two of these were combo (eg Flu/Covid). What do you plan to do?

Last year I got my flu and pneumonia vaccines one day, and two weeks later I got the (then current) Covid booster. Three in one day was too much to contemplate!

I expect this year I will get the flu and RSV vaccines one day, and a couple of weeks later get the new Covid booster.

I never get my flu shot this early in the year, so I'm waiting a bit to schedule any of this.

I avoided flu and pneumonia vaccines pre-COVID- knock wood, I don't seem much at risk for either. I can't remember the last time the flu caught up with me and I got pneumonia only once in my 40s when I was run down trying to work for a living, cope with a difficult marriage and raise DS. During COVID I git the flu and pneumonia vaccines, not wanting to end up exposing myself to COVID by hanging around health care facilities nor wanting to tax our over-stretched health care personnel.

I think I'll skip flu and pneumonia vaccines. If a COVID booster comes out that addresses the current variants I'll get it. I think it's been almost a year since my second booster. I haven't even thought about RSV. My immune system seems pretty robust. I kind of like to let it do its work. COVID and shingles were exceptions- genuinely scary and worth some prevention.

We both got flu and Covid vaccines in the Fall the last two years, one in each arm. I am expecting to do the same this year, but we'll decide each year. I'd like to think we won't need Covid booster/vaccines forever...

DW & I will probably get the flu shot this fall, simply because we get a 10% off coupon at the grocery store. (Yes, we're still cheapskates;)).

Despite having the Covid "vaccine" we've both caught it twice, so enough of that nonsense. And I'll wait until the jury is back in on the RSV shot too.

BTW, we've both had RSV and I can assure you it was MUCH worse than Covid.

_B

Despite having the Covid "vaccine" we've both caught it twice, so enough of that nonsense.

Exactly.

Also, before Covid I used to get every vaccination I could get. For example we got free flu vaccinations at work, without having to do a thing other than go down to the conference room and stand in line for it (during working hours!). A federal employee badge was all they needed for documentation. I got one every year back then.

My attitudes have changed drastically since Covid, though. I'm not going to seek out any of those vaccinations this year.

What is the latest on COVID vaccine? I haven't kept up. I had 6. I'm ready for a 7th. I'm not so concerned about COVID as I am very concerned about Long COVID.

So it appears RSV vaccine is now available and Medicare will cover it. Also, Covid booster again, but does not appear to be specific to the latest variant. Then the annual flu shot. Not sure yet if we will go for all three or just the flu shot. It would be nice if at least two of these were combo (eg Flu/Covid). What do you plan to do?

We got our second pneumonia shot this summer.
Will get usual, annual influenza this fall, along with new RSV when offered.
And the updated new Covid.
We have received every covid shot/booster so far.
UGH, we are also due for our 10 year Td booster, both that one hurts for a few days! So that will probably be by itself on a separate visit.

We just get whatever our PCP says we should get. A couple of months ago he told us that this fall there would be a single vaccine that included the Covid vaccine, so that's what we're expecting.

Because of our travel there is almost no vaccine that we haven't gotten. I even have a smallpox vaccination recorded in my yellow WHO book.

<mod note> Please stick to the thread topic, which asks if people are getting vaccinations, and if so, which ones. This is not the the thread to discuss Covid vaccine effectiveness.

I'm not "old enough" for RSV.

I will get the flu shot in Oct if my primary has it in the office when I go for my physical. If not IDK. Covid - IDK. Depends what is available and my mood

Now that I am not in an office I would say my exposures are down a lot though really I was WFH last couple years anyway but always expected to go back and sort of kept up for that reason.

Last edited:
I expect that we will get all the recommended vaccines - Covid, Flu and RSV. Combo or one at a time doesn't matter. Last year, we did flu and Covid together, one in each arm; one more shot won't make a difference. I would like to get it in before we go to Greece in late October.

I get the flu shot each year, and will get any Covid booster once available.

I also recently got my first Shingrix jab - that really surprised me, I was worn out for a few days. So round two of that will be done by EOY.

Pharmacist told us last week that they are supposed to be coming out later this Fall with an annual covid shot that includes the new variants. She suggested we wait.

I will most likely get the adult RSV shot that should be coming out soon. RSV knocked me down good - much worse than when I had Covid.

Since I'm now 65, I'll probably get the pneumonia vaccine. I get the flu shot every Fall during my annual check up.

Glad Medicare is paying for all of these.

I'm in my 50's, but I'll get what is generally recommended for my age group. It won't matter if Medicare covers is as I'm still on COBRA and no where near Medicare age, so hopefully I'll get some good coverage. I used to always get these flu vaccinations for free through work clinic.

I'm mulling the RSV vaccine, but will probably get it. I kind of like the idea that I'm vaxed for everything. Will definitely get flu and covid shots. I've avoided getting covid so far, and had a bad case of flu only once in my life - and it was severe! The NYTimes had a useful article on "Three Vaccines for Fall" which recommends in particular the flu and covid shots. However, another article on when to get the covid shot recommends later in October.

These articles are behind a paywall, but 1st 10 articles per month in the Times are free.

Definitely flu and COVID. I'm not sure about RSV. I'll have to check into that one.

Had recent covid, so not getting the shot. Neighbor had significant serious side effects from it which has changed my mind. DW disagrees and is getting them all.

I am on my state's equivalent to Medicaid so I don't know what is covered. I will have a physical in September and find out then. I will get whatever is free. The only vaccine that I would pay for is Shingrix when I am old enough to get it. My Mom and her Mom both suffered from Shingles for many months so I will definitely get that vaccine even if I have to pay out of pocket starting at age 50.

I always get the flu shot.

I'll see what my PCP says about everything else.

I expect I'll get flu and covid shots later this fall (late September, early October). Want to read more about RSV.

Younger son had RSV this past spring quarter and it was pretty bad from what he said. (Came home still sick after 6 weeks of illness... Bummed because he had been too sick to surf that whole time.). RSV is no joke if it took down a healthy youngster like my son.

Back
Top Bottom