I hate car dealerships

G8tr

Recycles dryer sheets
Just a short rant, so bear with me (or feel free to share your own feelings). DW and I are in the market for a new Volvo SUV to replace her 11 year old Honda. At this point in our lives, we would like a nicer car than a Honda. BUT, that doesn't mean we like being forced to buy features we don't want (nav system, panoramic roof, etc...). The response we've received from dealers is that those features are installed because they're what customers want. This seems like a load of BS to me, since several have offered to discount heavily those same features to try and make a sale (hence, I assume they're major money-makers for dealers). So, the alternative is ordering the car from the factory without the unwanted features. In response, dealers have told us that they can't guaranty the various Volvo incentives will be around in 8-10 weeks when the car is delivered - even if I already put down a deposit to lock in the price (apparently I can only lock in the dealer's price).

Thanks for reading. Just needed to get that off my chest.

I think the problem is that automobiles built overseas are not ordered by dealerships. The manufacturer orders vehicles mostly loaded up with options and then distributes them to their dealers uniformly.

If a dealership has a customer that wants a specific color, they can divert one intransit from the shipping port intended to go to another dealer.

Volvo's are very high line vehicles, and most owners do want the bells and whistles. But if you want one "strippo" unit, the best deal is ordering European delivery where they'll pay your flights to Europe, one night's room and give you a factory tour. Then you can drive it all over Europe of you choose. It's a great deal.

When dealing with foreign vehicles, often you have to compromise on how vehicles are equipped. It's a take it or leave it proposition.

Thanks Bamaman.

I've never heard the term "strippo" before, but I understand the meaning. As for Volvo's being high end, I disagree somewhat, simply because they aren't in the same luxury class as Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Jaguar, etc. I'd peg them more along the lines of Acura or Infiniti.

I considered the European vacation purchase option, but that's not really an option in the middle of a pandemic. We also have young kids at home, so childcare would be a problem.
I think the problem is that automobiles built overseas are not ordered by dealerships. The manufacturer orders vehicles mostly loaded up with options and then distributes them to their dealers uniformly.

If a dealership has a customer that wants a specific color, they can divert one intransit from the shipping port intended to go to another dealer.

Volvo's are very high line vehicles, and most owners do want the bells and whistles. But if you want one "strippo" unit, the best deal is ordering European delivery where they'll pay your flights to Europe, one night's room and give you a factory tour. Then you can drive it all over Europe of you choose. It's a great deal.

When dealing with foreign vehicles, often you have to compromise on how vehicles are equipped. It's a take it or leave it proposition.

No real bearing to your situation, but this is another way I like how Tesla is shaking things up. No dealerships. Order online with the options you want/don't and done.

From my experience, it always seems like it's the panoramic roof/moon roof plus required features that "tag along" with those roof additions that has caused me to walk out of a dealership more times than I care to remember. I get the frustration.

What I find interesting here in Central Texas is something of an opposite problem. Nearly every new vehicle sold here that has the option of FWD or AWD comes with FWD.

Now, I get that there aren't a lot of mountains in this region. But the roads here do ice over several days from mid-fall through winter, especially the bridge sections over rivers and streams. There are rainstorms all year round (when not in a drought, like we are now), causing a lot of standing water as drainage is slow in much of the area.

Part of the drainage issue is the clay soil, which doesn't drain fast, in addition to ending up on the roads due to rains and construction vehicles. All of these situations would benefit from having an AWD vehicle. Good luck finding one on a lot unless the model only comes with AWD (typically the higher end vehicles).

Last edited:
Agreed. Tesla has a great lineup of cars and sales model. We actually considered a Model 3, but when we priced it out, the car was over $50k.
No real bearing to your situation, but this is another way I like how Tesla is shaking things up. No dealerships. Order online with the options you want/don't and done.

Agreed. Tesla has a great lineup of cars and sales model. We actually considered a Model 3, but when we priced it out, the car was over $50k.
I dunno, if want you want is more expensive than you willing to pay, how is that a great lineup? On top of that, Teslas are low rated for reliability by Consumer Reports. Seems strange given the reduced number of parts EV's have. Nothing against EV's other than I don't get thire value equation as of yet.

Just a short rant, so bear with me (or feel free to share your own feelings). DW and I are in the market for a new Volvo SUV to replace her 11 year old Honda. At this point in our lives, we would like a nicer car than a Honda. BUT, that doesn't mean we like being forced to buy features we don't want (nav system, panoramic roof, etc...). The response we've received from dealers is that those features are installed because they're what customers want. This seems like a load of BS to me, since several have offered to discount heavily those same features to try and make a sale (hence, I assume they're major money-makers for dealers). So, the alternative is ordering the car from the factory without the unwanted features. In response, dealers have told us that they can't guaranty the various Volvo incentives will be around in 8-10 weeks when the car is delivered - even if I already put down a deposit to lock in the price (apparently I can only lock in the dealer's price).

That is exactly why we have ordered our last two vehicles... we were able to get what we wanted and didn't end up being forced to buy higher trim levels or overpriced options that seem to be loaded onto the cars on dealer lots.

No way I'm going to pay $800+ for the manufacturer's complicated GPS system when I have a Garmin that is easy to use or I can plug my phone's GPS in via Android Auto. And I've had sunroofs in the past that rarely were used.

I never ran into the last part... the deal was the deal... they quoted me an out-the-door price and that was all I was going to pay. $500 deposit each time. I'm not sure how the dealers handled the incentive risk... whenter they were able to lock in the incentives since they had a signed contract and deposit or whether they were just going to eat any change if they needed to... but the reality is that the are always offering some sort of incentive.

Last edited:
I am very sorry to read that “you hate car dealerships”.
Most people love them as they embody all the Boy Scout virtues: trustworthy...helpful, friendly, courteous, kind..., cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean...

I dunno, if want you want is more expensive than you willing to pay, how is that a great lineup? On top of that, Teslas are low rated for reliability by Consumer Reports. Seems strange given the reduced number of parts EV's have. Nothing against EV's other than I don't get thire value equation as of yet.

A lot of vehicles with poor reliability are cherished by many...Tesla, Volvo, Jeep, Jaguar, etc.

Scanners are detecting large quantities of sarcasm, Captain.
I am very sorry to read that “you hate car dealerships”.
Most people love them as they embody all the Boy Scout virtues: trustworthy...helpful, friendly, courteous, kind..., cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean...

I've had over 100 new cars. Many of which were luxury vehicles and company cars.

Now that I've retired and have to pay for my cars fully, I am now choosing models that are #1 very reliable and trouble free and #2 lower depreciating cars.

And after 24 years in the car business, I still have friends in the auto business that sell many different brands. I usually buy vehicles right.

But after all, they're just transportation to get me from point A to point B. The 2018 Camry Hybrid and new F150 were cheaper than the average vehicle sold, and will last me a long, long time. I still have a Lexus IS to run around in and a Jaguar XK8 convertible weekend driver.

Check out this rating. Its about panel gaps and paint quality.

Somewhere I heard that high volume car dealers love to special order cars. They get a set number of cars from the factory, but a special order car does not count as part of that, so if they know they can sell every car they get, this is a bonus sale. It also can increase their allocation for the next year. They may (or may not) be willing to give you a good deal since it's an extra sale.

Just a short rant, so bear with me (or feel free to share your own feelings). DW and I are in the market for a new Volvo SUV to replace her 11 year old Honda. At this point in our lives, we would like a nicer car than a Honda. BUT, ....

Perhaps you should consider re-examining your goals? You might go for a higher end Honda or Toyota for instance. I don't know what that means in price differential though. Cars have changed a lot in the last 11 years. FWIW, we too want to buy a new car and our newest is the Honda at 16 years. :)

Many new Volvo's have only average reliability ratings. If you want something "nicer" get an Acura or a Lexus.

As to additional features you don't want, that's a issue with most manufacturers these days. For example, I hate the auto shut-off feature on my car but you can't buy the car without it. I also don't like being forced to by a certain trim level to get one or two features.

I'm an extremely happy Volvo SUV owner (XC60) but I have to admit they severely limit the basic configurations and optional packages. Still, I love what I have; it's by far the best car I've ever owned. The issue is that Volvo sells so few cars compared to other manufacturers that they seem to feel forced to limit the available configurations. You can still get pretty much whatever you want by special ordering one; it's just that the general selection at dealerships has to be only the most common choices.

.... But if you want one "strippo" unit, the best deal is .... often you have to compromise on how vehicles are equipped. It's a take it or leave it proposition.

Phrase I'm familiar with for a stripped down plain Jane model car is a stripper. To be specific, a Sally Rand.

The pick up your car in Europe thing used to sound crazy to me.

Lately, it sounds like a good idea (post pandemic, of course). I could envision an interesting Sweden to Germany trip.

Ask the dealer to have the Volvo zone manager call you. Put the problem in his/her lap.

Hard to argue with your position that you don't want to buy something without knowing the price.

Volvo lover here. Also a XC60 (plus a few others previously) Very happy in mine. For the most part my Volvos have been reliable. I keep up on service & change the oil regular. 2 have gone over 300k miles. And I have done some stupid stuff to mine.

IDK why the in stock inventory is what it is. Likely a combo of buyers wanting a good selection of options on a mid luxury car. I would highly encourage you to do the Volvo Overseas Delivery (OSD). They really treated us well. My late wife had so much fun on my trip she wanted one of her own....and she was very happy in her Rav4. She passed before she could go on the trip. The downside to OSD is waiting for the car to be shipped over. I think mine was 8-10 weeks to the West coast. And I would take the kids too! What an adventure

I don't hate car dealerships, but then I assume that the cars a dealer has to sell are the cars that I see on his lot, with the extras that those cars already have.

Years ago when I bought my 2009 Venza (new) at the local Toyota dealership, first I went on a test drive. Then we bargained, I got a decent price, I wrote a check for that amount, and off I went in my new Venza. The whole process took about an hour. I really don't know what else they should have done. They gave me a cup of coffee.

I suppose they could have skipped the "do you want to finance" sales pitch, and the "do you want this or that at an extra cost" sales pitch, but I didn't want any of that. The salesman accepted my decisions and rushed through those topics since he had to at least give them lip service. We both understood what that was all about (that he just was required to do it).

CR isn't the end all be all that some folks would LIKE it to be.

Indeed.

The Dodge Challenger has a propensity to spin the tires upon accelerating from a stop, has low, rumbling noisy exhaust, terrible rear seat leg room, smallish trunk with high trunk lift over height, poor rear quarter visibility, etc. etc.

Just terrible.

Volvo lover here. Also a XC60 (plus a few others previously) Very happy in mine. For the most part my Volvos have been reliable. I keep up on service & change the oil regular. 2 have gone over 300k miles. And I have done some stupid stuff to mine.

IDK why the in stock inventory is what it is. Likely a combo of buyers wanting a good selection of options on a mid luxury car. I would highly encourage you to do the Volvo Overseas Delivery (OSD). They really treated us well. My late wife had so much fun on my trip she wanted one of her own....and she was very happy in her Rav4. She passed before she could go on the trip. The downside to OSD is waiting for the car to be shipped over. I think mine was 8-10 weeks to the West coast. And I would take the kids too! What an adventure

Early retirement would be the perfect time in life to do this. No need to rush the delivery. I'd have to warm up to Volvos before biting, though. I'll still consider it.

I also noticed you can drop off and don't have to return to Sweden. About €500 to drop off in Munich. Not bad if you want to wander without going through the return.

Back
Top Bottom