Steps to Trade on Foreign Exchanges

sengsational

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Is it feasible for a US person to trade on exchanges outside the US?

I was wondering specifically about EURONEXT Paris because I wanted to place a small bet. But of course if it's too much of a pain, I'd abandon the idea.

Is it feasible for a US person to trade on exchanges outside the US?

I was wondering specifically about EURONEXT Paris because I wanted to place a small bet. But of course if it's too much of a pain, I'd abandon the idea.

I’m not aware of any US law that bars you from having an account with a broker in another country. The local laws and regulations would determine your eligibility along with any requirements, such as a local bank account.

My guess is this would be more difficult than opening a domestic brokerage account, and fees are likely to be higher.

Some years ago I did a good bit of trading on foreign exchanges in my Fidelity account. They handle it easily.

Thanks, all. Who knew it would be that easy. I clicked the link "sign-up for international stock trading" from one of the links above, and I was off to the races! $19 buck trades, but I don't expect to be in and out of things, just an interesting side-bet that I might make. Still need to find and read the financials. Hopefully they have a version in English.

No Automated Trading in IRA

I knew it couldn't be that easy, hehehe!

When I went in and signed up for international stock trading, I thought it was legit for all accounts, but I noticed the only "eligible" accounts were the taxable account, and the HSA. Then later, when I called the international trading desk, the guy said "I don't know why the programmers included HSA type accounts...that won't work". So basically I was down to my after tax account (which has a grand total of $6.65, hehe!).

But if I wanted to trade internationals in my Roth, he said he could give me estimates of prices now, or I could call back when both the US and European markets were open, and I could buy the individual stock.

Lots of fees. Currency exchange fee seemed like a rip off at 1%. Then there are taxes of 0.3%, and the 19 euro commission. Seemed like there were more fees too (I wasn't taking notes). For my situation, I'd be making a long-term "bet" on what I think might be a promising company. It could go way up, or go bust, so it would be a tiny position in relation to my overall portfolio.

Back
Top Bottom