Post Vaccination Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do plan to visit the dentist and get my long hair cut

Might want to rethink that! :LOL:

Now that I'm fully vaccinated, I'm all for starting to live a more normal life.
My breakfast buddies are all vaccinated except for one, if our restaurant (McDonalds) would open the lobby we would be going. We will probably find a new place to eat.

Not sure what we will do with our antivaxer. I think he will be out of the email loop.

Besides the massage (which I booked as soon as I secured a vaccination), we are setting up our first dining outdoors (with vax'd friends) and gatherings. Large outdoor party in July. Overseas trips will also be on the horizon, maybe the early fall (really conditional on how open they will be).

Guidance still advices masks for indoors in crowded places for extended stays, especially if variants and infections are still high in your area. I'm figuring out my gym plan now. We are getting counties with very high vaccination rates that are now moving to very low levels of infection (and opened to the loosest level of restriction).

I'm four days past my second shot.... is it wrong that I am scheduling a dentist visit, a doctors visit, the eye doctor and.... a massage? Guess which one I'm looking forward to the most? :LOL:

I'm thinking of doing the same, just got my second shot yesterday in Mountain View.

But I'm thinking of asking if the doctors and staff have been vaccinated.

Also need to get a proper hair cut for the first time in over a year.

The first appointment I made was in March (three weeks post-second vaxx) for a haircut - bliss! First one since November, 2019.

Today I went to the eye doctor - first time since March of 2020.

On May 10th I will go to the dentist - first time since February of 2020. I would have gone sooner, but that's the earliest they could fit me in.

I was surprised at the eye doctor today - I was able (and expected) to keep my mask on through all the steps/exams. Going in I had assumed it would interfere with some of the equipment, but it did not.

I guess that won't be the case at the dentist! :LOL:

All you massage junkies are making me think of scheduling my first-ever massage, to get rid of any lingering pandemic tension! :D

Massage today :dance:

My masseuse is under 40 so hasn’t had the option of a vaccine yet but she has school age children so has been doing 2 LFTs a week for Coronavirus since early March plus the beauty parlor is very well set up for Covid, all the staff wear PPE and the clients wear masks.

LFT = Lateral Flow Test

Last edited:
I'm glad many of you like massages. The young wife and I went to a spa several years back and had a side by side couples massage. It wasn't unpleasant, but I felt it did nothing special for me. She agreed with my assessment.

I know lots of people like massage, but not me or DW. I don't even like the porter to haul my suitcase, much less be half-naked and have a random stranger put their hands all over me.

Going to...a wedding!

In September. Flying from PA to WA for this. Since it is so far, DH and I are planning on doing some sightseeing and visiting friends (outdoors) in OR and CA as well. My niece is getting married, the engagement and wedding date were set in 2019 for 2021. Serendipity, yet it seems to have worked. We have a very small social circle these days, so it is important for us to attend.

DH, DS and I are flying first class, reducing exposure locally. We are renting a VRBO for part of the trip, and staying in timeshares for part of the trip. This reduces the need for restaurant dining. We will all be fully vaccinated. DH gets his second shot in 2 days and DS and I are done.

We are also buying travel insurance for the trip, in case of a COVID surge, which seems unlikely. In September, there is virtually no chance of rain in the west, so doing most stuff out of doors should work.

Last, our area was never hard-hit by COVID, so our potential exposure at home has been and will be limited. We've all been to the dentist's office since the fall. In my pediatrician life, I was exposed to meningitis bacteria and respiratory viruses all of my career, got many colds and viruses during the first 15 years, but almost none since.

What do you guys think of this?

EWgal since you are a medical profession, can I ask why you will only visit friends outdoors? By Sept every single adult person in the US will have ample opportunity to get vaccinated.

What don't you like about restaurant dining after you are fully vaccinated? Either you feel protected by your vaccination or you don't I'm just curious.

EWgal since you are a medical profession, can I ask why you will only visit friends outdoors? By Sept every single adult person in the US will have ample opportunity to get vaccinated.

What don't you like about restaurant dining after you are fully vaccinated? Either you feel protected by your vaccination or you don't I'm just curious.

I looking for people to poke holes in my plan. To answer your questions:

1. Any cavalier behavior prolongs this epidemic for all of us.

2. Anti-vaxxers. My sister's husband's family are them. By September every adult will not be vaccinated. They will risk not only themselves, but the 5% of the rest of us who are vaccinated yet not immune. The vaccines are not 100% effective. 5% will get infected. 30% of those will have long Covid. 1% will die.

3. CDC recommendations.

4. Restaurant dining-You can't keep a mask on while eating. This virus has aerosol spread, like measles and tuberculosis. I'm not keen on restaurants anyway. They are expensive, many over-salt the food, and I am as good a cook as most of them.

5. The west coast (OR, WA, northern CA) generally has great weather in September. I lived there 40 years. Perfect time to be outdoors, unless there are fires.

6. In the early part of my career, I got sick-a lot. I built up immunity to many strains of cold viruses, as well as learned to mask up when doing a strep culture, and wearing a mask in the ER when the vast majority of my patients were infants with respiratory illness. Ever see a 4 week old with pertussis, acquired from a mildly ill grandparent? Ever send one by helicopter to a Pediatric ICU, hoping she didn't die en route?

7. I don't have a full N95 mask, fit tested. Wearing a mask protects others from you, and only somewhat protects you from others. N95 masks protect you. We are going several places, visiting several people.

8. This:

https://www.sfgate.com/hawaii/article/Young-boy-dies-with-COVID-19-after-family-travels-16135407.php

Would you want to be responsible for this?

I looking for people to poke holes in my plan. To answer your questions:

1. Any cavalier behavior prolongs this epidemic for all of us.

2. Anti-vaxxers. My sister's husband's family are them. By September every adult will not be vaccinated. They will risk not only themselves, but the 5% of the rest of us who are vaccinated yet not immune. The vaccines are not 100% effective. 5% will get infected. 30% of those will have long Covid. 1% will die.

3. CDC recommendations.

4. Restaurant dining-You can't keep a mask on while eating. This virus has aerosol spread, like measles and tuberculosis. I'm not keen on restaurants anyway. They are expensive, many over-salt the food, and I am as good a cook as most of them.

5. The west coast (OR, WA, northern CA) generally has great weather in September. I lived there 40 years. Perfect time to be outdoors, unless there are fires.

6. In the early part of my career, I got sick-a lot. I built up immunity to many strains of cold viruses, as well as learned to mask up when doing a strep culture, and wearing a mask in the ER when the vast majority of my patients were infants with respiratory illness. Ever see a 4 week old with pertussis, acquired from a mildly ill grandparent? Ever send one by helicopter to a Pediatric ICU, hoping she didn't die en route?

7. I don't have a full N95 mask, fit tested. Wearing a mask protects others from you, and only somewhat protects you from others. N95 masks protect you. We are going several places, visiting several people.

8. This:

https://www.sfgate.com/hawaii/article/Young-boy-dies-with-COVID-19-after-family-travels-16135407.php

Would you want to be responsible for this?

That's a lot to unpack.

Cavalier behavior ...I would argue it's the consciously unvaccinated behaving that way.

From all current data that 5% number is much lower IRL.

Feel the same way about food in restaurants but I'm not concerned about eat an odd meal or two in them.

On that last story tragic but I'm not getting guilt tripped by a family that took their higher risk child on a trip to Hawaii. It must devastating to everyone involved.

I'm fully vaccinated and trying to figure out how comfortable to feel in public. Yesterday my Sis IL and I were at a local greenhouse. both fully vaccinated. people were wearing masks outside. We didn't wear ours but I kept thinking people were frowning at me behind their masks.

I even asked my SIL should we put our masks on. she said it beautiful out here and we don't have to mask up. It's a learning curve for sure.

Sigh, just wondering when this will end..

Yesterday my Sis IL and I were at a local greenhouse. both fully vaccinated. people were wearing masks outside. We didn't wear ours but I kept thinking people were frowning at me behind their masks.
Current CDC guidelines say you should wear a mask in that setting. If it's a small group of friends or family and you're all vaccinated, you don't need a mask, but with strangers, crowds, or unvaccinated people you should. Obviously you don't know the vaccination status of everyone else who was at the greenhouse.

I'll continue to wear a mask in public at least until the CDC says otherwise.

Current CDC guidelines say you should wear a mask in that setting. If it's a small group of friends or family and you're all vaccinated, you don't need a mask, but with strangers, crowds, or unvaccinated people you should. Obviously you don't know the vaccination status of everyone else who was at the greenhouse.

Same here when I shop for plants in an outside setting.
Still struggling whether to eat indoors. We will attempt daytime sparsely populated movie theaters with masks on soon with no eating.

I'm thinking of doing the same, just got my second shot yesterday in Mountain View.

But I'm thinking of asking if the doctors and staff have been vaccinated.

Also need to get a proper hair cut for the first time in over a year.

Anyone ever hear about HIPPA?

You really don’t have a right to know someone else’s “status”.

What should matter is if your vaccinated, if your safe. Sure we want others to vaccinate but that doesn’t give anyone the right to know who specifically is and isn’t vaccinated.

I could say more but I like this forum so I will leave it there.

I'm glad many of you like massages. The young wife and I went to a spa several years back and had a side by side couples massage. It wasn't unpleasant, but I felt it did nothing special for me. She agreed with my assessment.

What type of massage did you receive? IMO/IME, "Swedish Style" and some of the others are pretty useless and sometimes annoying. But firm therapeutic or deep tissue is amazing, although it's also a lot more work and wear and tear for the therapist.

What should matter is if your vaccinated, if your safe. Sure we want others to vaccinate but that doesn’t give anyone the right to know who specifically is and isn’t vaccinated.

HIPAA requires keepers/users (eg, health providers) of patient health data to protect it. It doesn't cover asking a provider if he/she is vaccinated. There are also exceptions/exemptions in place around COVID status and testing, although I am not up on the details there.

Still struggling whether to eat indoors. We will attempt daytime sparsely populated movie theaters with masks on soon with no eating.
For us the main driver is local spread of the virus. Whenever it really drops, we will be much less cautious. We’re not there yet.

We will continue to mask up in busy areas around strangers even outdoors - generally a shopping/retail situation or situation where people are confined outdoors and moving around making distancing difficult as we discovered on a recent birding outing. I wanted to not wear my mask, but people kept getting in my space.

In restaurant dining us just not appealing at this time. If local cases drop dramatically we may feel very differently about it.

Of course getting together indoors with completely vaccinated friends unmasked, no problem.

I think the main thing is seeing the spread drop dramatically. If unvaccinated folks drop precautions before the area spread drops, it just draws this out for everyone.

Last edited:

A nursery in an outdoor setting isn't outside? guess I shouldn't have said greenhouse. The buildings that held plants were open on both ends and had the side windows open.

New guideline as of the 27th don't say that...it was outside if I wasn't clear.

Last edited by a moderator:

I believe you are misinterpreting the 95% effectivity of the vaccine, when you state that 5% will get infected. Five percent may fail to become immune, but that in no way means that 5% will become infected. More than likely, only a small percentage of the 5% will actually contract the virus, especially as more and more people become immune.

Did you see the new CDC guidelines, ....outside is outside....I didn't get within 10 ft of anybody except my SIL they check you out outside.

I believe you are misinterpreting the 95% effectivity of the vaccine, when you state that 5% will get infected. Five percent may fail to become immune, but that in no way means that 5% will become infected. More than likely, only a small percentage of the 5% will actually contract the virus, especially as more and more people become immune.

This x1000. The numbers that are bandied about are simply flat out incorrect. I know this has been shared before, but I think it's worth sharing again...it's a risk calculator that has many adjustable variables.

https://19andme.covid19.mathematica.org/

As an example, if DW and I are exposed to 100 people this week in our community then I have a 0.33% chance of catching it (no mask wearing) or a 0.11% (wearing a mask IAW CDC guidelines). That equates to 3.3 in 1,000 or 1.1 in 1,000 odds.

That's a pretty damn small risk.

Last edited:
Sounds like the child of vaccinated parents dying of COVID on a Hawaii trip easily could have been exposed on the trip over there. Children who currently can’t get vaccinated, are still at risk regardless of their parents being vaccinated. Just because the parents are vaccinated doesn’t mean their child is protected except at home.

We’ve probably been lulled into a false sense of safety, of thinking kids are naturally immune. That may have sort of been true last year when children rarely showed symptoms and seemed to rarely spread. B.1.1.7 changed all that - children catch and spread that variant, and some of them do get sick. It’s now the dominant variant in the US and children are clearly vulnerable to it as well as involved in spreading it.

Last edited:

They don't have to answer me.

And I don't have to give them my business.

How is it a violation if the person is willing to volunteer information?

And vaccine status is SO DEEPLY PERSONAL.

:rolleyes:

This has nothing to do with HIPPA....

We are also contemplating attending a nephew's wedding in western Pennsylvania in late July. If we do, I expect we'll drive out there and stay in a hotel for 2 nights. The only hitch is that he, his parents and brothers have all announced that they won't get vaccinated (which is odd considering that my SIL is a nurse and works at a fairly high level in a large pharmaceutical company). Maybe they'll change their minds by then. And I don't know anything about the bride's family, so it potentially could be an entire wedding reception full of anti-vaxxers, and I doubt they have been or would be diligent about other precautions, such as masking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom