Thanksgiving

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had planned early on to scrap Thanksgiving. A week ago we went ahead and dropped the annual visit to DD and her family w 4 grandkids for Christmas. Yesterday we FaceTimed the youngest one's birthday celebration and it was just sad to see them all knowing Christmas wouldn't happen as usual. We said we'd reconsider (kids are all in private schools, very stringent on all rules) but as I just caught up on this thread I am back to the cancellation. Pretty sure that after the TG get togethers early-mid December will look pretty scary so it will be easier to accept.

While it is painful, I look at in light of already having had 9 months of up-ended life so how bad is a few more missed holidays? Knowing that by next summer we should have vaccinations makes it more palatable. Meanwhile this will be one boring long winter.

We had plans to visit daughter and son-in-law for Thanksgiving. I expect they will have close to 10 people for dinner. Then Covid started increasing, so I decided I didn't want to attend. Wife bought a turkey and I'm looking forward to a week of leftovers.

With the tremendous surge in virus cases recently, I was very surprised to receive an invitation to a Thanksgiving dinner party at a club I am a member of. I know they will be hosting at least 75 people, maybe more... All adults and mostly older folks. Drinks, socializing and dinner from 6 to 10pm... I've been to parties at this club in the past and they are about as good as it gets.

They did say they would be doing temperature checks but no masks required once you are admitted... Still it sounds far to risky to me... I declined. The DW an I will be having a turkey dinner for two, at home!

Last edited:
I would be perfectly happy to spend Thanksgiving alone this year, however, my 82 year old mother is the type that needs to do something "special" on holidays. So we will be sharing a turkey breast and a few fixins' at my house this year.

I'm guessing we'll do the same on Christmas Day.

She has 3 other children in the area, but to spend the holidays with any of them increases the number of people she would be exposed to (extended families) and therefore increases her risks. I try to keep her as safe as I can. And me.

Menu: Turkey breast, mashed potatoes, gravy, frozen corn from the garden (for me), broccoli/cauliflower (for her, yuck), coleslaw, rolls, and a yet-to-be-decided dessert option.

Yes I think those that were/are military and their families have a bit of experience under their belts of missing the big family events due to leave schedules/deployments/finances/being stationed on the other side of nowhere, etc.. So we are at an advantage (? doesnt feel advantaged?) maybe I should say we are more EXPERIENCED at sucking it up and have seen life, indeed, go on. Even if you have duty on Christmas Day. Personally, seeing Family on a holiday was a TRUE rarity. Any holiday.

Yes I think those that were/are military and their families have a bit of experience under their belts of missing the big family events due to leave schedules/deployments/finances/being stationed on the other side of nowhere, etc.. So we are at an advantage (? doesnt feel advantaged?) maybe I should say we are more EXPERIENCED at sucking it up and have seen life, indeed, go on. Even if you have duty on Christmas Day. Personally, seeing Family on a holiday was a TRUE rarity. Any holiday.

+1

Cheers!

Possibly another decision coming will be if your friends refuse to take the vaccine, will one still hang out with them?

Well, if you trust the vaccine and get it yourself that would mitigate the risk substantially.

We cancelled Thanksgiving at our house a while ago. Before we found that BIL and SIL have covid. We’ll pick up MIL and bring her to our place for turkey thighs, and the fixings. So we’ll have 3 instead of 10 people.

I lost the war this year. My BIL and his wife (both of whom I've known for 42 years) are flying in from California (one of the Bay Area counties with the latest curfew) to here in Texas this Monday to stay a week. It's bad enough that his wife has some health issues, but she also ended up with shingles a couple of week ago.

Our adult nephew and his girlfriend (looking to be future wife) are also flying in from California (central CA) on Wednesday and are leaving on Friday. Our DD and her friend will be driving them around and to our house on Thanksgiving.

So, eight adults, four from California, all at our house. In addition, we will be spending the rest of the week my BIL and his wife are here with them, driving them to and from their hotel. Feels like playing Russian Roulette with not many chambers empty in the gun. :mad::(

So, eight adults, four from California, all at our house. In addition, we will be spending the rest of the week my BIL and his wife are here with them, driving them to and from their hotel. Feels like playing Russian Roulette with not many chambers empty in the gun. :mad::(

Wow, that does seem very risky. However, there is hope:

My SIL returned to work on Friday after testing positive and recovering at home for two weeks. He did his best to isolate himself from our daughter and our two grandchildren, and somehow avoided transmitting it to them (they had negative tests when he tested positive and negative again 10 days later).

Looks like the weather is going to be nice. Maybe plan to spend a lot of time on the patio?

A gathering is more than one person. Gatherings are allowed if the people gathered are already in the same household. That is, people who currently live together every day. Your son and daughter in law and their kids in the next town over, who do not live with you everyday, are not part of your household, even thought they are related to you. If outside the single household, quarantine and/or a negative test are required. Seems pretty simple to me.

Simple in theory, harder in practice. DS lives with me and DD with ex (when she's not at college). They spend time with both of us. GF has shared custody of her kids with ex. That's four households which aren't realistic to completely isolate. I think we mostly stay in our own bubbles, but some of us have to go to work, etc, so we definitely have some risk. And one of the households is probably not nearly as safe, but there's little we can do about that.

For Thanksgiving, we will be gathering some of these households to celebrate. We see each other anyways, so there's minimal new risk.

Well, I thought it would just be my DH and myself for Thanksgiving, but I was wrong.

DD family, including our 3 grandchildren, are coming. So, there will be 7 of us. We are all quarantining for 2 weeks before Thanksgiving. My son-in-law works from home, our oldest granddaughter, 12, does online school and my DD home schools the 6 year old and the 4 year old (when he is in the mood). They live in the Pittsburgh area and we are about 1 1/2 hrs south. The grandkids will stay with us until Sunday and we will take them back home.

My DH had a colonoscopy scheduled for 11/11 and we received a text that they had rescheduled it for 11/18. We called and cancelled and rescheduled it for end of January, so that we could do the 2 week quarantine.

Because they're stupid. Or they think the laws of biology and physics are not applicable to them, which is pretty much the same thing. I have some relatives like that.

I have a slightly different take on it. I think that, for some folk, the urge to congregate and get together is so strong, that there are times when it overrides the desire to stay safe. We may interpret it as stupidity. Certainly, it's very unwise, and there are plenty of folk who are just plain old ignorant, but I don't think that explains it for everyone. For some folk, the social desire is just too strong to resist, even if they are well aware of the risks.

Staying away from people has not been hard for this particular massive introvert. I will be spending Thanksgiving on my own at home this year, for the first time ever. I'm quite looking forward to it. If it goes well, I may do the same at Christmas - also for the first time ever!

Last edited:
We really do not see what the big issue is. Stay home, have TG with those who live with you in your home. There will be more Thanksgivings in the future.

Why on earth be so selfish and self centered that you would risk the safety and well being of your family and friends simply to have have such a gathering.

Not to mention others you or your guests could infect in the days following Thanksgiving.

Covid is someone else's problem only until you, a loved one, or a guest ends up in emerg a few days later...if there is room in your local hospital ER.

Stay safe. It is not all about you.

... For some folk, the social desire is just too strong to resist, even if they are well aware of the risks ....

How about "entirely lacking in self-discipline" then?

One BIL (single, lives alone) said he's going to go to Wawa and get a turkey hoagie. He's on chemo so no gatherings for him.

Another BIL (married, adult children living with him and his FIL recently widowed, is in their bubble.) had a big altercation with his wife's brother. He wanted to fly in to see dad, stay at BILs house, etc. He would be coming from a hotspot, flying (airport crowds/planes/etc). They told him no. Both the father and BIL's wife were clear - 'don't come'. That brother is now very pissed at everyone.

SIL (different one) told 4 of her 5 kids not to come. (The 5th lives with them.) She said it's the first year in 40 years she won't be cooking for an army. She is relieved about it. All of the kids understood.

My nephew (lives in San Diego Co) is pissed that my socially distancing sister won't go down for Christmas .Her DIL is having a surprise BD party for him on 12/19 .... DIL says they would just stay for the week 'if they loved him' but BIL is an essential worker

They are (hopefully) staying home as they love him

I didn't read all the thread, but been following it. However, I do have a question; if the government is recommending not social gathering family for Thanksgiving, then how come they are handing out 20 pound turkeys by the thousands in every town in the nation? I donno, but it seems to me there ought to be a ban on selling a turkey over 10 pounds.

126526596_10223810513755522_8045252104143371224_n.jpg

Seems to me with the Vaccine for most (in USA) available in 1H2021, it seems like the light at the end of the tunnel is now visible.

I would rather be smart and forgo the immediate comfort of gatherings, of t-day, c-day, and NY-eve and plan for a smashingly good time in summer of 2021.

+1

Definitely not advantaged, but as you say, more experienced. Once you are steeled to what it takes to get through the holidays far from home and family, you learn life does go on and you will be a better person (NOT!) for having endured it. :(

Just the two of us for T-giving. Having discussions with DD#2 about her and granddaughter visiting us for a few days at Christmas but it isn't looking good at the moment. They are not isolating themselves from others and husband/dad is currently recovering from having Covid.

DW wants it to happen but I'm saying if they come they have to sleep in the RV and we can only get together outside on the patio and deck. DW isn't happy with me.

I don't think the expression "I'm dying to see my family" was meant to be literal.

Just the 2 of us.
Grandson is in daycare which increases Covid risk.
No Turkey, lasagna and tartin de pommes.
Homemade lasagna noodles and sauce!
So pumped.

No doubt we will see a rise in infections after Thanksgiving. While we are staying home with just the two of us, virtually all of our friends are having group Thanksgiving dinners, business as usual. And clearly the airline traffic suggests many others are doing the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom