What's next for hoarding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think meats will be next for hoarding or shortage.
Then that will exacerbate the shortage in beans/rice/pasta (at least some things I have had a hard time getting)

They were already stuffing their freezers with meat.
Only now am I seeing some available for Beef and Pork via my shopping method.
Since freezers are all sold out, I think folks have maxed out their meat, so more hoarding of it will not really happen.

Since freezers are all sold out, I think folks have maxed out their meat, so more hoarding of it will not really happen.

Chicken seemed to be the first thing that went. Well, second, after TP of course. Cuts of beef seemed to be next, along with hamburger. Then pork. At one point early in the hoarding there was basically no fresh meat, and a poor choice of frozen, to be had.

Today (first trip in 2 weeks) almost everything seemed to be available, although some things were low. Exceptions: No liquid hand soap, and no milk at all, which surprised me. I hadn't seen the dairy aisle cleaned out since the first few days of hoarding. Then again, I was there early Monday, and I don't think they get any shipments of dairy on Sunday.

I did hear about the large pork processing plant which had something like 300 cases of COVID-19, so I bought some today. Not that we eat much pork anyway, but hey, FOMO and all.

Hopefully they don't look exactly alike after you finish.:D

Re using dog clippers on DH and pup .... I haven't used the same cut on both of them yet but I am going to do a poodle cut on both pup and I this week. Long at the top and short at the nape for me.

I'll be shopping for a few groceries tomorrow morning, so it will be interesting to see what I find. The last time I was at the grocery store (about a week ago), I did not notice shortages of anything, really. Plenty of meat (all kinds), and even some meat, fish, bread, and other perishable goods marked way down because they were nearing their expiration date. Eggs were expensive, but other than that, everything else I wanted was mostly at the regular price, or sometimes even cheaper. No shortage of TP or paper towels. I did not check the cleaning supplies, because we don't need any.

We do not really need any meat, as I have a big chest freezer full of venison, lamb, and beef (and a few chickens) from last Fall (we hunt deer, and buy other meat from a local farmer). So I am shopping mainly for things like frozen vegetables, cheese, potatoes, onions, rice, etc.. I have not had any problems finding that stuff around here lately.

Horse clippers such as oster, wahl come with removable blades. A #40 blade does a horse's whiskers (very close shave) while a #10 is what we use on my husbands head. The A5 is a very reliable clipper. I don't think the horse websites are raising prices and seem to have plenty in stock.

Yeah, we really filled up our chest freezer about 3 weeks ago with mostly meat/poultry and some seafood plus frozen veggies since we are on a low-carb diet. We visited our favorite meat market and bought good stuff. If we’re stuck in place we might as well eat well, and we’re trying to limit our shopping as much as possible.

People need chest freezers to hoard meat..plus it costs a lot more then TP...

Our large (15 cubic feet) chest freezer was $25 at a yard sale...15+ years ago.

Got it home, plugged it in and it was -20ºF by the next morning.

In addition to bulk meat (usually repackaged via a Food Saver) plenty of free food (e.g. blueberries from relatives' home) also goes into it.

For bulk purchases I'd also try local restaurant supply businesses...one here was selling 20lb boxes of frozen boneless chicken breast "cutlets" and frozen ground beef direct to consumers via their outside parking lot.

Our large (15 cubic feet) chest freezer was $25 at a yard sale...15+ years ago.

Got it home, plugged it in and it was -20ºF by the next morning.

In addition to bulk meat (usually repackaged via a Food Saver) plenty of free food (e.g. blueberries from relatives' home) also goes into it.

For bulk purchases I'd also try local restaurant supply businesses...one here was selling 20lb boxes of frozen boneless chicken breast "cutlets" and frozen ground beef direct to consumers via their outside parking lot.

our freezer is 48 years old and running strong....they are tough...

Our large (15 cubic feet) chest freezer was $25 at a yard sale...15+ years ago..

Yeah, we bought a chest freezer many years ago for a cheap price also, and it still works great. But have you looked at the price of used freezers on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace since the COVID-19 stuff hit? No bargains anymore.......lots of demand for them now, so prices have gone way up, at least in our area.

I tried to do CSA veggies, but this year, every place is already sold out.

our freezer is 48 years old and running strong....they are tough...

Wow, 48 years! What brand is it? Our big chest freezer is at least 25-30 years old, and it still works great. We bought it used from a friend about 20 years ago, and I know he had it for at least 5 (maybe 10?) years before we got it. We pack it with meat and garden veggies every year. I now put a temperature probe inside it so that I can monitor the freezer temp. when we are gone for the winter, just in case it ever decides to quit on me. If it ever does quit, I'll know right away, and I have it arranged with a neighbor that he can come over and transfer some stuff to my upright freezer (which is usually turned off), and he can have whatever doesn't fit in there.

Not sure where "down here" is, but I do know those portable AC units are very limited in their ability to cool more than a very small room in almost any part of the southern US during the summer. You might do better buying a medium size window unit for the same or less money, with more capacity.

Thanks for the heads up. My research turned up the same concern. Bought a small window unit for our bedroom just in case we lose the central air. At least we can stay alive in SE AZ in one room if the main unit quits. Well worth the $150.

People need chest freezers to hoard meat..plus it costs a lot more then TP...
Last month I attempted to buy a 15 cubic chest freezer (wanted one before the pandemic but thought now is the time to get one). Bought it online from Lowe's, but got an email from Lowe's 2 days later saying factory can't ship it for at least 2 months and there were no other freezers in stock. Still debating getting a refund or waiting it out. I do have a really old 8 cubic foot upright freezer (so old it's refrigerant is R-12) I use, in addition to the kitchen refrigerator/freezer. I hope the old one does not fail, as it's packed full.

So people have purchased all available freezers it appears.

Wow, 48 years! What brand is it? Our big chest freezer is at least 25-30 years old, and it still works great. We bought it used from a friend about 20 years ago, and I know he had it for at least 5 (maybe 10?) years before we got it. We pack it with meat and garden veggies every year. I now put a temperature probe inside it so that I can monitor the freezer temp. when we are gone for the winter, just in case it ever decides to quit on me. If it ever does quit, I'll know right away, and I have it arranged with a neighbor that he can come over and transfer some stuff to my upright freezer (which is usually turned off), and he can have whatever doesn't fit in there.

It doesn't what brand it is, they don't make them like they used to. Every time we have a power flash or outage I worry it's done for, but so far no problem.

My in-laws freezer lasted 55+ years....

Hand sanitizer is showing up again. It’s a bit pricey but not too bad. I wish they would take all the ethanol they’re putting in our gas out and use it for hand sanitizer. Gas is cheap and there’s an oil glut, since no one is driving.

The ethanol is the gas is there to support the corn lobby, not to make the gas cheaper or more abundant.

Hand sanitizer is showing up again. It’s a bit pricey but not too bad. I wish they would take all the ethanol they’re putting in our gas out and use it for hand sanitizer. Gas is cheap and there’s an oil glut, since no one is driving.

Where are you seeing it? I still can’t find it anywhere, other than on Amazon Third party resellers where a 1 gallon container costs $70. Prior to the pandemic the price was around $8.

Where are you seeing it? I still can’t find it anywhere, other than on Amazon Third party resellers where a 1 gallon container costs $70. Prior to the pandemic the price was around $8.

I saw regular size bottles at the Grocery Outlet in Imperial Beach earlier this week. It was just sitting out near the checkstands and nobody seemed to be buying it.

I saw regular size bottles at the Grocery Outlet in Imperial Beach earlier this week. It was just sitting out near the checkstands and nobody seemed to be buying it.

Interesting. I haven’t tried shopping there yet. Might need to make a run and check them out.

Yes those old appliances are tough. Our freezer is 39 years old and is still going strong. It was one of the first purchases that DW and I made after we were married. It has survived 7 moves including 3 cross country trips. BTW, our dryer is also 37 years old!

As for hoarding, meat looks like it is next. Pickings up here in some Canadian grocery stores have been thinning out as a number of meat packing plants have shutdown, including one that processes about a third of Canada's beef.

As for hoarding, meat looks like it is next. Pickings up here in some Canadian grocery stores have been thinning out as a number of meat packing plants have shutdown, including one that processes about a third of Canada's beef.

I just read an news article that in Eastern Canada, farmers are starting to cull their herds as there are too many animals to process.
Such a waste :facepalm:

Same thing is soon going to happen here in USA, but is being held off by changing the feed mixture of hogs and cattle to slow their growth.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/meat-shortage-looms-as-coronavirus-shuts-packing-plants-leaving-farmers-with-tough-choices-2020-04-24

Wow, really? Finally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom