Public Libraries Reopening?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Calico, thanks, and I will pass that on to my wife, the librarian :)

Las Vegas Libraries limited opening

- books must be reserved online
- patrons can only enter library to retrieve books: no browsing

I bought a Nook e-reader in January. That turned out to be a brilliant decision. I've been happily reading downloaded books for the last few months. They started curbside pickup late in May, just in time for me to pick up 6 of my granddaughters' favorite books on my way to visit them. I showed them how to use the Nook and they ended up downloading a dozen kids' audio books! All licensed characters, unfortunately (Paw Patrol, Disney, etc.) but reading is reading. The pages show the words and also "scan" them so they can follow the narrative.

Tomorrow the library is open to patrons. I'm looking forward to it- I got rid of my printer a year ago after I got disgusted with the high prices of cartridges, the persistent "warnings" when I used off-brands, and then the printer driver disappearing from my computer and not available on the manufacturer site. I figure I'd use the library's. Then they closed for renovation from August through January and closed in mid-March due to COVID-19. I live in a town with some poorer sections and the computers were always well-used. I think a lot of people depend on library computers and not just for gaming and on-line dating.

I'm in a suburb of Kansas City and our COVID-19 numbers don't look too bad. My e-book habit may continue.

Tomorrow the library is open to patrons.

The local library system re-opened for inside visits this week. I dropped by a library for the first time in 3 months and did some browsing of the "New Books" section as I usually do. I selected 4 nonfiction books. It's great to be back in the saddle again. :dance:

Our library system has a fancy new contact-less checkout system, which seems like a major infrastructure investment for a minor increase in safety (people who care will wash their hands after a visit to the library just as they would after a visit to the grocery). OK - whatever works! :)

Last edited:
^^^ I suspect the new system is also helping to protect the library staff.

I picked up my 10 "To go" items yesterday. If you inform them in advance your interests, they put together books that they think you might like. I gave it a try and it looks good so far.

The local library system re-opened for inside visits this week. I dropped by a library for the first time in 3 months and did some browsing of the "New Books" section as I usually do. I selected 4 nonfiction books. It's great to be back in the saddle again. :dance:

Our library system has a fancy new contact-less checkout system, which seems like a major infrastructure investment for a minor increase in safety (people who care will wash their hands after a visit to the library just as they would after a visit to the grocery). OK - whatever works! :)

I'm confused... ...they allow you to browse and touch, touch, touch all the books and then have a contract-less checkout system?

Our library has opened but only to curbside pickup (or inside but pickup only). All browsing is done on-line. Their check-out system, for all intents and purposes, is as touchless as you can get and has been forever.

Our library system is open, but also only for lobby pickup. You make your selection, and they send you an email when available. You select online a pickup interval (there are several during the day, you must allow at least an hour lead time) you want to pick it up Stop by during the interval, go into the lobby, your item is in a paper bag on a table. Masks and social distancing required to enter the lobby.

If you do not get it during the designated pickup interval it is removed and you have to reschedule. Three reschedule "strikes" and you are out, you must go thru the online selection process again.

I'm confused... ...they allow you to browse and touch, touch, touch all the books and then have a contract-less checkout system?

Yep - patrons can touch, cough, sneeze, and slobber all over the books & DVDs and then use a fancy new contact-less self-checkout system. :facepalm:

The previous self-checkout system used a touchscreen. Those terminals have been swapped for more automated touch-free terminals. Checkout via a staff member was available before and is still available AFAIK.

The infrastructure upgrade investment would be even greater for poorer library systems that didn't previously support self-checkout (where to put the self-checkout stations?, etc.) Oh well, my tax dollars at work. :)

Our local libraries here in Nassau County (NY) have finally reopened on a limited basis. Curbside by appointment, but at least I can use another library to get a book my home library doesn't have, as interloans are not operating yet. I can return all books to my home library at any time to their drop box. We have websites where we can chat on line with any library which is helpful.

Our library has opened for curbside pick up and it is so busy that I waited 40 minutes in line to pick up a book--I really wanted that book I guess!

Like many others here, our library is opening in stages. Right now we can drop off into bins just inside the vestibule doors and pick up at the drive up window. In the before times I was a frequent library user, visiting every week or two and borrowing magazines, books and BluRay movies. I miss it so much!

I miss browsing the shelves and finding things I didn't know I'd be interested in. And our library was very well used with all the childrens programming, computer usage, meeting rooms, etc. I think most modern libraries learned to change with the times and mine was very up to date.

I forgot that our son had bought himself a new Kindle and given us his older one. I had tried it before and just didn't catch on to it. Yeah, you could read a book on it but I prefer an actual book in my hand and turning the pages, etc. I decided to give it another try and I'm finding myself getting attached to it this time. I'm on my third Kindle book and feeling better about the whole thing. I even found myself referring to it as "my Kindle". A step in the right direction. I can also read these items on my Ipad using the Kindle app. The problem is that the Ipad needs to be recharged a lot more frequently than the Kindle, I usually plug it in every night before bed while the Kindle can go many days without a recharge. So I can read the Kindle in bed and just leave it on the nightstand when I go to sleep.

I don't know if or when our libraries will ever be able to go back to what they were. I think a lot of our old normal will have to be reevaluated.

Last edited:
Our local libraries here in Nassau County (NY) have finally reopened on a limited basis. Curbside by appointment, but at least I can use another library to get a book my home library doesn't have, as interloans are not operating yet. I can return all books to my home library at any time to their drop box. We have websites where we can chat on line with any library which is helpful.

Yay! The interloan feature of my county's library system is back up and running. This means I can get books delivered to my local library from other county libraries. Two of them I had on hold since February are finally waiting for me to pick them up. :dance:

Those of us who are heavy library users really realized how much we use and miss the library while it was closed. I am grateful that my local library now lets you put items on hold and do curbside pick up. My library is wonderful and the building is new and very attractive. I hope they get to totally reopen some day.

Our library opened a few weeks ago. Place a hold, wait for notification, do curbside pickup.
Returns are only one spot, instead of drop-offs throughout the city.
They hold books returned for 3 days before going to the next person.
I am trying to get used to the online e reader option, but I love a good old paper book!

I received 10 items from curbside pick up 3 weeks ago. They auto renewed the items yesterday. I didn't have to put any effort into renewing them.

Mine has been off and on. Closed August through January for renovation. Closed again in mid-March due to COVID-19. Reopened in June, first curbside pickup only and then inside with appropriate precautions.

As of today my branch is closed again- staff member diagnosed with COVID-19.:(

Mine has been off and on. Closed August through January for renovation. Closed again in mid-March due to COVID-19. Reopened in June, first curbside pickup only and then inside with appropriate precautions.

As of today my branch is closed again- staff member diagnosed with COVID-19.:(

Oh No!!!!

My local library moved one step closer to more fully reopening this week. Instead of just getting pre-selected books in the lobby already put into plastic bags, I could now enter the library and browse the library's collection like before. They put the bar code scanner on a table just outside the circulation desk so the customers do the checkout themselves, under supervision. I had taken out a book on hold from another library, so the librarian gave it to me first. Not much else going on inside the library, as there was maybe one other patron inside. Felt weird but at least the road back to normal operations continues.

My public library had been doing curbside pick up of books that were on hold. That proved too successful--there were long line of cars everyday. Now they are doing walk up pick up, you have to park in the parking lot and walk up, call them and they bring your book out. The only problem with that is that you might be standing out in the 95 degree heat and humidity for a while waiting on your book. The public still cannot go inside the library building.

Our libraries are closed for walk in but have digital borrowing. Since I can't browse the aisles for new authors I do a google search for "Authors like..." to find new fiction. There are also websites like "Bookbrowse.com" or "Newinbooks.com", and many others to find a new author. Then I go to the library website and search that author. Works great and sometimes they have more than what is on their shelves. I have read 40 to 50 digital books since February using this library feature.

If you don't have a library with digital books there is always the Gutenberg Project with over 62k free ebooks to download or read online. Most are classics.
Also there are about 20 online libraries (Google search it) where you can read free ebooks on line or download.

Cheers!

I have been reading a lot of digital books lately and it is starting to hurt my wrists--possibly carpal tunnel? Is any one else having this problem? That is one reason I like print books better.

I have been reading a lot of digital books lately and it is starting to hurt my wrists--possibly carpal tunnel? Is any one else having this problem? That is one reason I like print books better.

Why would holding an ebook reader be different from holding a print book?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom