Why on Earth are People Still Hoarding Toilet Paper etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We ran low on TP this week so I went to buy some at Costco. We never hoarded at all. I assumed the run on TP was over, but it’s not! They had only one brand, very low inventory, and signs all over saying “Limit 1.” I also noticed the cleaning products aisles are nearly empty in all the grocery stores still. I was talking to a neighbor last night and their daughter went back to school this week (hybrid remote and in person), and the school said each student is supposed to have a mask and disinfectant wipes, but they can’t find wipes anywhere!

WHY?

MINDLESS!

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020...oilet-paper-four-experts-give-their-opinions/
Stocking up on toilet paper is also a relatively cheap action, and people like to think that they are “doing something” when they feel at risk.

So I think this is just a preparation process, because we have seen that toilet paper has become a shortage item elsewhere.

Last edited:
I have been able to find paper products off and on, no rhyme or reason.
I would imagine as more restaurants open, etc, the need for paper products is increasing again.
Clorox type wipes are impossible to find. I have read that the company (J&J?) is working to increase output, but priority is medical needs, as it should be. The article did say by January they hoped to have more availability.
I have been able to find some alcohol disinfectant wipes.
Otherwise, I make my own with either bleach and water, or use alcohol in a spray bottle with paper towels or reusable handiwipes.

Paper products makers are having a hard time keep up with consumer demand with usage moving more to home and from work/business. Towels are the biggest issue currently. Machines expensive & time-consuming to convert. Big WSJ article on it yesterday.

Paper products haven't been an issue here since May. Costco fully stocked for quite a long time with the exception of Chlorox wipes.

Paper products makers are having a hard time keep up with consumer demand with usage moving more to home and from work/business. Towels are the biggest issue currently. Machines expensive & time-consuming to convert. Big WSJ article on it yesterday.
Funny there aren’t more “users,” they just moved where the uses are. I would have thought usage would have reverted to mean by now once everyone stocked up. Obviously not.

Fully stocked around here for the past couple of months.

Lots of paper items missing from store shelves. Recently I haven't been able to find sandpaper finer than 80 grit. That baffles me.

Lots of paper items missing from store shelves. Recently I haven't been able to find sandpaper finer than 80 grit. That baffles me.

Home improvement and nesting fad during the pandemic home time. You need that 220 to refinish all the furniture.

At our Kroger, the cleaning products, including Clorox Wipes, have been well stocked for the past 5 or so weeks. Today, while there, the cleaning supplies were once again depleted and looked like it did back in March. Just empty shelves. I've been buying one or two cleaning items each week since they started restocking different items back in late June/early July, so I am good to go for quite awhile. But I don't understand the shortages that still exist either.

I was at Costco this past week, and the same problem, only a few packages of TP available.
I asked a worker where the Costco TP was (figuring I had not seen it). But nope, they had none...

We have about 6 months worth, but since we used up a package, I was going to replace what we used as I was on a spending spree.

This is a crappy situation :LOL:

TP is available. Granted, I haven't been looking for it lately since we have a couple of big packages in the house.

But why is Lysol Power and Free Spray still unobtainium? It is the only spray I trust on my treated shower doors, and I'm out of it. Nobody has it.

Funny there aren’t more “users,” they just moved where the uses are. I would have thought usage would have reverted to mean by now once everyone stocked up. Obviously not.
It's the type of paper towels & tp rolls. THink of all the folded hand towels in dispensers at work & public places. Think various work & public toilet paper dispensers. Those items are made on totally different machines than home products. So yes the mean total amount consumed is near same, but the types are differnet.

Think everyone wanting to buy Corvettes all at once & not pickups. Not more vehicles demand, just different.

I went to Costco about three weeks ago and there was tons of TP. Went again Friday and the TP aisle was completely bare. Saw that people were buying up what was left of paper towels, however. :confused:

I am hoarding now as I expect a problem come Halloween.
Yes, this. I think people feel that the crisis is not over and they need to get ahead of the game for the next potential rush on supplies.

I am hoarding now as I expect a problem come Halloween.
09d1430961bfa828a30daaae6449c30f.jpg

No problem here with paper products. They've even taken down the "limit per person" signs.

Same here in FLA, but still have issues securing wipes and Lysol type spray.

Things are pretty well stocked here with the exception of disinfectant anything. Bacterial sprays and wipes are somewhat available but not a disinfectant one to be had.

I'm in the we'll have a worse 2nd wave/bad flu season on top of Covid, with attendant shortages, camp and have been slowly stocking up to maintain a 6-12 month supply of everything except perishable foods. I have the room and will use up the products, so why not.

I'm in the we'll have a worse 2nd wave/bad flu season on top of Covid, with attendant shortages, camp and have been slowly stocking up to maintain a 6-12 month supply of everything except perishable foods. I have the room and will use up the products, so why not.
Some projections suggest we’ll have a lighter than normal flu season with so many people wearing masks and distancing along with fewer trips out in public/schools - stands to reason. I hope so...

So do I, but who knows. Got together (outdoors, socially distanced) with some friends (2 other couples) yesterday evening and based on some of the comments from one couple, I'm not putting my money on anything.

My child is leaving for college soon. I made a "care" package of a bunch of masks, Lysol spray, Clorox wipes, and hand sanitizer and so on assuming these will be in short supply at the university. Then again, if they end up closing up in a couple of weeks...

Yikes! I have not even thought about paper products lately. I just checked my inventory--I am down to a couple of weeks of toilet paper and only 2 boxes of Kleenex. I better start the hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom