What's next for hoarding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m having a harder time finding hair clippers than I’ve had finding toilet paper. All of the popular models are sold out everywhere. Who would have ever thought there would be a run on hair clippers in this country.

I will just let it grow. I would be doing a mountain man beard, but it interferes with mask fit.

I’m having a harder time finding hair clippers than I’ve had finding toilet paper. All of the popular models are sold out everywhere. Who would have ever thought there would be a run on hair clippers in this country.
I bought a set from Wahl they had them when everything was sold out.

I bought a set from Wahl they had them when everything was sold out.

I checked. It’s hard to believe but every single model of Wahl’s hair trimmer is out of stock on the Wahlsusa.com website. Everyone had the same idea to go there when the retailers sold out.

We both have curly hair, so will wait till the actual hairdressers are back and can wrangle it. I've been growing out my hair anyway - it's almost college length now, and I can actually pin it up.

I don't know how easy it is to get drain opener, but you need working drains. That's something to keep in stock. I bought a 64 oz. Pequa last month and I happened to immediately need it for three drains, not just one like I thought. I need it again for the bathroom sink and I think that would about finish the 64 oz but I'm delaying it (I just ordered Drano from Walmart so I'm all set).

I’ve started making masks. I bought some cloth but could not get non woven interfacing for an extra layer. I used weed cloth instead. I’m going to try a different design, a pocket mask in which we can put a piece of a HEPA filter vacuum bag in and seal. I sewed a little tube on it so a pipe cleaner can be inserted for the nose piece. The pipe cleaner can be removed and replaced for washing. I have 50 pipe cleaners, and I just ordered 100 more. If you buy coffee in bags, the little flat wire thing at the top makes an ideal nose piece as well.

You can sew 20 inch straps onto masks-works better than elastic.

This is the design I chose:

https://masksnow.org

DW belongs to an 'International Sourdough Baking' group on Facebook - people from as far afield as NSW Australia, Western Australia, parts of Britain, the US, and elsewhere, have expressed concern about the apparent shortage/unavailability of flour.

This Monday we received, via UPS from Fergus, Ontario, (relatively close to Toronto), a large bag which has joined the other 2/3rd of a bag in storage......she goes through it quickly.

On our Sunday 'social distancing' visit to the three youngest granddaughters, DW brought along two freshly baked loaves....one went in the freezer, and the girls/parents got stuck into the other.

I checked. It’s hard to believe but every single model of Wahl’s hair trimmer is out of stock on the Wahlsusa.com website. Everyone had the same idea to go there when the retailers sold out.

Looks like eBay has various Wahl clippers for sale. I bought a basic clipper kit from eBay about three weeks ago for $14. Not seeing anything quite that cheap now, but there's plenty available for $50 or less. For example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/WAHL-Quick-Cut-Haircutting-10-Piece-Kit-Hair-Clippers-New-FREE-FAST-SHIPPING/164154196324

I ordered some Andis clippers from Amazon. Delivery is scheduled on April 29. I will be quite shaggy by then.

Looks like eBay has various Wahl clippers for sale. I bought a basic clipper kit from eBay about three weeks ago for $14. Not seeing anything quite that cheap now, but there's plenty available for $50 or less. For example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/WAHL-Quick-Cut-Haircutting-10-Piece-Kit-Hair-Clippers-New-FREE-FAST-SHIPPING/164154196324

I took a quick gander at Pet Smart and there are still some clippers available at our local store so that might be a source. We have a set and I used them just this morning and they seemed to do just fine but for whatever reason, I can't stop scratching behind my ears, though. :D

Thanks. I'm trying to avoid using Ebay as it's become clear that the price gougers are quite active with hair clippers right now. The Wahl Color Pro trimmer that normally sells for around $19 is going for anywhere from $150-$300 on Ebay.

I have a groomer that has a very basic clipper on one side of it. It's not ideal but I've managed to make it work for now. I'm not sure if the factories that make these clippers are still open right now. I doubt this would be considered an essential item so it's likely many of them have shut down.

I had already done some self haircuts in the past. Last night my wife cut my sons hair and I did my own.

Last couple times I was getting it done at the salon because they do a better job, but it was nice to have the clippers ready.

They've paid for themselves many times over.

I'm surprised nobody has linked this toilet paper longevity calculator:
https://howmuchtoiletpaper.com/

Coffee filters are probably already sold out (used as inserts into facemasks).

Etsy has loads of masks but shipping is generally in 1 - 2 weeks. I have a couple of friends who are quilters and one of them was kind enough to make 2 masks each for DH and I.

I like the surgeon generals no-sew mask. I made one out of a cloth napkin (I only use cloth - paper napkins are a waste of landfill space and money). Actually looked pretty spiffy LOL

I would have guessed that paper plates/bowls/cups would be one of the first items to become scarce, but I haven't heard anything about that happening. I bought a lot of these items in February when I heard about the virus, thinking that if it came to the US and I got sick (which it did, but I haven't), then I might want them for convenience.

I took a quick gander at Pet Smart and there are still some clippers available at our local store so that might be a source. We have a set and I used them just this morning and they seemed to do just fine but for whatever reason, I can't stop scratching behind my ears, though. :D

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I would have guessed that paper plates/bowls/cups would be one of the first items to become scarce, but I haven't heard anything about that happening. I bought a lot of these items in February when I heard about the virus, thinking that if it came to the US and I got sick (which it did, but I haven't), then I might want them for convenience.

I thought so as well. But my forays into the coronavirus shopping jungle have never seen those anywhere near depleted.

They were depleted initially, but only for a very short period of time. Now it's the only paper product you can buy :facepalm: unless you get there at the right time. Went shopping this morning and scored some TP at Costco but had to go to Target for the paper towels. Still no bleach to be found anywhere unless you get to the right store at the right time.

I do not think board games are being hoarded, but the demand seems to have gone up for some, based on what I have seen in stores and online price changes. For example, . We were looking at a wood case Rummikub set that was 19.99 at the end of March on Amazon. On April 1st it was out of stock, then was back in stock a few days later for $49.99. We bought another set for $29.99 last week, it is now listing for $35.99.

If I grow any more fur I may have to consider them. Is there really any difference between pet hair clippers and human hair clippers?

If I grow any more fur I may have to consider them. Is there really any difference between pet hair clippers and human hair clippers?

I am interested in this. We have a really nice set of clippers for the dog.

I typically get a #4 on the sides and back, and then a trim to suit.

DW has been chomping at the bit to cut my hair for years. This might be her chance :hide:

I am interested in this. We have a really nice set of clippers for the dog.

I typically get a #4 on the sides and back, and then a trim to suit.

DW has been chomping at the bit to cut my hair for years. This might be her chance :hide:

Great, we have a volunteer! Please let us know when your DW is finished so we can determine if those things can work on human hair! There seem to be plenty of them in inventory while the human clippers are virtually sold out.

Make sure she checks for fleas first!

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but elastic for making masks is basically gone.

My wife has had great success using the elastic from various styles of head bands. It's best to avoid headbands with rhinestones, though, since they are hard on needles. She's made more than 200 masks so far.

Why would people switch to paper bowls and paper plates?

Why would people switch to paper bowls and paper plates?

If a family member is in quarantine with other family members in the same house, I think it is better to prepare and serve the food on paper bowls to that member. Once finished, wrap and throw away. Less chance for infection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom