What are you making from all the food?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many years ago DW and I were on a trip in Malaysia and fell in love with Hakka Chinese cuisine. Kind of a mix of Indian and Chinese. The ubiquitous dish is Chilli Chicken (dry or w/gravy).

We were lucky for many years to get it from an authentic 24 hour greasy Hakka Chinese place near Toronto airport. Since we moved it has been harder to come by. So, due to quarantine, we finally perfected it at home.

Pretty close to the original. Bird's eye chillis make it but you never know from batch to batch what you're going to get. Last nights was eye sweatingly good.

DW is now in the process of perfecting a version using paneer instead of chicken.

Attachments

• IMG_20200430_182633.jpg
    IMG_20200430_182633.jpg
    923.4 KB · Views: 41
According to today's WSJ the in item is banana bread. Apparently, people over bought bananas, they are rapidly turning brown, and the rest is baking history.

I found a pork tenderloin that wasn't pre-marinaded and a reasonable size. I'm not generally a fan of these but thought I'd try something different. I used sous vide and put in red pepper sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, and light soy sauce. After searing the pork I made a pan sauce reduction finished with a little butter. A pan full of red and yellow beets and a honeycrisp apple roasted at 400° with a little olive oil and crispy sea salt.

This was much better than I thought it might be. Much better.

I scored some high end bread flour (13.5% protein with a small percentage of malted barley flour added), so I made a rare batch of white bread. The kids almost didn't know what to do with it since 90+% of my baking is 100% whole wheat. The batch used about 2/3 the weight of flour my batches usually take. Came out pretty nice and is really high quality flour, which is good since I had to buy a 50 pound bag to get it.

Dinner was arroz con pollo with saffron. Haven't made it in years, but we all liked it so it will probably join the rotation.

I made another focaccia bread using a more complicated recipe. IMO, it is not better than my regular recipe so I will go back to the easy way.

I have a whole chicken in the fridge that I have to cook or freeze in the next few days. I'm already tired of chicken divan, chicken tettrazini, plain chicken, chinese style chicken and broccoli, and chicken sandwiches. Someone mentioned chicken and rice and saffron. I will check out a recipe for that. I wonder if I can still buy a whole cooked chicken at the store for $4.99, lol.

I'm getting tired of cooking. When the stay at home orders were first issued, I have to admit I relished the opportunity to make some fabulous and time consuming meals but I'm over it. It's been interesting that as we've gotten immersed in projects we've long put off, there has been less interest in cooking and leisurely dining.

Menu's are beginning to look like my moms large family-style cooking from long ago. Reheatable casseroles, stew, pot roast, a pot of black beans that can be repurposed for several meals, sandwiches, carrot sticks, fruit plates... you get the idea.

We've also finally had to place a moratorium on yummy baked goods. Fun to make, delightful to smell baking but sooo bad for the waistline. One pie vs. two people = diet disaster.

Why do people eat so much skinless boneless chicken breast? Where’s the flavor?

Fortunately I’m not tired of cooking at home yet. Just the same old really as we were all ready limited in eating out options due to avoiding carbs and fast food.

Just bought a 6.5lb beef tenderloin at Fresh Thyme ($9.99/lb).

Broke it down, thanks to YouTube, got about 8 small fillets (about 6oz, just the right size for us) 2 small flanks, and a pound of meat off the "chain" we are using for quesadillas tonight.

Since our local Mexican supermarket is not requiring masks, I will not go in there. DW called the manager and ripped him a new one for not requiring masks.
In any event, that cut me off from my source of carnitas. However, I found that my regular market carried it in the meat case.
Tonight, I made chimichangas, using the carnitas, Rotel tomatoes, cheddar and cojita cheese and chopped onions. They were topped with home made killer guacamole that DW whipped up, and Hatch chili sauce.

I have a whole chicken in the fridge that I have to cook or freeze in the next few days. I'm already tired of chicken divan, chicken tettrazini, plain chicken, chinese style chicken and broccoli, and chicken sandwiches. Someone mentioned chicken and rice and saffron. I will check out a recipe for that. I wonder if I can still buy a whole cooked chicken at the store for $4.99, lol.

I like rice dishes, so I have tried several recipes for Arroz con Pollo. One from Williams Sonoma, and the other from Pinterest using saffron. I have been disappointed with both, in terms of flavor, and with the soggy rice. But it smells so great when I'm making it!

Why do people eat so much skinless boneless chicken breast? Where’s the flavor?

Fortunately I’m not tired of cooking at home yet. Just the same old really as we were all ready limited in eating out options due to avoiding carbs and fast food.

I used to buy just the split beasts, (bone in with skin on). But they disappeared recently so I started buying the boneless, skinless, and now they seem to have the same taste as the split. I saw a tempting fried chicken package at the store yesterday, on sale, and I almost bought it. I love fried chicken, and there's no way I'm going to make it at home, so I was tempted to buy it. Glad I didn't. Sooo much meat in the fridge already. Gonna make chicken divan again, today. And I will have fun doing it, since there is just about nothing else to do anyway, lol.

Low carb banana bread

Love to cook but hate to bake and on a serious low carb diet (which has done wonders for my diabetes). But had too many bananas and almond and coco flour so tried it. A million Keto diet food blogs can’t be wrong can they? Oh sure they can!

This one woman says her husband prefers it to the wheat flour one she used to make even. Either he loves her a lot, or is afraid of her but he is a liar obviously!. I mean it isn’t bad exactly and is better than nothing but who are we kidding here not exactly delicious!

Still got rid of 1/2 dozen eggs and 4 almost rotten bananas so a good outcome!

Love to cook but hate to bake and on a serious low carb diet (which has done wonders for my diabetes). But had too many bananas and almond and coco flour so tried it. A million Keto diet food blogs can’t be wrong can they? Oh sure they can!

This one woman says her husband prefers it to the wheat flour one she used to make even. Either he loves her a lot, or is afraid of her but he is a liar obviously!. I mean it isn’t bad exactly and is better than nothing but who are we kidding here not exactly delicious!

Still got rid of 1/2 dozen eggs and 4 almost rotten bananas so a good outcome!

This made me laugh. Sounds exactly something DH would have said.

Yesterday I made some banana walnut muffins using banana extract instead of bananas, plus the other usual Keto ingredients. I have to say the banana flavor came through using the extract. I was truly surprised.

Just put 2 pork butts in the smoker. I'll pull them out in a few hours and wrap in butcher paper to finish then have plenty of pulled pork to freeze for later meals.

Since I am tired of the ton of home made chicken divan and the other ton of some hamburger casserole creation in my fridge, I caved and bought an 8-pack of fried chicken from the grocery store. It's just sooooo much better than my home cooking, sigh. It's a nice break from the usual.

Found some respectable pork chops and they're cooking at 139.5°F in the sous vide. Making an apple chutney for a side. Still not sure what to add in but the panty and fridge are far from bare.

I'd like to do the sear on the chops outside. I spent a couple hours cleaning the grill. Don't know about mother nature there's thunderstorms in the area.

Last edited:
DH loves a nice juicy steak on the grill. The price of steaks have gone sky high so instead of one steak each we are splitting a steak and having a large salad. DH grumbles but its is better for him anyway.

This recipe may be old news for many, but is new to me. While buying my Breakfast of Champions (12 pack of Yuengling in bottles and 5 ears of sweet corn) the cashier suggested roasting the corn on the grill. What the heck, I thought. Started a small coal fire, plopped the ears on the grill with all the shucks still on, closed the lid almost all the way, turned them every 10 minutes, took them off after 50 minutes. Turned out really tasty. Life is good.

This recipe may be old news for many, but is new to me. While buying my Breakfast of Champions (12 pack of Yuengling in bottles and 5 ears of sweet corn) the cashier suggested roasting the corn on the grill. What the heck, I thought. Started a small coal fire, plopped the ears on the grill with all the shucks still on, closed the lid almost all the way, turned them every 10 minutes, took them off after 50 minutes. Turned out really tasty. Life is good.

When I do that, I remove all the outer layers so there is just one thin layer around the kernels -- just about translucent. They won't take as long to cook.

Actually, you can remove all the shuck and get nice grill marks on the corn. The Maillard reaction gives it more flavor and an extra sweetness, not that you need it.

Simplest method: Wrap a shucked ear of corn in wax paper, twisting the ends. Microwave for a minute and a half. Done.

+1
I soak them in water for 20 minutes or so.

Try the corn Mexican Street vendor style. Leave a few inches of stalk as a handle, pull back the husks and remove the silk, Springer with garlic salt and finely grated cheese. Really good!

Roasted the last 5 cobs today, just before the storm blew in. Ate 3 of em. Out of the 15 original cobs, I now have 6 in the fridge. They're good cold, too.

I tried pancakes with applesauce as an egg substitute a couple of times. I guess it helps but I finally joined Amazon Prime and got fresh eggs so my pancakes are better now. I thought of carbonated water to make the eggless pancakes fluffier and I just looked it up and it's a thing, but I wanted eggs anyway. Maybe I'll order seltzer next time and substitute it for some milk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom