Public Libraries Reopening?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazon does have a selection of books available for the Kindle (reader or app) that are $0.00. You probably won't get the best selling authors, but I've read quite a few that were quite good by authors I've never heard of.

Don't you have to pay a fee to have access to the library in Chapel Hill? I don't suppose they gave you a refund. Anyway, charmeck opened today for hold pickup and drop off! :)

Don't you have to pay a fee to have access to the library in Chapel Hill? I don't suppose they gave you a refund. Anyway, charmeck opened today for hold pickup and drop off! :)

Residents of the town of Chapel Hill do not pay a fee to use the library but we have pretty high property taxes. We have an excellent library by the way--I love it--I am just hoping they reopen in some fashion.

Some branches of Union County libraries (NC, southeast of Charlotte) are now open, with a limited number of patrons permitted inside at any given time (masks requested). The first hour of the day is reserved for those over the age of 65 or immune compromised. Patrons are not to sit at the tables or in the book nooks and linger. They are to make their choices, self check out and then exit. Returned books are quarantined for 5 days.

This all seems very reasonable to me and I’m very happy the libraries are open and serving again!

Curbside started here about two weeks ago. They call you and set up an appointment time. When you arrive you call and they bring it out bagged and place it on a storage bin so that you can then get out of your car to access it. This was at a branch.
At the main library they asked for the color of my vehicle and brought it right to the car. So happy they are open!
Thankfully I was in on April 6th right before they closed for 7 weeks and I was able to get quite a few books for during the lockdown.

There are several groups of folks who qualify for free access to the Chapel Hill Library. I'm in the first group - I live in Orange County. Even if I did have to pay for access, I would not expect or request a refund. It would be a miniscule price to pay to support a treasured local resource.

Attachments

• Library Card.png
    Library Card.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 15
Curbside started here about two weeks ago. They call you and set up an appointment time. When you arrive you call and they bring it out bagged and place it on a storage bin so that you can then get out of your car to access it. This was at a branch.
At the main library they asked for the color of my vehicle and brought it right to the car. So happy they are open!
Thankfully I was in on April 6th right before they closed for 7 weeks and I was able to get quite a few books for during the lockdown.

That sounds ideal. I am going to get in touch with my library and suggest this.

Little or no extra cleaning in the reopen I described. It doesn't have to be stayed closed versus throw the doors open to the public...

I think the library staff was fired though. . . I just use online reading. Also, virus is getting worse here. . .

I was so happy when our drive-up window at the library opened last week. I already had some books on hold. I forgot the part about making an appointment, but I just handed them my library card and they got my books, put them in a bag and handed them out to me. I really missed having books to read while staying at home all the time. To me, e-books are just not the same.

My library finally decided to reopen for curbside pickups for holds that were pending since March. I finally got a notice today I could pick up my holds on Monday--I can't tell which ones or how many but I will be glad to get them.

WADR to all who posted here, in my opinion this is the epitome of a "first world" problem.

I like the library. I use the library. I don't NEED the library.

As someone previously posted, from a finance point of view, it would be very low on the priority list. Local governments, who rely heavily on sales taxes, will be looking for places to cut. Unfortunately, this would be a logical one to keep closed for a while.

Just got an e-mail that our libraries are opening for curb-side pickup starting tomorrow. DH is a happy camper :dance:. He's a voracious reader and we have a stack of books to return. No mention in the e-mail if they are accepting returns yet but I would think so.

In our city two of our four libraries have drive thru pickup window which have been operating all along during the shutdown. About a month ago, the main branch (which has no pickup window) began doing curbside pickup. (In Arizona heat, no less — we have some wonderfully dedicated library staff!)

I’ve been a volunteer for years but so far only librarians have been allowed to work on site. They are opening two of the larger branches this month, with some modifications for social distancing and asking patrons to wear masks.

They are still going to hold off on in-person services, like story times and lectures for the time being, but they have been posting lots of this type of programming online. The online programming, ebooks, etc have been great, but it’s easy to forget that not everyone has internet access in the home. And some don’t have e-readers, or they struggle with technology. So I am sure for many patrons, the reopening will let them access more of the services in the way that they are used to.

WADR to all who posted here, in my opinion this is the epitome of a "first world" problem.

As someone previously posted, from a finance point of view, it would be very low on the priority list. Local governments, who rely heavily on sales taxes, will be looking for places to cut. Unfortunately, this would be a logical one to keep closed for a while.

I don't know what "WADR" means but if the library were open I would call my librarian and ask!

I hope that our library does not get cut!! Our town's library per capita usage is the highest in our entire state. I think folks in our town would rally behind our library if there is a proposed cut. I have talked to folks at the library and they say their decision to delay reopening did not have anything to do with the budget--it was a concern for the staff's health since our area has had many Covid cases and deaths and they continue to climb.

You're right none of us here "need" it.

Those who do? Underprivileged, low income students, elderly on small/fixed incomes, the homeless, etc. - for a great number of these and other groups the library is a lifeline to books and the internet and community resources that they don't otherwise have.

You're right none of us here "need" it.

Those who do? Underprivileged, low income students, elderly on small/fixed incomes, the homeless, etc. - for a great number of these and other groups the library is a lifeline to books and the internet and community resources that they don't otherwise have.

You are correct, to an extent. I was addressing the people here, worried about getting new books to read (HELLO, you can buy them or get them on line), not the ones you reference. But, in regard to the referenced people, if the locality has limited funds, how would YOU prioritize? Food, Transportation, or Library? I don't mean to be snarky. It is not an easy call, nor one I would want to make.

You are correct, to an extent. I was addressing the people here, worried about getting new books to read (HELLO, you can buy them or get them on line), not the ones you reference. But, in regard to the referenced people, if the locality has limited funds, how would YOU prioritize? Food, Transportation, or Library? I don't mean to be snarky. It is not an easy call, nor one I would want to make.

Understood and that's why I drew the line that none of us are in need. How I would prioritize? I think the basics of being a community is you lift and support those in greatest need the first and most. But that's why I never ran for city council, the devil is always in them darn details and hard choices.

Just another example of where we hold our cities and counties to lower budgeting requirements than we do our fellow citizens (ie. "you should have 3-6 months of expenses in an emergency fund). A few months of lower tax revenue and we so easily forgive them cutting services.

Understood and that's why I drew the line that none of us are in need. How I would prioritize? I think the basics of being a community is you lift and support those in greatest need the first and most. But that's why I never ran for city council, the devil is always in them darn details and hard choices.

Just another example of where we hold our cities and counties to lower budgeting requirements than we do our fellow citizens (ie. "you should have 3-6 months of expenses in an emergency fund). A few months of lower tax revenue and we so easily forgive them cutting services.

Thanks for the response. I think we agree more than we disagree

With All Due Respect, you could google it. You don't need a librarian.

I was trying to make a joke that I could not call the library to ask about the acronym because the library was closed (which is after all what this thread is about) :dance:but I guess I did not make my joke funny enough-- WADR sorry. SMH!

We are just in the first stages of opening the library on a limited basis. Those that had book holds prior to the shutdown were able to start picking up their books from a limited number of libraries starting last week. Starting Monday new book requests will be allowed to be added. It's curbside pickup when your book is available at one of 8 (of the 25ish) libraries. I've talked to our local head librarian (she lives in the neighborhood and I see her when I walk the dog.) Our library is not on the list of 8. She's not sure when it will open. But she and the other librarians have wiped down EVERY book in the library, getting ready. I'm ready to return the books we checked out in early march... they're in a nice stack on our coffee table.

I've broken down and spent $ on kindle versions of books. My sister also bought some real books that she's shared with me when she's finished them.

Our library has continued to let us return the books we already had (to the book slot) but we could not get new books until now. On Monday I can pick up my books that were on hold. So you say the librarians have wiped down all the books--but was that really necessary? I thought the virus could live on books for only a few days. I plan to "quarantine" books I get from the library for 3 days.

We are just in the first stages of opening the library on a limited basis. Those that had book holds prior to the shutdown were able to start picking up their books from a limited number of libraries starting last week. Starting Monday new book requests will be allowed to be added. It's curbside pickup when your book is available at one of 8 (of the 25ish) libraries. I've talked to our local head librarian (she lives in the neighborhood and I see her when I walk the dog.) Our library is not on the list of 8. She's not sure when it will open. But she and the other librarians have wiped down EVERY book in the library, getting ready. I'm ready to return the books we checked out in early march... they're in a nice stack on our coffee table.

I've broken down and spent $ on kindle versions of books. My sister also bought some real books that she's shared with me when she's finished them.

DH has a couple of books on hold pre-COVID and they are in transit. He should get a come get 'em email shortly. The books he has checked out have a return date sometime in July although I'd like to get them back to the library much sooner.

Why in the world would they wipe down all the books...to make people feel better? Or is she saying that they will be wiping down books as they are returned?

My library is still closed to the public, but they started curbside pickup service for everyone today. I'm looking forward to getting some new reading material!

My main concern over the last three months was that all the library staff remained healthy, and that no one lost their jobs. I called a couple of days ago and was very glad to get confirmation on both those points. :)

Curbside pickup works like this:

Attachments

• Curbside Pickup.PNG
    Curbside Pickup.PNG
    35.2 KB · Views: 13
Op here, my public library is starting expanded curbside pick up. Yah! Our librarians have been busy --they have been trained as Covid 19 tracers so no unemployment problems there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom