What criteria would you use to choose among multiple vaccine options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one Dr. Fauci takes.

Definitely. I just read this article about AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine and it seems that its release and distribution is driven half by science and half by monetary reasons. That stops me dead in my tracks: I would likely wait 6 months or so before taking it. Then there's the Pfizer vaccine that seeks an emergency approval. That's also a 6 months "wait-and-see" for me. Between pharmaceutical companies' and dueling political agendas I don't feel I can trust anyone.

Last edited:
Having been vaccinated with just about everything under the sun during my military career, often multiple times, I don't worry too much about any particular one. Sometimes a little reaction, depending on the vaccine, but I figure any protection, however imperfect, is a good thing. So I won't be nearly as choosy as some when COVID vaccines start to become available.

... Between pharmaceutical companies' and dueling political agendas I don't feel I can trust anyone.
You don't trust your doctor? FWIW I believe that going with my doctor's judgment is the only sensible answer to this question (post #11).

I would feel that way regardless of the nature of my doctor's practice, but in this case he is in a concierge program embedded in a very large clinic, so I know that there will be clinic-level evaluations and discussions before a vaccine is chosen and I know that he had to be an above-average doctor in order to be selected for the concierge program. Compared to my pygmy grip on this question, he is a giant.

Having been vaccinated with just about everything under the sun during my military career, often multiple times, I don't worry too much about any particular one. Sometimes a little reaction, depending on the vaccine, but I figure any protection, however imperfect, is a good thing. So I won't be nearly as choosy as some when COVID vaccines start to become available.
Agreed. We are not military but with frequent world travel we also have pretty much everything. I even have an old smallpox scar.

As far as choosiness, I am also guessing that getting more than one vaccination flavor might be possible, maybe even desirable. My doctor will tell me when the time comes.

Agree. World-wide travel with Megacorp let me to getting lots of vaccinations and I did not analyze them. I have a good doctor and medical practice that I have confidence in. Just like my other vaccines, whatever they provide is the one I will take.

Apparently we are not the only ones skeptical of the potential politicization of vaccine approval. California has just decided to review all FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccines before releasing them to the public.

Adjustments.JPG. Novavax .. it is the vaccine Kate Bingham took. Kate Bingham is Chair of the UK Taskforce on vaccine. She’s like Dr. Fauci of the UK. When Novavax went to Phase 3 in the UK, she took the vaccine. It has the highest safety and efficacy record

stepford said:
Apparently we are not the only ones skeptical of the potential politicization of vaccine approval. California has just decided to review all FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccines before releasing them to the public.

I suppose I should be happy. That means it will be easier for me to get the vaccine sooner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, thereby politicizing the process.
People can make their own decisions on whether to take vaccines. But these actions and others undermine the process of beating the virus.

Last edited:
I'd definitely take those also.

Where is that crush on Dr. Fauci thread? :LOL: I read an article saying he's now a smooth talker. Not in the womanizer way, but that his voice sounds great post vocal surgery.

I’ll have to listen. Sounded rough/scratchy before.

Yes, thereby politicizing the process.
People can make their own decisions on whether to take vaccines. But these actions and others undermine the process of beating the virus.

There are already lots and lots of actions and statements by famous people politicizing the process. Nothing new.

Myself, out of what is available, I'll decide based on side effects/deaths and how well it works.

According the AP news, KCRA channel 3 news out of Sacramento, capital of California, I'm pretty sure Californian's are not going to get the option to choose. Gov. Newsom said today, he wasn't going to take the word of the FDA or the CDC on any vaccine that is released for distribution, but has formed his own medical panel of 11 persons who will do their own testing first. Only after these 11 have done pretty much the same tests the FDA and CDC have done will they release a vaccine for Californians. Gov. Newsom said 2 vaccines will likely be released by the CDC before the end of this year, but that distribution could take as late as next fall under his plan. And when it's released, he outlined an order of release based on what he says is the priority;
Health care workers
Those with direct exposure to Covid patients
essential workers
those that are that are more vulnerable to severe Covid-19 illness
high risk groups like seniors 65 and over
long term care facility residents
individuals with disabilities
racial and ethnic minority groups
rural populations
incarcerated or detained

As a Caucasian under 65, not high risk, vulnerable, or incarcerated, I'm not any of those groups, so I guess I come after everyone else?

Last edited:
According the AP news, KCRA channel 3 news out of Sacramento, capital of California, I'm pretty sure Californian's are not going to get the option to choose. Gov. Newsom said today, he wasn't going to take the word of the FDA or the CDC on any vaccine that is released for distribution, but has formed his own medical panel of 11 persons who will do their own testing first. Only after these 11 have done pretty much the same tests the FDA and CDC have done will they release a vaccine for Californians. Gov. Newsom said 2 vaccines will likely be released by the CDC before the end of this year, but that distribution could take as late as next fall under his plan. And when it's released, he outlined an order of release based on what he says is the priority;
Health care workers
Those with direct exposure to Covid patients
essential workers
those that are that are more vulnerable to severe Covid-19 illness
high risk groups like seniors 65 and over
long term care facility residents
individuals with disabilities
racial and ethnic minority groups
rural populations
incarcerated or detained

As a Caucasian under 65, not high risk, vulnerable, or incarcerated, I'm not any of those groups, so I guess I come after everyone else?

I'm thankful the other 49 states will be able to gain the benefits earlier, but sad for California.

I guess we can add coronavirus to the growing list of things the state insists on mismanaging.

Whatever my doctor recommends.

The way everything in the US has been politicized I'd like to opt for what ever the Germans approve.

Im not in any high risk category so I won't be at the front of the line anyway. DD, DM, and DGF are all high risk so im hoping something comes out soon. I worry more about infecting one of them more than catching it myself.

One that only is given once (not yearly like the flu shot which I do not get) and is effective and safe.

Gave me a chuckle. If he took his retirement and offered to become a spokesperson for any of the vaccines, he could name his price. But, he's not that kind of a person from past history.

Not sure about that, he originally said masks not needed. To his credit, he did change his stance.

Also, the fact USA did not have a great communication plan to connect Federal, State, Local agencies and first responders partially falls on Dr Fauci. He has been a Director at NIAID for ~36 years!

Also, why didn’t he have a plan to test elasticity bands of masks years in storage?

A great infectious Doctor but terrible project manager for large scale public response for infectious disease.

Last edited:
I spent a substantial amount of my life in & around the medical community. From the Army medical corp, assisting in surgery, and pre-med. Eventually retiring from major pharma. I remember one physician who no matter what product was discussed always asked informed questions, but never brought into products initially. After several occasions like this I asked him why. His answer was direct and intelligent. He explained that the FDA never did long term studies of the efficacy or safety of a product once approved. The FDA depended upon adverse event reports to review products approved to market.
There are many products that have had serious complications associated with them that were discovered years after initial approval. Vioxx an NSAID was pulled after incidents of strokes & heart attacks; Seldane (antihistamine one of the largest selling drugs of its time) pulled due to cardio events. Phentermine (diet supplement) cardio events. This is by no means a complete list and doesn't include products that later had a Black Box warning added to there prescribing instructions. A black box warning is the most serious warning given a drug without the product being pulled from the market.
So his protocol was to wait at least 1 year after approval before prescribing. His protocol will be mine for the vaccine. I'll wait a year and watch the fall out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom