Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend has a 2018 Vette and just ordered the 2021 mid engine one. During the summer we like to go out to lunch, once per week, at a fun restaurant on the lake and he always throws me the keys and I drive.
My wife gets the biggest kick out of watching us get out of the car.:LOL:
It's not as easy as when I had my 1970 Stingray 40 years ago.

Regular cars freak me out. I feel like my butt is dragging down the road. Since we bought our first SUV late 90s we got used to sitting up higher. We even started only renting intermediate SUVs when DF started complaining about how hard it was to get in and out of my sister’s car. He was used to his truck.

We have a Subaru Outback that is reasonably comfortable but for an all day ride I am much more comfortable in my Toyota Tacoma.

Last year we bought a new BMW X3 30e hybrid. It is great around town, mostly electric, but we have taken it on road trips and its reasonably comfortable. However, we also bought a new Ram 3500 dually last year, loaded of course. It is soooooo comfortable and powerful, its my preferred road trip vehicle. Particularly its required when we take the camper too! Both have very low miles, and seem like a waste, but Blow the Dough came into play.

Last year we bought a new BMW X3 30e hybrid. It is great around town, mostly electric, but we have taken it on road trips and its reasonably comfortable. However, we also bought a new Ram 3500 dually last year, loaded of course. It is soooooo comfortable and powerful, its my preferred road trip vehicle. Particularly its required when we take the camper too! Both have very low miles, and seem like a waste, but Blow the Dough came into play.

Well those 2 purchases definitely qualify for this thread. I agree on the comfort of pickup trucks. Nice rides!

DW just found a female Shih Tzu puppy. I didn't realize puppies were btd but in Covid-19 world they are. It's going to be a few weeks before she arrives.

I like sedans and low cars and want it to be easy to get in and out (among other things) so I keep working out and keep my body...especially my legs...strong enough that it's easy to get in and out of any vehicle.

So far so good, but one day I expect that I'll have to find a taller vehicle.

My corvette was a 2001 Blow That Dough moment. Took a walk at lunchtime at work. Chevy dealer was 2 blocks away. I signed the papers after a brief test drive and picked up the car after work. I’ve had 20 years of fun with that car.

Ronstar, that is a great story! I'm not sure I was ever that compulsive, on an item that costly.

I blew the dough back in 2005 when I bought my 2nd home in the high country.

In 2005, my stash has recovered from the market meltdown due to the dotcom and tech implosion, plus the 9/11 attack. It was at 2x the value at the bottom in Oct 2002 (the S&P was up to 1.6x its low value).

This emboldened me to believe that I could afford the home. In addition, I was also recovering from a bad episode in life, and decided to enjoy life while I was able.

I have not spent as much as that since then and most likely never will, even though my stash has grown even more. In fact, if I did not buy the 2nd home then, I would not buy it now. I am getting old, and that's too much work.

Last edited:
^ I can relate to a few spending sprees myself. In about early 1990's I talked my wife into buying a small irrigated farm. We really didn't have the extra money but it was a dream to be able to work part of the land and rent out some, to make a profit. She finally agreed and my fully time job which was 365 days a year, and my farming part time job was the start of a busy journey. Lol

That small farm I sold for 14 times more, then what I paid for it 20 year later. We always made some profit each year and it paid for itself and was a very rewarding part of my life, which was something I wanted to do in life.

I know three people that bought ne 2021 corvettes. I beleive they where in the 60K range. I really like the looks of every vett's but I would never have one. Mostly because I'm not a car person and autos aren't something I crave to have.

I can say they are hard on a persons body if you have to ride in one for 500 miles in one sitting.

Way back in high school, I envisioned having a Corvette, but it never happened.
But I have a Mustang convertible now, bought new about 12 years ago. I drive it year round in the Boston area although it can be a bit dicey if too much snow not yet cleared off, in which case I switch to my F-150.

I'm preparing to blow some dough on the new hybrid AWD Mustang in 18 months or so if Ford will please make it happen.
This will be a performance hybrid, with electric motors on the front wheels to balance the excessive torque still available on the rear wheels...

By all accounts, the new mid engine Corvette is an astonishingly great car - in every respect and even in comparison to other far more expensive sports cars.

That it is so inexpensive is pretty amazing.

That it can be repaired at any Chevy or even GMC dealership is just icing.

GM, after decades of knowing the front engine design was competitively doomed in that segment, finally fixed it.

I had fun just trying different colors and options at the Build and Price Chevy website: https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/corvette/build-and-price/config

Way back in high school, I envisioned having a Corvette, but it never happened.
But I have a Mustang convertible now, bought new about 12 years ago. I drive it year round in the Boston area although it can be a bit dicey if too much snow not yet cleared off, in which case I switch to my F-150.

I'm preparing to blow some dough on the new hybrid AWD Mustang in 18 months or so if Ford will please make it happen.
This will be a performance hybrid, with electric motors on the front wheels to balance the excessive torque still available on the rear wheels...

That is great! You just make sure you post it here, I would love to see your new ride!

An electric motor on the non main drive axle makes a lot of sense. My Rav4 Hybrid has a 3rd motor on the rear axle that makes it AWD. It works very well based upon my limited experience. Though I understand for real off-roading the mechanical linkage AWD is still better. But, I doubt if you will be driving your Mustang through dried up stream beds and up boulder strewn mountains. :)

Same! This thread made me realize a disturbing fact: I have never even been *IN* a Corvette! :facepalm: Hard to fathom.

I've driven a Corvette only because our used brand new car needed tons of repairs and the dealer who sold us the piece of junk gave us a Corvette as a loaner a couple of times. I've also driven a Camaro (remember Camaro?) and some kind of Oldsmobile for the same reason. I'm not a car person (at all), but Corvette gave a huge kick. I've been in two other Corvette (co-workers when I lived in the bay area). I imagine people who are into fast/pretty cars may enjoy it.

By all accounts, the new mid engine Corvette is an astonishingly great car - in every respect and even in comparison to other far more expensive sports cars.

GM, after decades of knowing the front engine design was competitively doomed in that segment, finally fixed it.

I had fun just trying different colors and options at the Build and Price Chevy website: https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/corvette/build-and-price/config

The new C8 has also shut down the grousing from many of the folks who always "sniffed" and then said that Corvettes were fast and cheap but not "sophisticated" like the German or Italian sports cars. I just wish Zora Arkus-Duntov https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zora_Arkus-Duntov had been able to see the C8. It's pretty close to what he envisioned as nearly as I can tell.

You see what I'm doing, don't you? I'm trying to talk myself into buying one. Well, DW will probably have something to say about that - but YMMV.

We've spent a fair bit the last month or so but did get some good deals:

- $2500 on a used kitchen...20' of upper and lower maple cabinets for the new cabin. A tremendous deal compared to new ($12 - $15,000)
- $1500 on a 1-year old double oven and convection microwave ($3500 new)
- $1600 on luxury vinyl plank for the cabin
- $1500 on a washer/dryer combo for the cabin
- $800 for a 4-year old riding mower ($1800 new)
- $400 on a Ryobi cordless combo kit (drill, impact driver, reciprocating saw, circular saw, oscillating tool, flashlight)
- $300 for shelterbelt trees and shrubs

Total $8600. That's quite a lot for us and our modest means :LOL:

Yeah, Chevy finally got the Corvette just right, plus at the right price.

Yeah, Chevy finally got the Corvette just right, plus at the right price.

I've heard there have been some "teething" problems, but that's to be expected. I figure in a year or two, they'll get everything sorted out - plus up the performance. In the mean time, I'll keep dropping hints to DW. "Hey Hon, did you hear that the new C8 Vette is a good investment?" "Uhhh, dear, you DO know the C8 is an automatic, right?" "Sweetie, I hear that the new Vette comes in that color you like so well." What do you think? Think I need to work on my BTD lines a bit! YMMV

Couldn't decide whether this should be in "last order from Amazon" or Blow That Dough!

I think here since this is utterly unnecessary, but FUN.

OK, sort of fun ... had mechanical timers for lamps, etc at one point - then electronic timers - this is wifi enabled, software controllable from anywhere, built is timer and grouping functions ... or, is supposed to be. On order!

https://www.amazon.com/Outlet-Requi...Pack+[Upgraded+Version]&qid=1618506056&sr=8-1

Couldn't decide whether this should be in "last order from Amazon" or Blow That Dough!

I think here since this is utterly unnecessary, but FUN.

OK, sort of fun ... had mechanical timers for lamps, etc at one point - then electronic timers - this is wifi enabled, software controllable from anywhere, built is timer and grouping functions ... or, is supposed to be. On order!

https://www.amazon.com/Outlet-Requi...Pack+[Upgraded+Version]&qid=1618506056&sr=8-1

That sounds pretty cool! We have a ton of timers (3 houses), so I'm interested in how well these work. Update us after you've tried them out, if you would. Currently I'm still using mechanical ones, with all their warts. I've just been too cheap to update to electronic, but I'd definitely make the jump to the wifi if they work well.

Bought new appliances, paint, pergo, lighting for my condo. Still need to order my sleep number bed and will also redo the bathroom once my son leaves. With only one bathroom it cannot be out of commission with 2 people.

TT--how exciting for you to plan your own space!

That sounds pretty cool! We have a ton of timers (3 houses), so I'm interested in how well these work. Update us after you've tried them out, if you would. Currently I'm still using mechanical ones, with all their warts. I've just been too cheap to update to electronic, but I'd definitely make the jump to the wifi if they work well.

They generally work well. I've had about six on/off smart switches and two smart dimmer switches for the last two years.
I use the Smart Life app on my Android smartphone to program them. I use them exclusively for lighting.

You can have a light go on 40 minutes before sunset and off at midnight, for example.
They automatically adjust for changing sunrise/sunset at your location and for DST.
And they automatically recover after a power outage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom