Why on Earth are People Still Hoarding Toilet Paper etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank goodness we bought bidets for both bathrooms don’t have to worry about running out of TP ;)

Basis of problem is that residential tp not the same product as commercial grade. Difficult to repurpose production lines and product mix on the fly when office/hotel/restaurant tp stacked up unused and residential disappeared.

There is hoarding, but an underlying supply production and product mix issue exists. Reality behind the chaos.

I'm wondering where all the rubbing alcohol is. I've not seen a bottle since March...in SW Florida nor SE Michigan.

Does anyone else see rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol on their store shelves?

omni

I have been looking for rubbing alcohol for a month also. Finally ran across some in a Meijer store yesterday. We're in NE Ohio.

I do Walmart curbside pick up--even did it before the pandemic and it normally works great. I do a pick up every couple of weeks. I am in the NC mountains now hiding from the virus and did a pick up yesterday. Yikes! It was like back in March. I did not get about a third of my order. Maybe it was because local colleges have come back or maybe people are hoarding again or maybe there is a supply problem. Doesn't do much good to get hamburger buns if you can't get any hamburger!

I went to buy a new Stihl weed eater and my local dealer had only one on the shelf. He said he can't get get any new ones and had no idea when. Even though they are 'made' in the USA they are awaiting small parts and such from China.

I went to buy a new Stihl weed eater and my local dealer had only one on the shelf. He said he can't get get any new ones and had no idea when. Even though they are 'made' in the USA they are awaiting small parts and such from China.

I had to get a Stihl chainsaw that was sitting in the shed for at least 9 years refurbished and tuned up. The shop said parts are tough and everyone is home doing yard work so he is swamped on tune-ups, repairs, blade-sharpening, etc.

He said that if he had to replace the air filter it would be a problem, but he was able to clean it.

Basis of problem is that residential tp not the same product as commercial grade. Difficult to repurpose production lines and product mix on the fly when office/hotel/restaurant tp stacked up unused and residential disappeared.

There is hoarding, but an underlying supply production and product mix issue exists. Reality behind the chaos.
It appears you may be right. However, I’d hardly call 6+ months “on the fly” and my entire career was in manufacturing, not paper goods though. From what I read hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipe usage is indeed up significantly, toilet paper usage is not - the product mix has just changed.

If you are wanting rubbing alcohol to disinfect and can not find it look at your liquor stores for Everclear, or 151 rum. It's not available in every state or the concentration is non-optimal but for many It is a great solution.[emoji4] and you can drink it, but I wouldn't.

I got some no-name brand hand sanitizer from Home Depot. Not a gel, just a spray.

I swear it smells exactly like cheap vodka. Is that what I'm spraying on my hands, some vodka from a distillery?

And, no, I don't want to try a swig.

I got some no-name brand hand sanitizer from Home Depot. Not a gel, just a spray.

I swear it smells exactly like cheap vodka.

An expert on cheap vodka, are you?

Next time go to Whole Foods instead of HD. Their cheap spray sanitizer is craft vodka, artisan distilled from organically grown heirloom potatoes, sustainably harvested by PhD level agronomists. :LOL:

Actually, I use the same stuff from HD and it seems fine.

An expert on cheap vodka, are you?

I went to college. We learn things there.:angel:

For some reason, smells stick with you, especially after a "reversal event."

Shopped at Costco the other day and was surprised to see no Kirkland toilet paper, only Scott and limit one. They had hand sanitizer literally by the gallon.

Interesting! I had a big Homelite 2 cycle weed whacker listed on Craigslist forever with no takers. Until today! Sold it. Maybe due to the shortage you mention.

Shopped at Costco the other day and was surprised to see no Kirkland toilet paper, only Scott and limit one. They had hand sanitizer literally by the gallon.
In our current zip code, both Kirkland toilet paper and paper towels are available for Costco online order, limit 1 per customer.

Perhaps this graph will help people understand the shifting importance of various items in our lives from March to the present:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 7.40.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 7.40.46 AM.png
    413.4 KB · Views: 33
Great graph. I am sure people could think of other items to plot on it as well but I think it is hitting many of the key ones!

Perhaps this graph will help people understand the shifting importance of various items in our lives from March to the present:

There are two scientific problems with your graph, based entirely on my household of one data point.

First, the sweatpants line should go up at a 90-degree angle.

Second, the "chocolate consumption" factor isn't even accounted for. That is an egregious oversight. :D

Second, the "chocolate consumption" factor isn't even accounted for. That is an egregious oversight. :D

Agree! Guilty as charged. My consumption went exponential.

I swear it smells exactly like cheap vodka. Is that what I'm spraying on my hands, some vodka from a distillery?

I used to work with at least two people that smelled like that. Except when they tried to cover it up with old spice.

A Local distillery makes vodka from apples. Their hand sanitizer smells like vodka and rotten apples.

OP, maybe some folks just use more TP sheets in a sitting than others. Obviously not as frugal as some here. :) It may not be just dryer sheets. Hmmm. Perhaps we need a poll as to how many sheets one uses. LOL.

People don't use hoarded supplies so fast. They tend to hoard any brand they could get. When the favorite brand becomes available, they abandon their hoard and buy the favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom