Post Vaccination Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t plan to socially mix with partially or unvaccinated folks until community spread drops significantly, certainly not unmasked or sharing a meal, and definitely not indoors. If you all live in the same area and community incidence of COVID is low there, maybe it’s OK. But if folks are coming from several different locations - doesn’t seem like such a good idea. That’s my opinion.

Partially vaccinated folks need to be a lot more careful.

I've seen a fair number of cases of COVID in patients who have only had their 1st dose of the vaccine.

Until you are fully vaccinated - 2 weeks post - and everyone else is also fully vaccinated, you should not be having gatherings, especially indoors or unmasked.

I've seen a fair number of cases of COVID in patients who have only had their 1st dose of the vaccine.

Until you are fully vaccinated - 2 weeks post - and everyone else is also fully vaccinated, you should not be having gatherings, especially indoors or unmasked.

Yup. As I mentioned earlier a middle aged guy I am acquainted with developed Covid after his 1st shot and before his 2nd. (This did involve some very intentional bad behavior by a coworker who said he had been tested when he had not been. I am told that three people got Covid thanks to the coworker. Not so good.

Yup. As I mentioned earlier a middle aged guy I am acquainted with developed Covid after his 1st shot and before his 2nd. (This did involve some very intentional bad behavior by a coworker who said he had been tested when he had not been. I am told that three people got Covid thanks to the coworker. Not so good.

Maybe you already said this in another post, but how bad did he get? Just curious...

Canada says they may need to stretch the interval between COVID doses up to 4 months, so it will be a while before I get fully vaccinated.

Maybe you already said this in another post, but how bad did he get? Just curious...

I'm a little short of details as I don't know the fellow well. And the story is a bit different depending upon whom I talk to. Basically, he was a about a week past his first shot when:

1. Somebody claimed to have tested negative, when he was never tested.
2. Coworkers got Covid from the non tested guy when they met in the office for some reason.
3. He has a very light case of Covid. He is staying at home to recover and not infect others. He is also able to work from home.

I'm a little short of details as I don't know the fellow well. And the story is a bit different depending upon whom I talk to. Basically, he was a about a week past his first shot when:

1. Somebody claimed to have tested negative, when he was never tested.
2. Coworkers got Covid from the non tested guy when they met in the office for some reason.
3. He has a very light case of Covid. He is staying at home to recover and not infect others. He is also able to work from home.

Thank you! Great to hear that the guy didn't get very sick, even with just one shot.

I've been invited to a family get-together 11 days after my 2nd shot. All the adults there will have had at least one shot; there may be some unvaccinated children. I don't know all the details but if the weather is good, this will probably be an outdoor thing, but if the weather is bad it would move inside. Of course masks will be off to allow for eating.

Just wondering what all of you think about going? I will be close to full immunity but not quite there. I said yes but have had second thoughts; then had second thoughts about my second thoughts, etc etc.

Can they reschedule like 2 weeks out?

You are suppose to get some protection after one dose but around 3-4 weeks after that first shot.

Ideally all adults would be fully vaccinated and at least 14 days post the second dose.

I don’t plan to socially mix with partially or unvaccinated folks until community spread drops significantly, certainly not unmasked or sharing a meal, and definitely not indoors. If you all live in the same area and community incidence of COVID is low there, maybe it’s OK. But if folks are coming from several different locations - doesn’t seem like such a good idea. That’s my opinion.

+1 I had my second vaccination about 2 months ago and don't plan on socially mixing regardless of others being vaccinated unless everyone is vaccinated, it is outside, I am wearing a mask, and have the opportunity to social distance. I will not be going indoors except to grocery shop with a plan to get what I need and leave or to the dentist or doctor for a required follow up. This week was the first visit to the dentist for cleaning in over 1.5 years and a third visit to the orthopedic surgeon for cortisone for pain management.
In all visits I confirmed their procedures for disinfecting the office and work spaces. However, at the dentist there was person who wore his mask in the waiting room but did not cover his nose. That defeats the purpose of wearing a mask. I made it well known to the dentist that I was not happy. I am so tired of people who have no concern for any others as they arrogantly and potentially put the health of others at risk.

Cheers!

Well statements like do not encourage people to get vaccinated....

I guess you will never get Covid if you never leave your house or see another person either.

Are you really saying that 11 days past second isn't "acceptable". from what I've seen you would have pretty high protection levels after 15 days after your first dose.

Are you telling me that at 100% fully vaccinated I can't go near an non vaccinated person/ It's not like people have vaccine tattoos on their foreheads.

Does the vaccine work or doesn't it, that's the question?

The more qualifiers we put on post vaccine behaviors, the less likely people are to get it because they are going to think the vaccines don't work..

To the original question, if it can be an outdoor gathering I say go for it.

+1 I had my second vaccination about 2 months ago and don't plan on socially mixing regardless of others being vaccinated unless everyone is vaccinated, it is outside, I am wearing a mask, and have the opportunity to social distance. I will not be going indoors except to grocery shop with a plan to get what I need and leave or to the dentist or doctor for a required follow up. This week was the first visit to the dentist for cleaning in over 1.5 years and a third visit to the orthopedic surgeon for cortisone for pain management.
In all visits I confirmed their procedures for disinfecting the office and work spaces. However, at the dentist there was person who wore his mask in the waiting room but did not cover his nose. That defeats the purpose of wearing a mask. I made it well known to the dentist that I was not happy. I am so tired of people who have no concern for any others as they arrogantly and potentially put the health of others at risk.

Cheers!
What are you going to do if everyone doesn't get vaccinated? Let's say by some miracle we get a 70% national rate, does that mean you aren't going where at all. I don't know if you have a high risk condition, but at some point us vaccinated folks are just going to have to get on with it and have faith in the science.

Well statements like do not encourage people to get vaccinated....

Some people get vaccinated to protect themselves and others, reduce risk of severe illness or worse.

They don't do so to get rewarded with return to normal life necessarily.

Or return to normalcy for them is vastly reduced risk from covid giving you severe illness or death, with other aspects ancillary.

Some people get vaccinated to protect themselves and others, reduce risk of severe illness or worse.

They don't do so to get rewarded with return to normal life necessarily.

Or return to normalcy for them is vastly reduced risk from covid giving you severe illness or death, with other aspects ancillary.

Well the issue is IMO, putting all the caveats on behavior leads some people to think the vaccine is not that effective, so why bother.
I disagree with comment about life returning to normal, that's the carrot that some people need.

the vaccines were never advertised as being sterilizing, meaning you can still get and spread the virus. The odds of you getting sick are very small. That does not mean that sloppy behaviors won't continue to sicken others.
When the incidence drops down significantly, things will be returning to normal. Right now the rates of infection and hospitalization are way up. That is the thing to be watching for a return to normalcy.

the vaccines were never advertised as being sterilizing, meaning you can still get and spread the virus. The odds of you getting sick are very small. That does not mean that sloppy behaviors won't continue to sicken others.
When the incidence drops down significantly, things will be returning to normal. Right now the rates of infection and hospitalization are way up. That is the thing to be watching for a return to normalcy.

Research with vaccinated people doesn't bear out your first sentence. I'm not saying you should go out and kiss strangers, but a fully vaccinated person is hardly a typhoid mary.

I made no claims as to numbers. It is absolutely possible. Normal happens when people quit getting sick.

I made no claims as to numbers. It is absolutely possible. Normal happens when people quit getting sick.

We need numbers to quantify risk. If no one ever left their home, people would quit getting sick, but that's not possible.

We are getting more info about vaccine efficacy in real time so we need to make use of it.

That is an impossible goal. Perhaps easy to say when one themselves are not impacted by all the costs of getting to that goal. People are always going to get sick from Covid. We are again letting perfect be the enemy of good.

Cases are still on the rise, hospitalizations. That is not 'returning to normal".

So promoting vaccines is the best thing that can happen right now, correct?

No one said things were normal, what we said was normal isn't happening soon and will happen faster if people get vaccinated. We need to make people feel that getting vaccinated will help things return to normal.

Last edited:
Promoting vaccines is great, but it does nothing to mitigate immediate infections. We can't vaccinate our way out of this. People still need to mask up, wash, and minimize the spread. I see a lot of fatigue out there, people have had their fill of masks and whatnot. Unfortunately this is adding to the problem.
We were camping the other day and some young adults were tossing a frisbee around. It really hit me. I grew up in the frisbee heyday, and strangers used to just meet up and toss the disk and have a good time. I could not get comfortable with what was once joyous and normal.
My friend in Germany tells me today that there are only 10% ICU beds open, the lowest it has been ever there. The infection numbers are on the rise there.

What are you going to do if everyone doesn't get vaccinated? Let's say by some miracle we get a 70% national rate, does that mean you aren't going where at all. I don't know if you have a high risk condition, but at some point us vaccinated folks are just going to have to get on with it and have faith in the science.
Both my wife and I have high-risk conditions, and are in the waiting period after second vaccinations. Our adult daughter, who has been living with us, is just a few weeks behind us with vaccination.

For the most part, we will be living normally. Not sure I'll be comfortable with airline flights or a packed indoor arena anytime soon, but having friends visit, and going to restaurants, museums, and outdoor sporting events are in our plans.

We returned to in-person grocery and some other shopping about two weeks after our first vaccinations.

Which is why I don't get the flu vaccine [not always effective]. Got this one because many countries are requiring it to enter & 2 cruise corporations (NCL & RCCL)

Yeah, I was always lax about the flu vaccine. I actually took it this year because I figured this would be a bad time to get a severe case of the flu and land in the hospital. I haven't even had a severe cold since October of 2019.

Maybe there's something to this masking and social distancing thing?:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom