What's next for hoarding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read an news article that in Eastern Canada, farmers are starting to cull their herds as there are too many animals to process.
Such a waste :facepalm:

Same thing is soon going to happen here in USA, but is being held off by changing the feed mixture of hogs and cattle to slow their growth.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/meat-shortage-looms-as-coronavirus-shuts-packing-plants-leaving-farmers-with-tough-choices-2020-04-24
Our local meat market sources their own heritage pork some of it raised themselves, and is apparently has been very busy as I called them recently to inquire about phone orders. So I’m hoping to be able to skip the big processors with them. Our freezer is still full though, yet we’re starting to run out of their awesome bacon which they produce themselves.

Wow, really? Finally?

I bought my limit of one pump bottle of hand sanitizer today. $4. They seemed to have plenty. The last time, which was before the hording started, I bought three at the dollar store for $1 each. Times have changed.

The ethanol is the gas is there to support the corn lobby, not to make the gas cheaper or more abundant.

Ethanol is also there to replace MTBE, an additive that was under fire, and planned to be phased out by the EPA in 2000. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_tert-butyl_ether

Maybe the percentage is higher than required, but there IS a real reason to have it (or something equivalent)

I just read an news article that in Eastern Canada, farmers are starting to cull their herds as there are too many animals to process.
Such a waste :facepalm:

Same thing is soon going to happen here in USA, but is being held off by changing the feed mixture of hogs and cattle to slow their growth.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/meat-shortage-looms-as-coronavirus-shuts-packing-plants-leaving-farmers-with-tough-choices-2020-04-24

So, I think the next hoard is meat. There's a lot of articles about the packaging/processing plants getting shut down due to their employees getting COVID. I went out today and got some extra chicken and ground beef. Didn't want to go crazy, but I wanted to get some cushion. The chicken supplies at the stores looked affected. The rest looked normal. I'm going to have to get my smoker out for the ribs I bought. I guess chicken and pork are the ones discussed most but I don't think it will stop there.

As for hand sanitizer, SIL dropped off a bottle today. He found it at a bar that worked a deal with their suppliers to get some of these things. They may even have disinfectant wipes in the near future.

Last edited:
So, I think the next hoard is meat. There's a lot of articles about the packaging/processing plants getting shut down due to their employees getting COVID. I went out today and got some extra chicken and ground beef.

What, no bacon? What were you thinking!

So, I think the next hoard is meat. There's a lot of articles about the packaging/processing plants getting shut down due to their employees getting COVID. I went out today and got some extra chicken and ground beef. Didn't want to go crazy, but I wanted to get some cushion. The chicken supplies at the stores looked affected. The rest looked normal. I'm going to have to get my smoker out for the ribs I bought. I guess chicken and pork are the ones discussed most but I don't think it will stop there.

I agree, but our freezer is pretty packed still from 10 days ago where we got:

• 20lbs of chicken
  • 1 lb diced ham.
  • 3 lbs burgers
  • 5 lbs ribs
  • 10 lbs hamburger meat.
I might make up a new order, just to replenish nearly 7 lbs we have eaten, as I don't want to face a shortage in 4 weeks time.

I'm also amazed we have eaten so little of it....

Due to inactivity, I'm not cooking up as much as normally. :blush:

Ethanol is also there to replace MTBE, an additive that was under fire, and planned to be phased out by the EPA in 2000. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_tert-butyl_ether

Maybe the percentage is higher than required, but there IS a real reason to have it (or something equivalent)

The gasoline could just be refined to the point where it doesn't need MTBE or ethanol to maintain the octane rating.

What, no bacon? What were you thinking!

Local Fresh Thyme has BACON on sale Wednesday. $2.99/lb (5# pack). Thick cut, a couple of different flavors. I have had it before, and it is good.

I have NEVER bought 5 lbs of bacon at one time before. But will this week.:dance:

The gasoline could just be refined to the point where it doesn't need MTBE or ethanol to maintain the octane rating.

I am not from the oil or refining industry, maybe you are. But I suspect economics are at work.

It is an air quality measure, as was the use of mtbe

I've been upping my orders of meat of various types: Chicken, beef, turkey, bacon. I've been using some, freezing some...but running out of room in the freezer. If I weren't so[-] lazy[/-] busy I would spend time making jerky using some of the beef. Also bought some packaged (already cooked) bacon as a backup. Not as good, but better shelf life.

I've also been buying frozen fruit, again to have a good supply in the freezer if we have an issue with harvesting crops of strawberries, blueberries, etc. Trying to also get fresh varieties, but I should be taking some of what I can get fresh and dehydrating it. (I sometimes do this in June when we typically have pick your own strawberries available).

I need to get serious and go through a chest freezer for which I have no idea what it has a couple feet down. :) It is packed to the very top. Perhaps there are things I can get rid of to make room for other things. There might even be some ice blocks in there (I used to do that to help regulate freezer temps).

ETA: Trying to get (again) beef brisket on my food order this week. If that happens, I think I will make some jerky using part of it.

Last edited:
I better get a deer or elk this fall. Bear would work, too.

I've been upping my orders of meat of various types: Chicken, beef, turkey, bacon. I've been using some, freezing some...but running out of room in the freezer. If I weren't so[-] lazy[/-] busy I would spend time making jerky using some of the beef. Also bought some packaged (already cooked) bacon as a backup. Not as good, but better shelf life.

I've also been buying frozen fruit, again to have a good supply in the freezer if we have an issue with harvesting crops of strawberries, blueberries, etc. Trying to also get fresh varieties, but I should be taking some of what I can get fresh and dehydrating it. (I sometimes do this in June when we typically have pick your own strawberries available).

I need to get serious and go through a chest freezer for which I have no idea what it has a couple feet down. :) It is packed to the very top. Perhaps there are things I can get rid of to make room for other things. There might even be some ice blocks in there (I used to do that to help regulate freezer temps).

ETA: Trying to get (again) beef brisket on my food order this week. If that happens, I think I will make some jerky using part of it.

You can freeze bacon. When we buy it, we always split it into four-slice packages in plastic wrap and aluminum foil and then freeze it.

You can freeze bacon. When we buy it, we always split it into four-slice packages in plastic wrap and aluminum foil and then freeze it.

+1. When I split a 4H pig with my buddy, the butcher freezes the bacon along with everything else.

Getting a couple hogs processed right now with hot weather coming is also going to be a challenge. I have seen discussions about how to cool down a hog. Maybe they will open up the mom & pop butcher shops again? Not a chance...

But I know a couple guys...

Getting a couple hogs processed right now with hot weather coming is also going to be a challenge. I have seen discussions about how to cool down a hog. Maybe they will open up the mom & pop butcher shops again? Not a chance...

But I know a couple guys...

I hear all the custom butchers are booked for months now. Doesn't bother me as to big game, but a 250# pig might be a bit of a challenge. Buddy and I split a 4H kid pig every year after fair time (we get one of the pigs that wasn't the one that went to fair). We usually have a local butcher do it up. I suppose we could do it ourselves if need be, but it would be a job. We would also need to make a stop in National Forest or a state wildlife area to put a bullet through its brain since doing so in the burbs would be problematic.

Bringing a dead hog into the backyard would cement his or my reputation as the neighborhood redneck for sure...

I agree, but our freezer is pretty packed still from 10 days ago where we got:

• 20lbs of chicken
  • 1 lb diced ham.
  • 3 lbs burgers
  • 5 lbs ribs
  • 10 lbs hamburger meat.
I might make up a new order, just to replenish nearly 7 lbs we have eaten, as I don't want to face a shortage in 4 weeks time.

I'm also amazed we have eaten so little of it....

Due to inactivity, I'm not cooking up as much as normally. :blush:

Heck, our deep freeze is still full from when we stocked up six weeks ago! I’m slowly working through it.

But anyway we at least have a local meat market for meat rather than having to get stuff from the big meat packing plants. They smoke their own bacon, sausage, and pork chops, They are connected with local farmers as well as raise some of their own heritage breed pigs which I think is how they got started.

Last edited:
I hear all the custom butchers are booked for months now. Doesn't bother me as to big game, but a 250# pig might be a bit of a challenge. Buddy and I split a 4H kid pig every year after fair time (we get one of the pigs that wasn't the one that went to fair). We usually have a local butcher do it up. I suppose we could do it ourselves if need be, but it would be a job. We would also need to make a stop in National Forest or a state wildlife area to put a bullet through its brain since doing so in the burbs would be problematic.

Bringing a dead hog into the backyard would cement his or my reputation as the neighborhood redneck for sure...

Where I live, it is a bit easier. Heck, my neighbor might walk over and ask if he can help if he hears somebody shooting. :greetings10:

Maybe ER.org needs a redneck containment area. :)

five days ago, local store had small bottles of handsanitizer for $2.50, lysol hand wipes for about $3, and a five-pack of masks for $7.50.

the hand wipes sold out quickly, then the masks, and today there still a couple dozen small handsanitizer bottles available.

I figured the small bottles were overpriced. I did not buy any. I picked up some masks and a couple of the wipes.

Cheddar cheese in the big package is gone and has been gone for at least a week at Wegmans eastern Pa. You can get some expensive cheddar that's already sliced. All you can get in the big package is Mozzarella. Why? Are the cheese employees all calling out sick, just like the meat processors? Oh, boneless chicken breast went from $1.97 a pound to $5.25 a pound at Wegmans. Ugh. Get it while you can? Well, maybe someone else can get it, for $5.25 a pound, lol.

Cheddar cheese in the big package is gone and has been gone for at least a week at Wegmans eastern Pa. You can get some expensive cheddar that's already sliced. All you can get in the big package is Mozzarella. Why? Are the cheese employees all calling out sick, just like the meat processors? Oh, boneless chicken breast went from $1.97 a pound to $5.25 a pound at Wegmans. Ugh. Get it while you can? Well, maybe someone else can get it, for $5.25 a pound, lol.

A huge plant run by Leprino Foods closed in Colorado because of COVID-19 infections spreading among workers. They are the #1 or #2 producers of mozzarella in the US and presumably make other cheese.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom