What's next for hoarding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking the same thing. I actually ordered these from Amazon today, and I can’t believe I was willing to spend $55 on hand sanitizer but it’s the first time they have had anything in stock for the past month, so I ordered it. And even though it’s in stock I’m still being quoted an April 22 delivery date.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085FZ8B63/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Heck, for that much you could have an entire gallon: https://www.bulkapothecary.com/prod...nted-bases/unscented-hand-sanitizer-gel-base/

Wow. I may have bought Vanguard stock too early, but on my non-critical Costco run on Monday I did buy a 6 month supply of booze to trek up to Oregon. Even with the sales tax here it is still way cheaper than Oregon state stores. Now I am stocked for the foreseeable future - what a prescient investor am I!

Can milk be frozen and still be decent when thawed? Last night I was able to buy a 15 cubic foot chest freezer (online from Lowe's) and it is supposed to be delivered Apr. 5th.

Yes. I do it regularly.

So, to exclude you and your talents, my query is hereby rephrased into Downton Abbeyese, as "Can't ONE get alcohol delivered in Colorado." :LOL::rolleyes:

I am a homebrewer of over 25 years and a beekeeper/meadmaker. If I wanted to ramp up production and my customers were not too picky, I could likely pickle the whole neighborhood in short order. So I cut out the middleman. The liquor store is for whiskey, but only because running a still isn't legal.

Last edited:
People are hoarding chloroquine, now. I have no words.

A medication called chloroquine is being investigated in other countries for use against the novel coronavirus, but testing in the U.S. for this purpose has barely begun. And now, people with a legitimate medical need can't get it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...63173c-6d46-11ea-a156-0048b62cdb51_story.html

And, in a Darwinian turn of events, a couple has died after taking chloroquine-containing meds meant for fish:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/24/us/chloroquine-poisoning-coronavirus.html?

Our pols are smarter. The governor's order shutting down all but essential businesses specifically includes liquor stores as essential businesses, so they can stay open.

In France, the gov knew that they would have riots in the streets if they closed alcohol and tobacco stores. Based on my casual observation, people here seem to be going back to the basics during this forced confinement: delicious homemade food chased down with a glass (or two) of wine.

If things get as bad as some of the projections recently, you may want to start hoarding vegetable seeds and fertilizer for your victory garden.... :)
Great idea. About 3 weeks ago I ordered vegetable seeds and indoor starter pots from Burpee Seed Co. Several items were out. My order shipped yesterday! Great company to buy from. I now have to get my parent's 1990s vintage rototiller I inherited running.

According to for industry experts, there is more supply than last year. People are hoarding because they are scared. The barer the shelves, the more scared they get and buy more when they can. With the experts saying we may need to seclude for up to 18 months, it really puts the fear in people. What's sad is many people will become sick with the Virus by going to stores to hoard food and waiting in long checkout lines. It's a demand side problem termed "phantom demand":

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/18/food-supply-coronavirus-135481

My wife and I were laughing when Kentucky issued the list of essential and non-essential businesses, and liquor stores made the essential list. Guess we didn't realize how essential alcohol is to many people.

My wife and I were laughing when Kentucky issued the list of essential and non-essential businesses, and liquor stores made the essential list. Guess we didn't realize how essential alcohol is to many people.
Guess you missed the news on what happened in Denver when the mayor decided they weren't essential and would have to close.

During the growing season, the young wife and I already grow more vegetables than we can eat. In fact, we still have some onions, shallots and sweet potatoes left from last year. We also home can a lot of our produce for use over the winter.
Send them my way. I suck as a gardener, but pretty darn good at canning and food preservation. I will keep half, give you half. :)

I don't think they really want the masses to sober up.

Guess you missed the news on what happened in Denver when the mayor decided they weren't essential and would have to close.
Denver? I'm hours away from Denver in a small town and he spooked everyone down here. By chance I passed a cannabis dispensary in this tiny town and you couldn't even find the parking lot. I didn't pass a liquor store but I'm sure it was the same.

I guess it makes sense people are getting more spooky by the day. A county north of us has shut down. Sherriff's office says any parked vehicle not registered in the county will be towed. If you don't live there go home. [emoji111]

The flour shelves were bare today. I make most of our bread because I like it much better than store bought and it’s really easier than most people think. I had actually bought some extra at the very beginning of all this and I’m glad I did, although I’ll be needing more in a week or two.

Got on line at Walmart at 5:45am for the 6am senior opening.
It was orderly, but was the first to the TP and nabbed one which was the limit. There were probably ~40 packages of TP and 75-100 folks on the line. Got paper towels and eggs too.
Still many other items were sold out, but good for now.

Just returned from a quick run to Kroger, and I'm starting to notice more items in very short supply. No paper towels or TP anywhere in sight, of course, but they were also 95% wiped out of butter/margarine, veggie burgers, and frozen pizzas. Also running pretty low on canned veggies (although lots of canned tomatoes and tomato sauce). Ample supply of bread, chips, cereal, cheese, and fresh veggies/fruits.

Just returned from a quick run to Kroger, and I'm starting to notice more items in very short supply. No paper towels or TP anywhere in sight, of course, but they were also 95% wiped out of butter/margarine, veggie burgers, and frozen pizzas. Also running pretty low on canned veggies (although lots of canned tomatoes and tomato sauce). Ample supply of bread, chips, cereal, cheese, and fresh veggies/fruits.

I haven't ventured out (only to drive - did not stop at any place of business) since Friday 3/13. Your post is interesting to me because the only thing I would look for (if I ventured into a store) would be for fresh fruit and vegetables, and perhaps some fresh milk.

The flour shelves were bare today. I make most of our bread because I like it much better than store bought and it’s really easier than most people think. I had actually bought some extra at the very beginning of all this and I’m glad I did, although I’ll be needing more in a week or two.

Thank God for the flour mill I bought. Always keep a bunch of wheat around and have been able to order more in a time of no flour.

Cash.

My plan (if F thinks it is OK) is to leave home this afternoon for the first time in a couple of weeks, drive to the ATM, and try to get a few hundred dollars. I wonder if the ATMs are even being re-filled or not these days so I'll try to find out.

Besides, my Venza has been sitting in the garage for over a week and needs to be driven a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom