Second Bivalent Booster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, they’d been talking about 50 as the cutoff age.

Wonder if this cutoff will hold.

There are all kinds of new vaccines and treatments being developed but they’re not getting much funding and only a few may have enough backing to get through clinical trials.

Unfortunately the govt bureaucracy is slow and once Covid emergency status goes away next month, may be even more difficult to get funding.

Private capital is also less likely because Pfizer and Moderna May crowd out potential competition to their duopoly.

Plus it’s a shrinking market with fewer people getting each successive booster.

If for instance one of the nasal vaccines prove to block infections at a very
high efficacy rate, you wonder if they would have tHe resources to scale up manufacturing and distribution.

But this time we have to pay through the nose for it, right?

Seriously, I am somewhat concerned. A coworker of my partner recently came down with Covid. She had avoided it until a couple of weeks ago. They are teachers and were of course constantly exposed to unvaccinated kids. My partner and I both had covid last May but it was pretty mild.

My concern is that the vaccine probably does not last that long. After exposure to my partners coworker we tested and were negative. But as we plan travel this summer, vaccines wearing off is definitely in the back of my mind.

But this time we have to pay through the nose for it, right?

Seriously, I am somewhat concerned. A coworker of my partner recently came down with Covid. She had avoided it until a couple of weeks ago. They are teachers and were of course constantly exposed to unvaccinated kids. My partner and I both had covid last May but it was pretty mild.

My concern is that the vaccine probably does not last that long. After exposure to my partners coworker we tested and were negative. But as we plan travel this summer, vaccines wearing off is definitely in the back of my mind.

Medicare paid for the second booster I got at CVS last week

I got my second bivalent booster last week at CVS. I don't think the FDA has given the final approval for the second booster yet but CVS is giving them. It had been over 6 months since I had my first booster so I was eager to get the second one. Only side effects was a sore and itchy arm.

Did they ask for age or conditions like immuno deficiency?

After 3 years and 1 month and 2 vaccines and 3 boosters, I got COVID-23 a couple weeks back.

I wasn't down and out, but I felt pretty crappy for 2-3 days. I bounced back to 75-80% pretty fast, but then it just hung out there for another week. A scratchy throat and feeling off. Not great energy and elevated heart rate for those days 4-10 or so.

Not sure how a person dodges it for 3+ years and then suddenly gets it, but I guess there is no explanation needed. Covid won't be going away.

I guess I won't get another booster for a few months as I have "built in" immunity or something.

Oh no, got da Covid-23. :-(

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger as the same happened to me in Jan. of this year. I'll probably opt for another booster later this summer just for a hedge this winter.

Not sure how a person dodges it for 3+ years and then suddenly gets it, but I guess there is no explanation needed. Covid won't be going away.

DH and I were first-timers last month, as were a few of our friends in other locations.

Project next gen is funding research into nasal vaccines, longer lasting and broader vaccines according to USA today https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2023/04/10/project-next-generation-coronavirus-vaccines-biden-administration/11636925002/

That's good to see but they couldn't get new funding, they had to gather funds from other projects where the budget wasn't fully spent.

So they found $5 billion this way

Operation Warp Speed, for comparison, had $30 billion spent in a few short years whereas this Project NextGen is more forward-looking and is looking at threats which could emerge over years or decades into the future.

We've had SARS, MERS and now COVID. So chances are some other beta coronavirus pathogen will arise with pandemic potential.

DH and I are planning on getting the second bivalent booster. We have an international trip planned for the end of July and want the extra protection. Last May, I got Covid on our return flight from Europe. Fortunately, it was a mild case, but I prefer to take all reasonable precautions.

Did they ask for age or conditions like immuno deficiency?

We had to fill out an online form to get the appointment at CVS, and indicate date of birth, both of us are over 65. No questions asked once we got to CVS. Not sure what would have happened if we were under 65 but CVS seemed pretty casual about it.

We had to fill out an online form to get the appointment at CVS, and indicate date of birth, both of us are over 65. No questions asked once we got to CVS. Not sure what would have happened if we were under 65 but CVS seemed pretty casual about it.
Thanks for the heads up. Scheduled one for this afternoon and it went like clockwork.We're leaving for Europe in two weeks and I want as much protection as possible!

Medicare paid for the second booster I got at CVS last week

We are too young for Medicare. But we do have regular insurance so maybe covered. I know regular insurance does not cover vaccines for travel (at least ours doesn't) but it's not like we have to tell them it is for travel.

I suspect the incremental benefit of a 2nd bivalent booster is fairly marginal. The shots already give decent longer term protection from severe disease. The booster would mostly just give you a 2-3 month bump in antibodies against infection and a slightly higher level of protection against severe disease. I have had 5 shots but as of now have no plans to get the new one (I’m not yet 65). I’ll probably consider a booster next fall.

My 90 year old parents both also have 5 shots and a few weeks ago fairly easily weathered their first Covid infection, with the assistance of Paxlovid.

If I were traveling out of the country I may feel differently.

I suspect the incremental benefit of a 2nd bivalent booster is fairly marginal... If I were traveling out of the country I may feel differently.
All the incremental benefits of masks, avoiding crowds as much as possible and getting a booster to at least replenish antibodies make sense for my trip to Europe. While we have insurance, that still doesn't make up for what would be a really crappy trip if I was to contract even a "mild" case of covid. If travel was not in my near future, I'd have probably waited on a second bivalent booster. YMMV.

All the incremental benefits of masks, avoiding crowds as much as possible and getting a booster to at least replenish antibodies make sense for my trip to Europe. While we have insurance, that still doesn't make up for what would be a really crappy trip if I was to contract even a "mild" case of covid. If travel was not in my near future, I'd have probably waited on a second bivalent booster. YMMV.

+1

If at all possible (even if not covered by insurance), I will get my 2nd bivalent booster prior to overseas travel I have planned later this summer. As mentioned above, even a mild case of COVID would wreak havoc on an expensive, highly anticipated multiweek trip to Europe. I will be doing everything reasonably possible and practical (masking, vaccinating, etc.) to avoid getting COVID just before or during such a trip.

I am well under 65, and the CVS vaccine scheduling app was about to let me schedule my 2nd bivalent booster just now. Apparently, they are not enforcing the 65+ or immunocompromised requirements. I didn't schedule mine, but it's good to know that I can.

We don't have anything planned. Maybe we should hold off till October or so for the second bivalent.

I think FDA/CDC is working on figuring out what should be the annual shot. Discussions ongoing this summer from what I have read.

I had a mild ( thankfully after 4 vaccine shots) case of Covid early last September just as the bivalent vaccine was coming out.
I waited until last month -6 months after infection-to get the bivalent vaccine.
I figured I would probably get another one this Fall and since I’ll be 65 this September that should work.
I will of course keep updated on if they are expecting a newer vaccine to be available.

I don’t mind every 6 months. I would rather do that than have a higher chance of Covid being a serious case.
I know it’s not 100% but nothing in life is.

I am well under 65, and the CVS vaccine scheduling app was about to let me schedule my 2nd bivalent booster just now. Apparently, they are not enforcing the 65+ or immunocompromised requirements. I didn't schedule mine, but it's good to know that I can.
Thanks for doing this! DH was assuming, being under 60, he would not be allowed to get the second bivalent booster. But, based on your comment, I suggested he try so now he's scheduled at CVS for tomorrow morning. Assuming no hitches, we will both be as protected as can be for our upcoming trip to Europe. :dance:

I just went online and scheduled my 2nd bivalent booster at CVS for tomorrow. I then called them to find out how much if anything this will cost me. (I think I have a $500 prescription deductible and have not used any of it.)

The pharmacist told me "we are not doing the boosters." I told her the site allowed me to do it. She said they have them but they are expired. I said why don't you throw them out if they are expired! She said well they don't have an expiration date so we don't know if they are expired or not. We are waiting for guidance from corporate...

I'm glad I called since I saved a trip there.

I had previously called Publix and they are also "waiting for guidance from corporate."

I'm heading to Europe in a couple weeks so would like to get this booster.

Update: DH who is under 60, was able to get his 2nd bivalent booster at CVS with no problem. Now we are both boosted to the max and ready for our trip to Europe next month. Thanks again to Sojourner who suggested it would be possible by scheduling at CVS' website.

We are over 65, and will get this bivalent booster soon. Just in time for our upcoming European trip.

We have not caught Covid, but several family members had, even after vaccination. All had very mild symptoms, more like a cold than a flu. They all recovered to normal after 2-3 days. My daughter did notice the loss of smell and taste, but it's gone. Nobody I know suffers long Covid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom