My Mind Playing Tricks On Me Again

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Starting my day as usual, I was reading the news stories, when I came across an article of former baseball home ring king, Hank Aaron, responded about the Houston Astros' cheating scandal.

Had me seriously scratching my head, as I recall, clear as day (at least according to my memory) that Hank Aaron had passed away. There were news announcements and obituaries about a year or two ago .... or not! I even remember having conversations with people discussing his death.

The false memory is a strange feeling, to say the least.

I had that happen with David Crosby. Maybe 10 years ago, there was some reference to him, I thought "can't be, he's been dead for years". Whenever I heard something about him (rarely), I still thought he was dead. Then heard he was going on tour, OK, THAT was a bit much! Checked wiki, still alive! Don't know where I got the firm idea that he was eight miles high...

I'm still waiting for Ed McMann to show up with that big PCH check!

I had that happen with David Crosby. Maybe 10 years ago, there was some reference to him, I thought "can't be, he's been dead for years". Whenever I heard something about him (rarely), I still thought he was dead. Then heard he was going on tour, OK, THAT was a bit much! Checked wiki, still alive! Don't know where I got the firm idea that he was eight miles high...

Yeah. When I read that Hank Aaron article, was like I had seen a ghost as I vividly "remember" the news coverage and highlights of his home run breaking Babe Ruth's record as his death was announced. The only thing I can think of now is perhaps the highlights was the home run anniversary and my mind assumed it was a death announcement.

Maybe you were thinking of Ted Williams.

For a while, I thought Elvis was dead.

No. I thought Hank Aaron.

In my self-doubt, I thought, maybe Willie Mays. But he is still alive. Then perhaps Willie McCovey or Rod Carew as they both passed away about a year ago. But I know the difference between Hank Aaron and the both of them.

I think either (1) I saw highlights news coverage of Hank Aaron's anniversary of him breaking Babe Ruth's HR record, but my mind registered that was an obituary type store or (2) I stepped into a parallel universe and saw the future. Thing is, I'm not sure which two I'm more positive of :popcorn:.

No. I thought Hank Aaron.

In my self-doubt, I thought, maybe Willie Mays. But he is still alive. Then perhaps Willie McCovey or Rod Carew as they both passed away about a year ago. But I know the difference between Hank Aaron and the both of them.

I think either (1) I saw highlights news coverage of Hank Aaron's anniversary of him breaking Babe Ruth's HR record, but my mind registered that was an obituary type store or (2) I stepped into a parallel universe and saw the future. Thing is, I'm not sure which two I'm more positive of :popcorn:.

Rod Carew is still alive. :angel:

https://www.themarysue.com/memory-distortion-in-brain/

This theory/research can explain why older folks are said to have memory problems. They have had more time to revisit the memories and corrupt them. I hope it has been disproven in the last few years (article is from 2012). Maybe if I remember it next year the results will more to my liking! Haha

That's weird.

My recurring strange memory is that the New York Jets have won the Super Bowl.

Can't tell if you are serious, but if you are, google Joe Namath.

I was just going to look that up, because Carew was one of my favorite players growing up, and I'd think I'd remember if he passed.

I just ordered On Being Certain : Believing You Are Right Even When You're Not by Robert A. Burton. A friend recommended it. I can't recall if she said it helps with clarity in remembering, or helps explain why you feel certain about things that are wrong. Some reviews of the book say that he has an essay on Salon.com that covers the topic well, but since I'm now dating that friend I thought I should get the book.

I know, there's many people they say are dead that are alive and well. Back in the 80s I met Jim Morrison alive and well driving taxi in Chicago.

What's going on here? I was sure he died in 2019 :facepalm:

Well, at least I found an article that he had died once with a massive heart attack but the docs revived him with paddles and he had a heart transplant. I still thought that he had still died afterwards.

Now I'm leaning towards me stepping into a parallel universe theory :(.

Okay. So, I brought up an article listing deaths of famous athletes in 2019.

Very possible, I was thinking Rod Carew and Hank Aaron died but got them mixed up with Frank Robinson. All Hall of Famers and played in the same era.

Perhaps? But a part of my brain still "remembers" vivid discussions about them dying.

Guess, I wouldn't make a good witness :(.

My apologies to Hank and Rod.

As time goes by I'm amazed at how memory is not to be trusted :( .My saving grace is that I am aware of this so I try not to rely on it (anything that needs to be done gets put on my calendar immediately) and I never insist that my recollection is correct. If I need to remember to bring something, I put in it front of my front door immediately.

You time slipped between parallel universes is all. Happens all the time. It's a bitch when actually caught between the two though. That's when you talk to someone in one universe but are physically still in the other. Everybody thinks I'm crazy when that happens.

I'm sure Dusty Baker is/was dead. My dad lived in an independent living facility where Dusty's brother lived. I'd often see Dusty during meals in the dining room, sometimes even sharing the table with my dad, him and his brother. I vividly recall when I was told he died one day while visiting. Today in the Sports section of the newspaper I read he's managing the Huston Astro's. Well, o.k. another time slip between universes I guess. At least in this one I'm FIRE, so there's that....

You time slipped between parallel universes is all. Happens all the time. It's a bitch when actually caught between the two though. That's when you talk to someone in one universe but are physically still in the other. Everybody thinks I'm crazy when that happens.

I'm sure Dusty Baker is/was dead. My dad lived in an independent living facility where Dusty's brother lived. I'd often see Dusty during meals in the dining room, sometimes even sharing the table with my dad, him and his brother. I vividly recall when I was told he died one day while visiting. Today in the Sports section of the newspaper I read he's managing the Huston Astro's. Well, o.k. another time slip between universes I guess. At least in this one I'm FIRE, so there's that....

Glad to see I'm not alone. But I actually knew Dusty Baker is alive.
BTW ... Dusty Baker was on deck when Hank Aaron hit his 715th HR to break Babe Ruth's record. Just sayin' :popcorn:.
Oh ... my mind was at it again last night as I was sure Michael Milken (the junk bond king) had died, but saw his name, alive and kicking, in the news yesterday.

Last edited:
Well, here I am building false memories again :facepalm:.

Been waiting for my IRS Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN) which I get every year from the IRS via snail mail. I called the friendly IRS office today. They said that the IP PIN was sent out in December. They are going to do a resend with should take about 21 calendar days to arrive.

My mind actually remembers (sort of) receiving the IRS PIN. I seem to recall making a mental note that the PIN arrived earlier than normal this year.

I have a folder which I place my tax info, but the letter with the PIN is nowhere to be found. So anything could have happened from the letter landing in a neighbor's mailbox and the neighbor just tossing. Or me tossing the letter with junk mail. Or me placing the letter somewhere for "safe keeping" only to forget where I placed the thing. Bad feeling as I feel like Uncle Billy of "It's a Wonderful Life" losing the cash to deposit. Hate that feeling :mad:.

Anyhow, 21 calendar days from now take me to March 20th which is around when I am planning on filing anyhow. Still ... losing my mind with false memories is no fun.

As time goes by I'm amazed at how memory is not to be trusted :( .My saving grace is that I am aware of this so I try not to rely on it (anything that needs to be done gets put on my calendar immediately) and I never insist that my recollection is correct. If I need to remember to bring something, I put in it front of my front door immediately.
Me too.
In addition, I have been having what I know damn well are false memories. Very disturbing sometimes.
Defaulting to not making strong statements or taking hard positions these days.
"I was so much older then, I'm much younger now." (Bob Dylan)

Well David Crosby is probably closer to death than Hank Aaron.:D

What you’re all describing is known as the “Mandela Effect”. I don’t think it’s just due to aging.

I have not googled this. Please tell me that he hit #715 off Al Dowling (sp?) of the Dodgers? Please?!

Yes. You are still correct. Facts haven't changed on this :).

Back
Top Bottom