UPS Mail Innovations

retire-early

Full time employment: Posting here.
Is UPS Mail Innovations processing different from regular UPS?
I thought that UPS Mail Innovation is UPS with handing off to USPS.

I bought a laptop battery.
The tracking shows that it was picked up by UPS Mail Innovations on March 3 from a warehouse in the same town where I live. and went to an UPS facility about 30 miles away.
The odd thing is that there is a major UPS facility in the same town where I live. I get most of my UPS from there.

Today the package went to another UPS facility that is 85 miles away from my town.

Do UPS Mail Innovation packages get sorted differently?

The route this package has taken is puzzling.

Last edited:
Often it means that it will get passed to USPS for the last mile-- unless UPS is coming anyway to your home that day

UPS Mail Innovation allows UPS to carry the package long distance and then hand it off to the post office to handle the final delivery. Not sure why your package is taking such an odd route though.

Last year I could have sworn but I don't have the tracking data anymore.
That package:
warehouse in my town ---> UPS in my town ---> USPS ---> home
took 3 days

Gotta be better than USPS Priority Mail.
Envelope accepted 2/18, Sioux Falls.
Heading to address near Ft. Myers. Delivery expected in 4 days.
made it to Ft. Myers regional dist. center 2/27.
Then to a post office in LaBelle, FL on 2/28.
Today, it's in a USPS facility near Tampa.
Tracking says "in transit". What a joke.
And this is who the IRS uses:confused:??
** Rant over ***

Gotta be better than USPS Priority Mail.
Envelope accepted 2/18, Sioux Falls.
Heading to address near Ft. Myers. Delivery expected in 4 days.
made it to Ft. Myers regional dist. center 2/27.
Then to a post office in LaBelle, FL on 2/28.
Today, it's in a USPS facility near Tampa.
Tracking says "in transit". What a joke.
And this is who the IRS uses:confused:??
** Rant over ***

It is taking about 7-10 calendar days for the first class packages I mail.

Apparently UPS Mail Innovations is not regular UPS.
https://www.reddit.com/r/UPS/comments/hlkzwl/package_has_not_moved_in_over_a_week/

Never made any sense to me, UPS drops the package off at USPS even though UPS makes daily deliveries in my neighborhood, all it does is add an extra day to the delivery.

Never made any sense to me, UPS drops the package off at USPS even though UPS makes daily deliveries in my neighborhood, all it does is add an extra day to the delivery.

It used to be many years ago that UPS did not deliver to residences.
I think they still ask now whether you are shipping to a residential or business address.

Interestingly enough there is no tracking information for this package beyond that it left the UPS facility that is 85 miles away at 12:14pm even though it now eleven hours later.

Load factors?

Seems like most of these packages are small. It would just be another trip to the door to slow down the UPS driver?

Last edited:
I just hope last mile USPS delivery is better than their Longer distance delivery. In the Pet Peeve thread I chronicled the delay an order I had coming from Indiana to Panama City Fl. It was in the first Indiana facility on Jan. 9th I didn't get it until Jan 28th (a Sunday delivery). They blamed the weather, but how long was the weather bad?
The highlight of the journey, it went from Shreveport La. to Pensacola, it was in the Pensacola facility less then 2 hours!!

It's all economics. It is cheaper for UPS to hand off 300 small packages to USPS rather than have them on their trucks for delivery - SOME times. And this arrangement lets them make that decision. It's not all about "well they are here anyway" because every stop and package has an incremental cost. And UPS is all about managing every minute. You've probably heard they also have routing software to avoid left turns on routes where possible.

So, it's never about "this one package" but within their network, they know if they take these slightly cheaper packages but hand them off for the local delivery, they still get enough margin, especially when the end point delivery is more rural or spread out.

The seller gets a cheaper rate, which they sometimes pass on to the buyer. And the seller usually sells you a delivery date/speed, not a carrier. Even if their site says... "UPS arrives 3/6" as long as it's there by 3/6 it could be carrier pigeon.

(I won't get into the USPS issues, I'm hoping they are temporary. They've gone from 99% on time to 90% in the last 7-8 months...different problem entirely)

In our local UPS office if I have a "regular" UPS delivery the same day as a UPS/USPS package they deliver both packages directly to my house.

I am happy to report that package is being delivered today 03/06/2021.
Not sure why the package did not go to UPS facility in the same town as the warehouse which also happens to be the town where I live.
Also not sure why UPS facility #2 was involved.

Code:
03/03/2021  6:45 P.M.	Shipment tendered to UPS Mail Innovations
03/03/2021  8:01 P.M.	Package received for processing UPS Facility #1 (35 miles north of my home)
03/03/2021 10:06 P.M.	Package processed
03/03/2021 11:16 P.M.	Departed UPS Facility
03/04/2021  5:28 A.M.	Arrived at UPS Facility #2 (85 miles south of my home)
03/04/2021 12:14 P.M.	Depature Scan: Enroute to USPS
03/05/2021  8:25 P.M.	Shipment Delivered to USPS, Package Acceptance Pending
03/06/2021  3:59 A.M.	Arrived at Post Office
03/06/2021  6:10 A.M.	Out for Delivery

^^ Bizarre indeed, but I am sure they have their reasons...

Back
Top Bottom