Public Libraries Reopening?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would holding an ebook reader be different from holding a print book?

I don't have an ebook reader--I am reading on my laptop. Something about swiping the pages seems to bother my wrists.

I don't have an ebook reader--I am reading on my laptop. Something about swiping the pages seems to bother my wrists.

What program are you using for reading? Maybe varying the method you use to turn the pages would help.

If you download the book to Kindle for PC, then you can use the left and right arrow keys to turn pages, or you can use the mouse to click on the arrows beside each page.

If you download ePub files and use Adobe Digital Editions to read them, then the Page Up/Page Down keys or the mouse can turn pages.

If you're reading in a web browser with Overdrive, then the left/right arrows work.

What program are you using for reading? Maybe varying the method you use to turn the pages would help.

If you download the book to Kindle for PC, then you can use the left and right arrow keys to turn pages, or you can use the mouse to click on the arrows beside each page.

If you download ePub files and use Adobe Digital Editions to read them, then the Page Up/Page Down keys or the mouse can turn pages.

If you're reading in a web browser with Overdrive, then the left/right arrows work.

Thanks Cathy, so far I have been using Overdrive on my fairly new MacBook but there is some issue with turning pages on Overdrive on the MacBook--it takes several tries to turn the page sometimes. It is evidently a common problem. I think it is having to press the left right arrow over and over that is bothering my wrists some. I also understand if I upgrade to Catalina I will no longer be able to use Overdrive as it is still 32 bit.

Do you know what most people who have MacBooks use to read books online? I have not been able to find out much about it.

Why not just buy a kindle ? They are very inexpensive . It is simple to down load from the library with a kindle . Much easier than other gadgets.

Do you know what most people who have MacBooks use to read books online? I have not been able to find out much about it.

A laptop isn’t the easiest device to use for ebook reading, I can see why your wrists might be irritated.

I use my tablet for online magazines and newspapers, and a Kindle for books. Both on a stand so they are close to eye level when I sit at the table. The kindle also rests easily on a pillow if I’m away from the table. Much easier on the hands and wrists.

Edit to add - I didn’t see Moemg’s post before my response, and totally agree with her.

Last edited:
Our libraries are open with limited capacity. We're in an area doing ok for now. But it is much easier to browse online and do curbside pickup. If I can, I prefer ebooks, which I can load to my Kindle. My husband and I both have kindle apps on our phones, DH has it on his iPad. I really like reading books in Dark mode, or on my old model kindle, very easy on the eyes.

We also like checking out DVDs occasionally as well.

Thanks Cathy, so far I have been using Overdrive on my fairly new MacBook but there is some issue with turning pages on Overdrive on the MacBook--it takes several tries to turn the page sometimes. It is evidently a common problem. I think it is having to press the left right arrow over and over that is bothering my wrists some. I also understand if I upgrade to Catalina I will no longer be able to use Overdrive as it is still 32 bit.

I agree that Kindles are great, but if you don't have one and want to keep reading on your Mac, I'd suggest installing Kindle for Mac and/or Adobe Digital Editions. Both are free, so you could try them both and see which you like better.

For anyone interested, a great app for reading digital library books is Libby. I think the interface is slick and I like it to browse and read. I think I had to kinda jailbreak my kindle to load it bc it's in Google play store. I'm not tech savvy but I did it just to get Libby. I have a couple diff library cards to overcome checkout limits for cruising (precovid) and also for variety. My mom only uses her card for hardcopy so I use the number for digital. And I use another friend's card from DC area system. All loaded simultaneously.

We are getting up to 22 books a week on curbside pick up. It's all on my account. 6 grandkids, 2 kids, and me. Today, for the 1st time, I am somehow missing 1 book. Record shows 15 checked out, I know 8 were returned because I dropped them off but it takes 4 days to check in, 6 are out. Oops ..... off to tell the 6yo girl to 'look harder'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom