Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• AF642A12-BC3D-4FED-ABE6-AA8C3AE3B9AF.jpg
    AF642A12-BC3D-4FED-ABE6-AA8C3AE3B9AF.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 67
Bought a condo on our favorite island overlooking the ocean/reef. :blink:

Don't plan on moving in right away... but at some point if we decide that living on the boat is too much work or hopping from island to island has lost its appeal then it sounds nice to know we have an easy answer to stay connected to the ocean, snorkel only a few steps out the front door and watch sunsets from the couch.

Oh, and the free health care on island doesn't hurt... :blush:

Nice stuff guys!

Love the sink, hand blown glass?

Condo on the beach? You Rock!

I have had access to a family plan discount for all of my previous car purchases, and so have never bothered with negotiating, but given the current demand, dealers this time around said they'd only honor it if I ordered a car through them to be built. And I wasn't wanting to roll the dice on how long that might take.

That's my preferred way of buying a new car, a factory order. Two of my last three vehicles were bought that way...

I scored one brand new off craigslist few years ago. Starts with one pull every time. I use 100% pure gas in all my small engine toys.

It's probably better to use 98% gas and 2% oil in two-cycle leaf blower engines.
That's what I do...

It's probably better to use 98% gas and 2% oil in two-cycle leaf blower engines.
That's what I do...

Just, trying to understand the mixture you are talking about. A 2 cycle should have more then 2% oil, right?

pjigar, could of bought a 4 stroke which would use gas only. Teach me or correct me of the mixture on 2 or 4 stroke engines?

I thought that ratio was low too Street but then I realized both my Stihl tools and the outboard on the fishing boat are 50:1. So yeah, 2% is right. Just never looked at it that way.

Yep, they sell 2.6oz bottles of oil for a gallon of gas to get that ratio.

Just took delivery of my DJI Mavic 3 drone. I'm glad I drug my feet on the Mavic 2 Pro because the 3 has a better camera and about 50% longer battery life. I wanted to get the Fly More package plus the RC Pro controller, but they did not have the controller available for separate purchase yet, so I got the Cine package that included it for $800 more. It was raining yesterday so I took it on it's first flight in the great room. I'm going to have so much fun! BTD!

I normally buy older model smart phones, because I don't play graphic intensive games. But I decided to splurge this year on a high end 5G (top end?) RoG I gaming phone for about $1,000. The crazy thing was the storage of 500Gb... on a phone. While that sentence won't age well, it's impressive now.

I thought that ratio was low too Street but then I realized both my Stihl tools and the outboard on the fishing boat are 50:1. So yeah, 2% is right. Just never looked at it that way.

LOL! Yep, it kind of threw me a curve ball, the 2%. I just never have referred to it in that way of measurement.

Thanks for straightening me out.

Just, trying to understand the mixture you are talking about. A 2 cycle should have more then 2% oil, right?

pjigar, could of bought a 4 stroke which would use gas only. Teach me or correct me of the mixture on 2 or 4 stroke engines?
Both my Husqvarna chain saw and backpack leaf blower use the same 50:1 2-cycle mix, which I mix myself.
I've been going through a gallon a week lately, dealing with leaves at two different places...

TheWizard, you been busy if going through a gallon a week. I just never thought of it as 2% mix till KCGeeze, made me think about it. Lol

I would like to get a backpack leaf blower. I wouldn't need it much but would be very handy for a few weeks out of the year. I have a powerful electric so it comes down to need or want.

I actually blew the dough almost 2 years ago (delayed by COVID), but last night saw the Rolling Stones in a large outdoor facility along with 50,000 or so others. I'm not a huge fan but figured they are nearing the end of their touring days and I'd heard they do a great live show. I was not disappointed. It's abundantly clear how much they enjoy entertaining a crowd. Totally worth it.

Just took delivery of my DJI Mavic 3 drone. I'm glad I drug my feet on the Mavic 2 Pro because the 3 has a better camera and about 50% longer battery life. I wanted to get the Fly More package plus the RC Pro controller, but they did not have the controller available for separate purchase yet, so I got the Cine package that included it for $800 more. It was raining yesterday so I took it on it's first flight in the great room. I'm going to have so much fun! BTD!

That's a cool $5k.

Includes license for Apple ProRes, which is mainly used by pros.

I've uploaded clips to Youtube. Unfortunately they over compress anything you upload so Apple ProRes is way overkill for online streaming.

But maybe in a few months, I'll be tempted as well.

That's a cool $5k.

Includes license for Apple ProRes, which is mainly used by pros.

I've uploaded clips to Youtube. Unfortunately they over compress anything you upload so Apple ProRes is way overkill for online streaming.

But maybe in a few months, I'll be tempted as well.

I was on a photo workshop in Utah in the spring and 2 people had Mavic 2 Pros. I thought they were so cool, and got to fly a little. I knew I wanted one, but really glad that I waited. I didn't know that a better one was coming soon. Just got lucky.

Nice stuff guys!

Condo on the beach? You Rock!

Thanks!! We're Stoked!
bonaire.jpg

Ironic how back before we RE'd... we simply assumed/accepted the fact that by choosing to quit so early we were also choosing to give up on other dreams (like sailing around the Caribbean and/or even being able to buy a home here).

Now that both have happened, it's impossible not to spend time looking back at the stresses/unknowns we faced as kids without a plan... and to marvel at how we couldn't have imagined affording either back then - even WITH the salaries!

Regardless, here we are - somehow it all works out and you realize along the way that it is actually possible to RE and to still chase those dreams while you're still young enough to enjoy them!!

Now we're apparently blowing more dough by doing a full gut/rehab/reno of the place!
Always a learning experience... who knew how difficult it is to source things on a small island! :facepalm:

snip

I would like to get a backpack leaf blower. I wouldn't need it much but would be very handy for a few weeks out of the year. I have a powerful electric so it comes down to need or want.

Like you, I only need one a few weeks a year. I had a couple of electric ones, but I got tired of the hassle of extension cords. Around 10 years ago I bought a Ryobi gas powered backpack blower. It's lightweight, way more powerful than the corded ones and it has never failed to start in all these years. In fact I used it for over an hour yesterday. For the average user I highly recommend it. Yes I know...it's a Ryobi, but I think it's is more than good enough for most homeowners.

If I was going the use one more frequently then I would have gone with a Stihl.

I just got my Husqvarna backpack leaf blower a few days ago. Very powerful. Blew most of my yard clean in a couple of hours. Far more efficient than my tow behind lawn sweeper. I’ll probably use the backpack blower about 10 times a year. And sell the lawn sweeper. I’ll still use my battery powered blower for grass clippings, etc for post lawn mowing cleanup.

I just got my Husqvarna backpack leaf blower a few days ago. Very powerful. Blew most of my yard clean in a couple of hours. Far more efficient than my tow behind lawn sweeper. I’ll probably use the backpack blower about 10 times a year. And sell the lawn sweeper. I’ll still use my battery powered blower for grass clippings, etc for post lawn mowing cleanup.

Checko.
What I've been doing is, whenever one of my tools breaks, I buy a new more expensive better replacement.
(This is the BTD thread, right?)

In the past 2-3 years, I've bought a new Husqvarna 20" chain saw (replacing a dead 18" saw), a Husqvarna backpack leaf blower (replacing an el cheapo electric blower), a DeWalt SDS+ rotary hammer (replacing a Milwaukee "hammer" drill), a very nice Lowe's concrete mixer (replacing a 30-year old decrepit mixer), and a Honda self propelled walk behind mower.

At age 71 now, I'm hoping some of these tools will outlast me!

Last edited:
Bought the least expensive Apple Air Book. Received Costco email today stating along with many other items the model that I bought will be on sale tomorrow for $150 less. Hopefully they will honor the price adjustment.

The new model replaces a ten year old one I received from work for an anniversary present. The new one is so much faster, larger screen, more memory and a larger SSD.

I actually blew the dough almost 2 years ago (delayed by COVID), but last night saw the Rolling Stones in a large outdoor facility along with 50,000 or so others. I'm not a huge fan but figured they are nearing the end of their touring days and I'd heard they do a great live show. I was not disappointed. It's abundantly clear how much they enjoy entertaining a crowd. Totally worth it.

DW and I saw the Stones in concert 3 years ago, I believe. Awesome show. Would have saw them again this year, but Charlie is gone. Gone but not forgotten.

We paid $8,119 for property tax on our primary home in PA, $5,667 for our Florida condo and $6,663 for our house at the Jersey shore for 2021. We just got notified our condo fees in Florida are increasing to $3,562/quarter for 2022. Florida condo may be for sale soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom