Post Vaccination Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
How fond are you of the nephew?

This has nothing to do with HIPPA....

I disagree.

No one has a right to others medical information. Period. I am pretty sure a whole bunch of posts on this thread prove why.

Scarlet Letter ,anyone?

We are also contemplating attending a nephew's wedding in western Pennsylvania in late July. If we do, I expect we'll drive out there and stay in a hotel for 2 nights. The only hitch is that he, his parents and brothers have all announced that they won't get vaccinated (which is odd considering that my SIL is a nurse and works at a fairly high level in a large pharmaceutical company). Maybe they'll change their minds by then. And I don't know anything about the bride's family, so it potentially could be an entire wedding reception full of anti-vaxxers, and I doubt they have been or would be diligent about other precautions, such as masking.
Well, I guess the risks are mainly on your nephew’s family and their guests, and low for you. Maybe the infections in western Pennsylvania will be so low by then that risks are low to all. There is also the risk of people coming from far out of town, and if some are coming from an area with still a high outbreak.

A high percentage of nurses have refused the vaccine, whereas doctors have overwhelmingly accepted them. It’s a head scratcher for sure.

This has nothing to do with HIPPA....

I disagree.
HIPPA is highly misunderstood. This is not a HIPPA issue. HIPAA states that healthcare providers can't release your information without your permission. I can't call your doctor to find out if you've been vaccinated but I'm free to ask you directly. You are under no obligation to answer me. You can if you'd like or you can tell me it's none of my business. Either way is fine, but if you do tell me, you're doing so of your own accord. Your privacy isn't being violated. Nobody else is releasing that information without your permission. That's what HIPPA protects against.

A related issue is going to be providing proof of vaccination to do certain things, like take a cruise, for example. Again, not a HIPPA issue. You have every right to refuse to provide that documentation if you so choose. The cruise line also has every right to refuse to allow you onto their ships if you choose not to provide that documentation. Nobody's privacy is being violated either way. And cruise lines aren't healthcare providers covered under HIPPA anyway.

I disagree.

No one has a right to others medical information. Period. I am pretty sure a whole bunch of posts on this thread prove why.

Scarlet Letter ,anyone?

Here is a primer on HIPPA, who it applies to, what it prohibits and what it permits. https://www.cdc.gov/phlp/publications/topic/hipaa.html In summary, it mainly protects patients from having their health information disclosed without their consent by people who are charged with safekeeping that information. As explanade correctly states above, I can ask you whether you have been vaccinated. You need not tell me, but you can if you want. And if I am unsatisfied with your failure to answer, I can take my business elsewhere.

What type of massage did you receive? IMO/IME, "Swedish Style" and some of the others are pretty useless and sometimes annoying. But firm therapeutic or deep tissue is amazing, although it's also a lot more work and wear and tear for the therapist.
Only ever having had the one, I don't really know the difference between types of massage.

Last edited:
I'm glad many of you like massages. The young wife and I went to a spa several years back and had a side by side couples massage. It wasn't unpleasant, but I felt it did nothing special for me. She agreed with my assessment.

It is a personal thing, but there is a high variance in style and with the training/style of the individual therapist. My favorite is deep tissue but that can be too rough for some. I also love a great asian foot massage with heavy pressure point work (shiatsu)-- I've had one in Beijing that was amazing.

Just did my first group ride in over a year (with folks outside of my household, but all vaccinated). More importantly, at the end of said ride just had my first restaurant meal in over a year (outdoor pizza with members of aforementioned ride). After a year of being a hermit I still feel a bit nervous about the whole thing - but I think I'll get used to it quick.

DW and I are vaccinated. Just booked our 4th trip on Delta for the coming year. 65 YO and have enough data to support our decision. Enough already.

HIPPA is highly misunderstood. This is not a HIPPA issue. HIPAA states that healthcare providers can't release your information without your permission. I can't call your doctor to find out if you've been vaccinated but I'm free to ask you directly. You are under no obligation to answer me. You can if you'd like or you can tell me it's none of my business. Either way is fine, but if you do tell me, you're doing so of your own accord. Your privacy isn't being violated. Nobody else is releasing that information without your permission. That's what HIPPA protects against.

I need to hire some household help to help me with caretaking of my DH as he recovers from knee replacement surgery. DH and I are vaccinated but DH has an autoimmune disease and his doctor has told him the vaccine may not be as effective for him as for other people. So I want to hire people who are vaccinated. Agencies are telling me I cannot ask whether their employees are vaccinated. Is that correct? If I am hiring a maid or caretaker to come in my house can I not enquire as to whether the person is vaccinated?

Agencies are telling me I cannot ask whether their employees are vaccinated. Is that correct? If I am hiring a maid or caretaker to come in my house can I not enquire as to whether the person is vaccinated?

I think the thing is the agencies are telling you they can't ask their employees, so they can't tell you. I mean sure, you can say "hey nancy, before I let you into my home, show me your vaccination card" and she can either show you or tell you to stuff it. Or you can say to the agency well I won't let her in and they can say, ok lady, but you still pay anyway.

Understand that in most states, someone under 50 is hardly likely to be 2-weeks post 2nd-jab as of today. It'll be a few more weeks before everyone can say that, depending on area of the country.

I disagree.

Scarlet Letter ,anyone?

Since you are a medical professional I'm surprised at this answer. I have no way to snoop in anyone's personal medical file. But I'm pretty sure no one will throw me in jail for simply asking someone if they were vaccinated.

I need to hire some household help to help me with caretaking of my DH as he recovers from knee replacement surgery. DH and I are vaccinated but DH has an autoimmune disease and his doctor has told him the vaccine may not be as effective for him as for other people. So I want to hire people who are vaccinated. Agencies are telling me I cannot ask whether their employees are vaccinated. Is that correct? If I am hiring a maid or caretaker to come in my house can I not enquire as to whether the person is vaccinated?

Well you can certainly drill down and find out about their masking policies for workers and such. That's probably about all you can do. From what we know now if your DH would sit outside the home while the cleaner is present he would be pretty well protected since he is vaccinated.

EastWest Gal said:
2. Anti-vaxxers. My sister's husband's family are them. By September every adult will not be vaccinated. They will risk not only themselves, but the 5% of the rest of us who are vaccinated yet not immune. The vaccines are not 100% effective. 5% will get infected. 30% of those will have long Covid. 1% will die.

By now you know the 5% figure means that for every 100 unvaccinated persons who get COVID, only 5 vaccinated persons will get it. It does not mean that 5% of all
vaccinated people will get COVID.

Or have I thoroughly misunderstood the meaning of the test results.

I agree on being careful to protect those who aren’t vaccinated through no fault of their own. I wear my mask indoors except for dining in. And I don’t do that regularly. I don’t do indoor stuff with people who are not vaccinated. I may be over cautious, but I can live with that for a few more months.

Compared to those on placebo, vaccinated folks were 95% less likely to catch COVID than the unvaccinated.

Only some of each group got infected during the trial period, but far fewer of the vaccinated people got symptomatic infections, resulting in that 95% ratio.

Absolute chances of infection are very dependent on presence of the virus in your environment and your behavior. And now the vaccination reduces that drastically, but not to 0%. Breakthrough infections are still possible, but quite rare so far. It also significantly reduces your chance of spreading the virus when infected, so it really helps reduce transmission.

We’ve hit the 50% of adults in the at least one shot club. That’s the point where infections nose dived in Israel.

We’ve hit the 50% of adults in the at least one shot club. That’s the point where infections nose dived in Israel.

I couldn’t remember whether it was 50% fully vaccinated.

Michigan has set up some interesting goalposts for vaccination rates and openings. This includes a 2 week waiting period once a % line is crossed, for the protection to kick in, I assume. They are using the at least 1 dose criteria - they are almost at 50% of age 16+ now.
When the vaccination rate hits 65 percent, Michigan will lift all indoor capacity limits, requiring only social distancing. After a 70 percent vaccination rate, or approximately 5.67 million adults, the state health department's broad gatherings and face mask order will be lifted unless unanticipated circumstances arise, such as vaccine-resistant variants.

Some steps may be delayed in specific areas if cases are high: more than 250 per day per 1 million residents.
MI%20Vacc%20to%20Normal.jpg

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/coron...trictions-michigans-covid-19-vaccination-rate

Last edited:

Yup. And add in the ~30% of the other half that have already had Covid-19 and we're approaching 65% immune. With one good push of vaccinations and completion of second doses we will exceed 70% immune and start reaching herd immunity where virus transmission cannot sustain itself. Should be weeks, not months.

Unfortunately, for various reasons (distribution, procrastination, hesitancy and true anti-vax) there are geographic areas of low vax uptake and those regions will probably continue to have outbreaks for a while. So the national numbers probably won't be as good as a small country like Israel, but progress is progress.

I’m certainly watching excitedly to see how all this plays out. I’m really hoping to see a sudden and drastic drop in cases and hospitalizations (and deaths) soon. But I have no feel for how quickly it might manifest.

Yes, both UK and Israel were in major lockdowns during their massive vaccination drives. It will probably play out differently in the US.

Last edited:

I think they had several restrictions on at the same time that their vaccinations ramped up.

So did the UK. They had real high numbers, which is why they went to the strategy of getting out the first shot to as many people and then waiting 3 months instead of 3 or 4 weeks between doses, which was how the vaccines were administered in the trials.

The US has varying levels of restrictions but now in general they're much looser than what Israel or the UK had as their vaccinations took off.

Agencies are telling me I cannot ask whether their employees are vaccinated. Is that correct? If I am hiring a maid or caretaker to come in my house can I not enquire as to whether the person is vaccinated?
That's a disgrace if true. They should be requiring their staff to be vaccinated and advertising that to potential clients.

You absolutely can ask someone if they've been vaccinated. They don't have to tell you, though. Then you have to decide whether or not to let them into your home. If your husband is immunocompromised, I would totally agree with you only letting vaccinated people into your house.

That's a disgrace if true. They should be requiring their staff to be vaccinated and advertising that to potential clients.

You absolutely can ask someone if they've been vaccinated. They don't have to tell you, though. Then you have to decide whether or not to let them into your home. If your husband is immunocompromised, I would totally agree with you only letting vaccinated people into your house.

A disgrace, gosh nursing homes and medical facilities don't require their people to be vaccinated..you would hold a cleaning service to a higher standard?

A disgrace, gosh nursing homes and medical facilities don't require their people to be vaccinated..you would hold a cleaning service to a higher standard?
Fair point. We are required to get flu shots but they haven't yet required COVID. I'll retract that point. I fully expect that once it is fully approved, not just emergency use, that it will probably become a requirement.

If I was running the agency, though, I'd certainly be advertising that my staff was all fully vaccinated.

Fair point. We are required to get flu shots but they haven't yet required COVID. I'll retract that point. I fully expect that once it is fully approved, not just emergency use, that it will probably become a requirement.

If I was running the agency, though, I'd certainly be advertising that my staff was all fully vaccinated.

One can hope that happens..

Harley has also been talking about home earth care agencies. They would be able to supply people to help with tasks like bathing, transportation. A bit tricky for Harlee’s DH if help isn’t vaccinated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom