Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   The Photographers' Corner - 2021 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/the-photographers-corner-2021-a-107182.html)

street 05-30-2021 09:38 PM

^ fantastic!!! Some shots were pretty darn good.

Freedom56 05-30-2021 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by street (Post 2614015)
^ fantastic!!! Some shots were pretty darn good.

Thanks. I hope you aren't referring to the motorcycle shots.;D

street 06-03-2021 03:40 PM

What motorcycles? Lol

I just went back and watched it again and yeah the motorcycle shot are fantastic. LOL

Love the tune also!!

street 06-03-2021 03:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Went early this morning to check on eaglets. Mom & dad got a pheasant in back of nest now, any way it appears to be one.

Ronstar 06-03-2021 05:47 PM

very nice street - they are growing fast!

aja8888 06-03-2021 06:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Went walking with my dog this morning in a treed area of our development. We do this walk daily and today, and after days if rain and low 70 temps at night, the mushrooms were popping out. Here's one interesting one I snapped a photo of (no idea what it is though):

Attachment 39131

Freedom56 06-03-2021 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by street (Post 2615577)
Went early this morning to check on eaglets. Mom & dad got a pheasant in back of nest now, any way it appears to be one.

very nice.

conversationalphrase 06-04-2021 07:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Juvenile bald eagle - turning his head to watch me!Attachment 39133

pacergal 06-04-2021 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 2615648)
Went walking with my dog this morning in a treed area of our development. We do this walk daily and today, and after days if rain and low 70 temps at night, the mushrooms were popping out. Here's one interesting one I snapped a photo of (no idea what it is though):

Attachment 39131

Amanita caesarea?

Ronstar 06-04-2021 11:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
+1. According to an app

aja8888 06-04-2021 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronstar (Post 2615898)
+1. According to an app

Nice! Now read this!

Quote:

Amanita caesarea, commonly known as Caesar's mushroom, is a highly regarded edible mushroom in the genus Amanita, native to southern Europe and North Africa. While it was first described by Giovanni Antonio Scopoli in 1772, this mushroom was a known favorite of early rulers of the Roman Empire.[1]

It has a distinctive orange cap, yellow gills and stipe. Organic acids have been isolated from this species. Similar orange-capped species occur in North America and India. It was known to and valued by the Ancient Romans, who called it Boletus, a name now applied to a very different type of fungus.

Although it is edible, the Caesar's mushroom is closely related to the psychoactive fly agaric, and to the deadly poisonous death cap and destroying angels.

Ronstar 06-04-2021 07:45 PM

I wouldn't eat it. Every one of the ancient Romans who ate it are now dead.

Ronstar 06-04-2021 07:50 PM

Has anyone here published a photo book? I've done a couple with Blurb, and they are expensive. I'm looking around for a less expensive alternative, but I can't find any that are said to have decent photo quality.

Interested in seeing what publishers (if any) that folks here use.

aja8888 06-04-2021 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronstar (Post 2616148)
Has anyone here published a photo book? I've done a couple with Blurb, and they are expensive. I'm looking around for a less expensive alternative, but I can't find any that are said to have decent photo quality.

I did several with Amazon Prime Photos. They were done by me uploading photo files to Amazon and creating the albums from their standard formats. Mine were pretty simple ones like our trip three years ago to the U.P. of Michigan where I helped a friend build a boat, and a couple of similar albums for my sister of old family photos. These were very inexpensive.

This may not be what you are looking for though. But it's worth a look.

The Cosmic Avenger 06-05-2021 05:28 AM

Quote:

My MIL has used Shutterfly for making a book of, say, vacation or holiday photos. It's cute, and a nicer way to remember something than just flipping through your Camera Uploads folder.

kcowan 06-05-2021 04:12 PM

You can also get a phone protector with a Selection of your photos.

Time2 06-05-2021 04:19 PM

Quote:

Although it is edible, the Caesar's mushroom is closely related to the psychoactive fly agaric, and to the deadly poisonous death cap.
Two out of three ain't bad! ;)

Walt34 06-05-2021 04:26 PM

Quote:

Has anyone here published a photo book? I've done a couple with Blurb, and they are expensive.

I've done several with Blurb, and yes they are expensive. If I ever do any more I'll still use Blurb because the ones I made ten years ago are showing no signs of fading or of failing bindings. I'll wager that ones from Walmart or CVS cannot say the same.

A family favorite book is one that I made on impulse of the two grandnieces, then ages two and five, ostensibly watering plants but in reality just playing with the garden hose. The plants that did get water got it as afterthought or accidentally. DW's sister (Grandma Mimi) got watered too! I just shot a lot of photos trying to get candid moments and evidently succeeded. The two grandnieces are now 12 and 15 and that little 7"x7" photo book is treasured by the recipients.

aja8888 06-05-2021 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Time2 (Post 2616533)
Two out of three ain't bad! ;)

I imagine if you boil any of 'em you find and chase 'em with cold beer, you will be OK. If we can handle the rattlers and scorpions here in Texas, a few boiled mushrooms is 'nuttin.......

DrRoy 06-06-2021 04:52 AM

Quote:

We have 21 photo books and all but the first are Blurb. When we started, they were the only outlet that had a large page (13X11) for landscapes, and no page limit. Our books run 150-250 pages. With a coupon for 30-40% off, they run about $1 a page.