Thanksgiving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decision making is complex.

The nursing profession is still struggling to reduce the incidence of smoking among their members. It is better than it used to be. There was a time, well after the bad effects were well known, that nurses were way above the national average of smoking incidence.

Our plans have been downsized as sister and BIL decided not to come. I totally agree. So it will just be DH and I and son #1 (who is the most isolated person I know) and son #2, DIL and grandson. Son #2 and his family follow all the rules but they do go everywhere and are out much more than we are. They wear masks and hand wash but I know they make our exposure circle bigger. We see them all the time. Yeah, I know!

DH shopped early and got the smallest turkey he could find, 10.5 lbs. It’s already thawed in the refrigerator. I would have been fine with a turkey breast but he wanted a whole bird.

This is one of the holidays when I'm so thankful that BIL lives 1,000 miles away. :angel:

Decision making is complex.

The nursing profession is still struggling to reduce the incidence of smoking among their members. It is better than it used to be. There was a time, well after the bad effects were well known, that nurses were way above the national average of smoking incidence.
Even after a few decades in academia teaching Human Anatomy and Physiology I was surprised and disappointed to see so many future health care providers having so little regard for their own health. Every semester there were quite a few students that smoked, made poor dietary choices, and lacked in any physical activity which showed in their physical appearance and hacking coughs.

Cheers!

How about nurses?
One would think someone who works in a hospital in South Dakota would know better than to go into a bar.

Watch this video. It blows my mind. A nurse!

Egads! Imperfect nurses. What next? Journalists who aren't perfect? No, that will never happen :rolleyes:

Be careful when watching carefully edited stories from the beltway (NY-DC) news media about other parts of the country. They can be misleading.

How about nurses?
One would think someone who works in a hospital in South Dakota would know better than to go into a bar.

Watch this video. It blows my mind. A nurse!
Back in the story in South Dakota, that nurse can't be bothered to wear masks because she has not been facing the hallway full of covid patients yet. She is young and to be honest, I felt fully entitled to enjoy my life when I was at her age. My behavior, whether if it was being responsible or not, is the least of my concern. Give her time and she may be able to learn from the hard lesson (or not). The missing link here is not ignorance or not being smart, it is the realization of cause and effect, which is a rare ability needed when dealing with something you can't see but leaves a trail of damaging effects.
The Covid nurse said she had had it, so she thinks she is immune and not a threat to others, which is probably true in the short term.

Interesting that they decided not to go into the bar after all.

Last edited:
Be careful when watching carefully edited stories from the beltway (NY-DC) news media about other parts of the country. They can be misleading.

The Covid nurse said she had had it, so she thinks she is immune and not a threat to others, which is probably true in the short term.
Is anyone else annoyed that the "I've had it" was glossed over by the reporter / editor? Of course, you wouldn't watch if the headline was "Immune Individual Was Not Concerned With Catching Sars-CoV-2! Story at 11"

126526596_10223810513755522_8045252104143371224_n.jpg

Heh, heh, I guess we can stop worrying about the police busting up our TG "affair." This story has been the "talk of the town" so to speak. YMMV

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020...d-enforcement-team-after-overtime-violations/

We were debating accepting an invite from friends for Thanksgiving. The good news is that they were part of our "bubble" since March - I play golf with the man regularly, and DW and I have been over to their house close to a dozen times since then - 10,000+ square feet on 100+ acres, easy to social distance when visiting. the wife in that couple has pre-existing conditions, so they are very careful and invested in some added air sanitizing/filtration systems for the home. They have 3 adult children at home.

They have another set of children that do not live in the house but likely would be over... they live in other houses on the property, and would add an additional 10 people. still, with the house size and acreage, and a mild weather forecast, we were thinking about it

However, the decision is made for us. They have been exposed to Covid. A couple of the children went around another related family that has since tested positive for the virus. our friends children are fine so far... but we decided we would not take this chance. They agree, in fact they are self-isolating through early December (of course in their house and land area that is somewhat pleasant :)).

As of today, since I last posted, uncle is out of hospital quarantining with his DW they are about 65 years old and exposure was likely beforehand...

then as I am getting teeth cleaned hygienist says she was exposed on Halloween...so 3 weeks or 21 days ago.

Nobody else but mom got the virus and she was just being mom quarantined around kiddos and DH...

I hear my bosses wife got it, he tested negative once so went to get retested not knowing...just as his boss heads out for a big ole Oklahoma style turkey day with lots of people and football...

Neighbors co-workers have been exposed so I gotta keep distance from him who was typically "in my bubble"...kids play together we been by bonfires etc outside distancing not necessarily always with a mask.

MOST people I know are not having a BIG get together and choosing a SMALL one instead. We will have my mom and dad since they have also been in our bubble...but it only takes 1 delayed test response to expose the whole group soo...

crystal ball anyone? more $ pinning a vaccine date than a 35,000 target :greetings10:

Stay well all! Gobble Gobble Gobble!! O0

As Thanksgiving grows closer, we are refining our plans.

I may have posted that we have already decided to forego our usual Thanksgiving feast with dozens of Frank's family (due to elderly relatives with co-morbidities), and it turned out that they had simultaneously decided to postpone the big family get-together until it is safer. So we have firmly decided that we are not going to a non-existent get-together. :LOL:

We determined that a nearby sports bar is serving food from its usual menu on Thanksgiving, so we are tentatively thinking of getting food to go for just the two of us, from there, to eat at home. Probably shrimp tacos, gumbo, or a club sandwich. Their shrimp tacos and gumbo are "to die for", but also I never had a club sandwich that I didn't like. Anyway, something like that. Not the traditional Thanksgiving feast, no turkey or pumpkin pie, but we can do that another year when everyone can get together.

It is just one years' Thanksgiving. Can't people just have a small gathering for just one year, as next Thanksgiving will probably be a lot safer?
It is just one time.......

Picked up a nice fresh 5lb bone-in turkey breast, a pumpkin pie, and a pinot noir. Will make stuffing and some veggies, FIL/SIL want to do a zoom early in the afternoon.

For those interested in "well why all the big turkeys hmmmm?" - because, America, big is what we do. For years now, the US has been specifically breeding turkeys to have more breast size. It's much harder to get a small one than a way-too-big one.

It is just one years' Thanksgiving. Can't people just have a small gathering for just one year, as next Thanksgiving will probably be a lot safer?
+100

Besides, we'll appreciate it more next year, since we won't take it for granted! :D Getting together with everyone will be a special treat.

sengsational said:
Is anyone else annoyed that the "I've had it" was glossed over by the reporter / editor? Of course, you wouldn't watch if the headline was "Immune Individual Was Not Concerned With Catching Sars-CoV-2! Story at 11"

I am shocked! Shocked!!!!

My Thanksgiving will be small, personal and hopefully, no threat to anybody. I do that based upon my own admittedly limited understanding of the virus, and not some rule or admonition from a politician.

FWIW, today I have heard for the third time in the last few days about a friend's Thanksgiving event being cancelled or scaled way back. Who the heck wants to be among the last people killed or physically damaged for life by this virus? I think it's called enlightened self-interest. :)

For some, the answer is "no". My BIL hadn't seen us since we moved from California to Texas in October 2018 (I think he took our move harder than we did), so after two other delays in visiting us the past year, they were coming whether we wanted it or not. We're into day two of their eight day visit.

Their son and girlfriend (future wife) are coming tomorrow and will stay to Friday. So, that's two different couples coming on two different flights who will be here for Thanksgiving.

I bought (2) turkey breasts this year. Just like I always do. Because they're a "BOGO" and you get one free. But you still have to buy 2 to get one free.

But the diff is this year they were huge. I got (2) 10 pounders which were the smallest they had. Used to be around 5 to 7. I could have gotten 15 pounders!

Got Christmas covered too - :)

For those interested in "well why all the big turkeys hmmmm?" - because, America, big is what we do. For years now, the US has been specifically breeding turkeys to have more breast size. It's much harder to get a small one than a way-too-big one.

All farmed animals are breed to grow really big really fast.

chickens, pigs, cattle

They are not intended to live beyond the first year.

All farmed animals are breed to grow really big really fast.

chickens, pigs, cattle

They are not intended to live beyond the first year.

Hmmm. Maybe better add Ko'olau to that list of 'really big really fast.' Wait, this year, not so much! I DO hope to live more than a year. YMMV

I bought (2) turkey breasts this year. Just like I always do. Because they're a "BOGO" and you get one free. But you still have to buy 2 to get one free.

We bought a 15 pounder a week ago, which was the smallest we could find anywhere. (Good news is, it cost us 47 cents a pound since we spent over $50 at the grocery store.)

That is going to be a lot of turkey sandwiches (hot and cold), maybe some turkey tacos, even some turkey in BBQ sauce in various ways and other stuff. We'll probably still have some frozen leftovers past Christmas.

For the first time ever, I am spending Thanksgiving at home, on my own. This year has involved a certain amount of personal loss for me, as well as changes in some significant relationships. I just felt like being on my own this year. Luckily, my best friend, who I normally spend Thanksgiving with, feels the same too. I'm quite looking forward to it, and already have some special fare in stock for the day. I remember a co-worker who used to happily look forward to spending Christmas Day alone. She viewed it as a wonderful opportunity to take some time off from the world, and just do things for herself. She was quite unapologetic about it. That impressed me, as I thought of the holidays as a time when people should be together - which is the norm, and a good thing for most folk.

If Thanksgiving goes well, I may spend Christmas Day on my own as well. Am still figuring that one out. I do enjoy the company of a select few, but really enjoy being alone as well. Besides, I have a cat. I am never truly on my own :LOL:

The US Embassy in London is running a Thanksgiving Online Quiz at 6pm today, which I have signed up to. I got the email yesterday. First 200 to join the quiz via the Zoom link and password they sent will get to play.

This is a first for me and I think that it is a very nice idea to reach out to its expats living here, knowing that the vast majority will not be traveling to meet family this year. It is also reassuring that they know who I am as I signed up for Medicare Part A, as did my wife, earlier this year.

I have all 3 siblings in town, along with all of their adult offsprings except for one. Therefore, we always have a big family Thanksgiving dinner, plus Christmas, and New Year.

This year, we agree to celebrate separately. It's not worth the risk. There will be more days of celebration ahead, so why rush?

My daughter, son-in-law, and son suggested that we should have a Christmas get-together. For that, we all will quarantine ourselves for 2 weeks prior to the first meal, and to maintain the bubble for another week to have all that time for many sit-down meals.

This means we need to stock up all the food items and supplies 2 weeks in advance. We will not be out of the home, except to go to the curbside mailbox, or to hop in the car to drive to each other's home.

I told my children that there might still be the risk of a asymptomatic carrier among us. I don't know if someone can harbor the virus perpetually and not suffer any symptom from it.

Back to Thanksgiving, we will just have a small roast pork loin tomorrow. Can't handle even a small turkey between ourselves, and the fridges are too full for any leftover.

Penn state offered all students a covid test, lest they go home for thanksgiving and infect the family. The Mrs. made sure that ‘Cool Hand’ (my son) took the test, which he did with negative results. Unfortunately his buddy who he went to dinner on the test night with and 8 other friends tested positive. Have to wonder what were they thinking? Connor woke up 3 days ago feeling weak and without a sense of smell. Getting a second test was quite the chore requiring a 4 hour wait in a queue in his car. That test was this past Friday at around 5pm. We are anxiously awaiting the results. I understand he needs to stay away from home 10 days from the last symptom.

Cool Hand is unhappy with the prospect of staying away for ten days I am thinking it just the medicine needed for bad choices...
The Mrs promised a thanksgiving care package on Friday. She IMHO is too kind.

Cool Hand came back positive...
Take out Thanksgiving for him..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom