Why on Earth are People Still Hoarding Toilet Paper etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering where all the rubbing alcohol is. I've not seen a bottle since March...in SW Florida nor SE Michigan.

Does anyone else see rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol on their store shelves?

Same here in metro Atlanta. I've been checking diligently every time I go to Kroger (or do a pickup order), Wal-Mart, Publix, etc. Haven't seen a single bottle of any kind of rubbing alcohol on the shelves since March.

Clearly, supply is still pretty limited, and I guess what little gets put out on shelves completely disappears in the first hour or so every morning. And since that's the "elderly/disabled" shopping hour, us younger, healthier folks are basically out of luck.

It does seem, however, that isopropyl alcohol is readily available from various online sources... if you're willing to pay up. It's going for around $5-6 per 16oz bottle on eBay, and it's also available for slightly less from a local chemical supply company if you buy in bulk (no free shipping). If you can get it from Wal-Mart, it's only about $1.50/bottle... but that's a big "if".

I had a lot of TP, paper towels, and so on, when the pandemic hit because I always do. I also had 1-2 dozen bars of Ivory soap. This is what happens when you buy a Dream Home with tons of closets and cabinets for storage, as I did back in 2015.

Anyway, I still have a lot of paper towels and soap, so I haven't bought any.

After four months I had used up almost half of my TP so for a small fortune I purchased about half what I had used, to replace it. Maybe this makes me guilty of hoarding, but gee. It's just replacement and I have less now than I normally keep on hand.

I did not have, and have neither seen nor purchased ANY hand sanitizer or rubbing alcohol during this pandemic. I use soap and water frequently, and F saw and immediately snapped up a container of bleach for me to use on most inanimate surfaces as well as a box of nitrile gloves.

I don't understand the reasons behind the shortages, but then I have never been involved with any kind of retail or distribution operations. My totally uninformed guess would be that retail and distribution businesses might have their own difficulties with employees being out sick with the virus or having to stay home to take care of their kiddies instead of going to work.

Or that supply is still lower than normal and hasn’t been able to catch up.

Way more people at home, rarely going out, cooking most meals at home, explains a lot of the imbalance.
The former may be true, the latter how? I said it euphemistically in an earlier post, there aren’t more people so there shouldn’t be more actual usage - and there’s been plenty of time to adjust home vs other usage.

It’s either a drop in supply, or more and more hoarders. Once a hoarder makes that decision, they reach their new target stock amounts, and then it’s normal usage thereafter.

Once a hoarder makes that decision, they reach their new target stock amounts, and then it’s normal usage thereafter.

There's a lot of building activity going on. What with the lumber shortage and what have you.

Perhaps some hoarders are expanding their storage space?

And I'm only half joking.

Saw this thread, and had to do a little shopping yesterday, so I made note of the stock of these products (I didn't need any).

All paper products seemed to be plentiful, even saw some sale tags on some TP. Rows and rows of the little hand sanitizer bottles prominently placed with sale tags (seems like they over-bought during the rush?). The only thing I saw that was limited at this store was ISO Alc, I only noticed the 70% variety in stock (but I never noticed if they carried the other % before either), there was about 2' of shelf space about 2' deep, looked to be about two times that space was empty, and a "LIMIT ONE" sign. But of course, all this could vary day-to-day, store-to-store, area-to-area, etc. Just my observation on that day/time.

Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Or that supply is still lower than normal and hasn’t been able to catch up.

Way more people at home, rarely going out, cooking most meals at home, explains a lot of the imbalance.
The former may be true, the latter how? I said it euphemistically in an earlier post, there aren’t more people so there shouldn’t be more actual usage - and there’s been plenty of time to adjust home vs other usage.

It’s either a drop in supply, or more and more hoarders.
Once a hoarder makes that decision, they reach their new target stock amounts, and then it’s normal usage thereafter.

As I said earlier, different usage patterns (being home vs at a business/restaurant) certainly can cause a supply problem, even if the overall usage is unchanged. Products are produced and packaged differently for home use. I imagine the machines for large volume, low margin commodity products like TP and other paper products are very large, specialized/dedicated and expensive capital equipment. I doubt they are made to just change a setting and go from producing the commercial large TP rolls, to the home sized rolls for example. That sort of flexibility is used for lower volume, variable production, the high volume comodity stuff gets specialized equipment, in general.

So the "normal usage thereafter" that you mention isn't normal as far as the supply chain is concerned. All this could be having an effect still.

I don't understand the reasons behind the shortages, but then I have never been involved with any kind of retail or distribution operations. My totally uninformed guess would be that retail and distribution businesses might have their own difficulties with employees being out sick with the virus or having to stay home to take care of their kiddies instead of going to work.

You may consider yourself uninformed, but I think your observation makes perfect sense. It would be hard for me to believe that the supply chain business, from production to distribution to retail haven't all been affected. Our production lines had areas of lines of people, sitting close to each as the product passed each station for whatever hand work it needed. Those people probably need to be spaced 6' now, which is probably about twice the space they used before. That cuts production in half unless you can find more space, set up more work stations with all the conveyors and support equipment (lighting, exhaust fans, etc). Efficient operations don't just have unused space laying around. So they need to spend more money, or cut into some other production. And the space may not even be available. It could take a very long time to set up a new facility, for what might not be needed later.

-ERD50

Reactions: W2R

It’s either a drop in supply, or more and more hoarders. Once a hoarder makes that decision, they reach their new target stock amounts, and then it’s normal usage thereafter.

I don’t think companies can easily adjust to home versus office because the products are different. And the companies are probably loath to rework their lines in a major way for what they think is a temporary situation.

Perfect time to start an Artisinal Handmade Toilet Paper business.
Do the Hipsters still live in Brooklyn, or have they moved on?

Good point. We always hear of "factory retooling" as requiring immense capital and disruption.

Still, those that can adjust, gain advantage. I just bought a set of cloth face masks, with vacuum cleaner filters in them, from a company that makes vacuums. The company's site asked customers to be patient, as they had been overwhelmed with orders and just now getting on top of demand.

Pretty soon everyone will have enough masks; that demand should die back, too. I think, though, that many of us will always wear masks in crowded places from here on in, even if we get a vaccine.

I don’t think companies can easily adjust to home versus office because the products are different. And the companies are probably loath to rework their lines in a major way for what they think is a temporary situation.

Great idea, but you're too late.

I think the toilet paper tablets* (recommended viewing from this link) are actually a GREAT idea.

Science over artisans! :)

* - and not a joke either

Where my son works (engineer) they make automotive fluids and they have switched over one of their lines and are now producing Clorox wipes. My son, who was the lead on the project, said it really was no big deal to switch over. They just had to get in the supply of chemicals, containers, substrate, labels, etc, but said switching the machines over was easy.

I'm worried to death. Down to 6 paper towel rolls. What will I do? Oh my! Help!

Down to 2.5 rolls of Paper Towels, the stores have a lot of TP, but no PT.

I think part of the shortage is re-sellers, which explains why you can find TP, etc on ebay or Amazon at twice the price of normal.

After expenses, these re-sellers are easily making 50% profit.

They must be furious at the stores that limit their purchase to 1 per customer.

I haven't seen any in my Kroger store for months.

Not sure if this is exactly what you want, but Walmart has this....

https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Pack-Equate-70-Isopropyl-Alcohol-32-Oz/706238851

I rarely go into stores anymore and rubbing alcohol and liquid soap refill bottles have been hard to find on-line. However, last week when I needed to get my Walmart order up to $35 to qualify for few shipping I found both available so I order some of each. You might check there.

Same here in metro Atlanta. I've been checking diligently every time I go to Kroger (or do a pickup order), Wal-Mart, Publix, etc. Haven't seen a single bottle of any kind of rubbing alcohol on the shelves since March.

Clearly, supply is still pretty limited, and I guess what little gets put out on shelves completely disappears in the first hour or so every morning. And since that's the "elderly/disabled" shopping hour, us younger, healthier folks are basically out of luck.

It does seem, however, that isopropyl alcohol is readily available from various online sources... if you're willing to pay up. It's going for around $5-6 per 16oz bottle on eBay, and it's also available for slightly less from a local chemical supply company if you buy in bulk (no free shipping). If you can get it from Wal-Mart, it's only about $1.50/bottle... but that's a big "if".

Thanks, everyone! This community is the BEST! :flowers:

I was able to ORDER it from WalMart (two 16oz bottles for $3.92), as our local stores (WalMarts, Krogers, Dollar Stores, drug stores) still don't have it in stock. I added a bunch of random things from my shopping list to qualify for the free shipping.

I use rubbing alcohol to make DIY wipes that I keep in the car, as I dislike the feel of the residue left on my hands after using hand sanitizer. I cut paper towel sheets into quarters, fold and stack them, and put in them into a quart-size ziplock bag into which I pour just enough rubbing alcohol to make "wipes". Great to clean off my hands and 'touched' car surfaces when I'm back in the car while out running errands.

And also use rubbing alcohol in my new Covid-era hobby... refurbishing vintage sewing machines.

omni

Where my son works (engineer) they make automotive fluids and they have switched over one of their lines and are now producing Clorox wipes. My son, who was the lead on the project, said it really was no big deal to switch over. They just had to get in the supply of chemicals, containers, substrate, labels, etc, but said switching the machines over was easy.

Well, sometimes it will be relatively easy, many other times it is not. I imagine they chose that product and those machines because they were relatively easy.

-ERD50

Interesting the shortages seem to vary from region to region and product to product. Again, I can’t understand why demand is still outstripping supply after 6 months - that suggests there are more and more hoarders every day. Otherwise usage would have to stabilize at some (new) level.

I don't think that having some excess on hand is unreasonable. I bought Toilet Paper, wipes, paper towels back in February when I thought this might become an issue (I didn't think to get hand sanitizer at the time). For months, the stores never allowed ordering of paper towels or toilet paper. You had to go into the store and hope it was there. But, we try to avoid going into stores so I didn't want us to have make most likely fruitless strips to the store just adding to exposure.

So, for awhile once they allowed order paper towels or toilet paper, I always ordered it every time I did an online pickup order. The vast majority of time, though, we got nothing or maybe a 6 rolls of toilet paper when we ordered 18 (we have several bathrooms).

I would say a couple of months ago the toilet paper/paper towel situation got better. I can now order the brand I want and will usually get it although not always the specific package I want.

But we still don't want to have to go in and search through lots of stores if we run out. So we don't want to run out. Also, we are in an area that still has a lot of cases. So I want to prepare for the possibility of any future shutdown. Also what if DH or I got Covid and both of us were quarantined for 2 weeks. Not thinking I want to run out of toilet paper.

Disinfecting stuff is still very limited. Early on I was able to get disinfecting wipes, then none for months. But disinfecting spray is limited but can usually be gotten so I don't order that any more. Finally, a couple of weeks or so ago I got wipes.

During this entire time I always order hand sanitizer once it was available. I got a good sized bottle that I keep in the car about 3 months ago. None since then. Just today I was able to get 3 tiny bottles. I wanted one to give to my son for his car and one for my purse and DH can have one for his pocket. Yes, of course, I use soap and water when available but hand sanitizer is useful when it is not.

But again, it is still so limited that in 6 months I have only been able to buy any at all on two occasions.

My guess is the new hoarding is occurring because of various events and statements made in the political spectrum.

+1. Preppers (on both sides) stocking up, now that national election is approaching.

Haven't noticed it here, but maybe with folks working from home, and kids doing the same people are using more in the home. I have noticed that with the kids home essentially full time that they really go through it at an unusual rate. Perhaps the demand on industrial supplies has gone down, and the good stuff we purchase for the home is in higher demand.

As a side note, I once worked for P&G, the maker of Charmin. It was proudly used in all of the bathrooms in all of the company offices. I had a visiting engineer who commented on it... he said "thats a lot of happy a**holes".

No shortages that I am aware of where we live.

Well, perhaps a significant shortage of common sense by those who are not following the guidelines of our public health officials.

We have enough rolls of toilet paper to last through first quarter year based on estimate of 1 roll per person per week but will replenish as needed.

We also have two large containers of bleach and two bottles of 91% rubbing alcohol which we will have to dilute to 70%. Rubbing alcohol is still not easily available but hand sanitizers are. We don't use Chlorox wipes so haven't paid attention.

There's actually a very logical answer: as more people have moved to work from home they are using more and more toilet paper. Offices that used to consume a lot of toilet paper use a very different kind of toilet paper - industrial style, large roll paper that is not used at home. So there's really two distinct markets. There's an office and industrial market and a home market. Office and industrial consumption has gone way down as home consumption, albeit with some hoarding, has gone way up. This certainly explains part of it

I have been able to find paper products off and on, no rhyme or reason.
I would imagine as more restaurants open, etc, the need for paper products is increasing again.
Clorox type wipes are impossible to find. I have read that the company (J&J?) is working to increase output, but priority is medical needs, as it should be. The article did say by January they hoped to have more availability.
I have been able to find some alcohol disinfectant wipes.
Otherwise, I make my own with either bleach and water, or use alcohol in a spray bottle with paper towels or reusable handiwipes.
Clorox bleach and wipes etc are made by the Clorox company. the one stock I own that rose like crazy while the rest crashed at the beginning of the pandemic. Still high but about 10% down from the peak while most everything went back up.

With the virus cases still growing way too fast hoarding and stocking up is sure to continue! Unclear messages and politicalization of the virus from all sides kind of throws sensibility out the window for many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom