Why Are These Cities Shrinking?

Those two examples cited in the OP had me thinking I'd like living there.

No click-bait lists for me. Especially if it's a list of cities. I don't want to live in a city. Never have, never will. I'll take the rednecks and their uninformed politics over city life every time. That first place with the nearby Walmart sounded pretty good.

The articles I find more interesting (and just maybe useful) are those talking about actual population increase/decrease in a given area, city or state. "Voting with your feet" for a given area takes all the hearsay, insults and finger pointing out of it. I saw one about the movement of U-Haul trailers. That was kinda entertaining.

This site is a bit out of date, but shows visually what was happening from 2010 to 2020.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/mapping-a-decade-of-us-population-growth/

Here's a U-haul movement site. It's obviously not totally representative. For instance, when we moved to the Islands, we moved with two suitcases each (back when they were included.)

https://www.uhaul.com/Articles/Abou...ul-Ranks-50-States-By-Migration-Growth-22746/

Just the facts, without the click bait (well, there's no such thing anymore.) YMMV

As I recall, Florida government is exceptionally well integrated with data from moving companies and Uhaul. They actively monitor moves and deaths to try and balance housing construction to match development to population. I remember the panic when the on balance growth went negative in 07 and they realized they had advance notice of the GFC.

The quickest way to compare differential population growth between two areas is to quote a move from A to B, and then quote the same move from B to A. The bigger the bias in price, the more obvious the pressure. Higher price represents truck demand.

Currently empty trucks being driven back to CA, so quotes to leave CA are much higher than to move to CA.

I didn't read the article, only the excerpt in the OP, but I didn't find anything particularly eggregious there. The mention of old people is buried in a list of other, more serious complaints ("little opportunity for career growth, extremely conservative beliefs, little diversity, poor healthcare, and horrible school systems"). The comment about people over 65 sounds like just an add-on to all of that, not the primary point.

I can understand how some people see a city full of elderly people as a downside. When I was young, up-and-coming, and seeking adventure, I would not have liked to live in a small city with a lot of elderly people. Perhaps I was "ageist" back then, but I think that's how a lot of young people are. Many do not relate to older people.

Places like Baltimore are tough to evaluate. Baltimore City has lost population but it is part of Baltimore County which has continued to grow. Some of the county’s growth is due to transplants from the city.

That blizzard was a lot worse though, depending on where in MD you live. I think just going to western Laurel, only 10-15 miles away, and they got something like 30".

There was a stretch where West Laurel into Northern Montgomery County was its own local snowbelt. There was a 40" measurement not far from us in a 2010 storm. We moved 125 miles away into Virginia and I look at the big snow shovel in the garage and ask myself why I bothered to move it. :rolleyes:

Maryland has much to be said for it as a retirement destination. The main problem for us was affordability, along with personal reasons that took away the most likely destination for us.

Places like Baltimore are tough to evaluate. Baltimore City has lost population but it is part of Baltimore County which has continued to grow. Some of the county’s growth is due to transplants from the city.

Quite true. St. Louis City is in a decline (for a variety of reasons). However, St. Louis County, St Charles County and Jefferson County are all within a 30 minute drive of downtown, and seem to be thriving.

Actually, we only go into the city for Cards games, and a few other specific places (Botanical Garden, Zoo).

St Charles City, where we live, has everything we need, though maybe on a smaller scale.

The majority of my immediate family live in St. Charles County and I go out there periodically to visit them. It has changed beyond recognition since I left home in 1977.

The majority of my immediate family live in St. Charles County and I go out there periodically to visit them. It has changed beyond recognition since I left home in 1977.

I have probably changed beyond recognition since then. :LOL:

Yeah, a lot of new subdivisions, and there seems to be a new one everyday. Farmers are selling off, and have been for years.

We are actually in the city limits of St. Charles city, but with a population of just over 70k, it is more like a big town than a city.

I hope you enjoy spending time (and money) at the Old Town establishments. If you like Peruvian food try Jalea.

Back
Top Bottom