PayPal stock PYPL

MichealKnight

Full time employment: Posting here.
I'm always chiding myself for being a fuddy-duddy. Personally - I really loathe texting, smartphones, streaming - (lol I still love DVDs) and even in investing - I've accepted that the digital takeover of everything is real - I just resent the heck out of it. So I've been, and still am - more of a Coca Cola, Pepsi, McDonalds, Ford kinda guy on investing. So after the father son chat with myself - I added some funds that invest in the 'high tech' stuff. I even did some Tesla...after all, it's business. not personal. I was about to buy a huge slug of PayPal and didn't. I just had a feeling that the Chipotle crowd would move on to something new and lately the stock has plummted with worries of 'buy now pay later" being the craze. (yeah, America needs more of that right?)

But every time I've seen interviews with the CEO -I came away thinking these are smart people, into their business.

Any opinions on PYPL? Anyone holding or buying? I"m starting to get tempted at this level. Thanks

I don't see much future growth potential for PayPal since ebay kicked them to the curb. No plans to buy PYPL.

Own it and looking to add. Venmo hookup with Amazon is huge news. ebay relationship is just 4 pct of revenue.

I expect it to consolidate here but will do well for the long-term I expect.

I don't see much future growth potential for PayPal since ebay kicked them to the curb.

Then you've missed the forest through the trees.

Venmo is what all the kids use.

They've only just been begun getting in to crypto.

Plenty of future growth.

^
Yeah it would be like dumping FB without looking at how Instagram is doing.

I like PayPal quite a bit. I've used them for at least two decades as my card processor for a small sideline business I own. They really make it easy (and secure) to accept cards, set up secure payment links on your website, create easy order flow from order to invoice to payment, and offer a lot of back-end reporting and analytics.

As a consumer, I started using them a few years back when more and more websites I was ordering from offered PayPal as a payment option. Clicking that meant instead of finding my wallet, grabbing a card, inputting the 16-digit account number, expiration, the CVV, my name, and may Zip Code, the site would take me directly to PayPal where a simple thumb print scan would log me in, and I just confirm the payment. As a not-so-insignificant bonus, my card info is only on the PayPal site, not on dozens or even hundreds of websites that I buy from. I've grown to love it as a consumer!

As an investor, I love it as well! I first bought into PYPL five years ago when it was $40, so it's been a 5x return for me (and it was nearly 8x back in July!). The past three months haven't been good - the ill-fated move to acquire Pintrest and some weak forward guidance certainly didn't help. They're also being seen as a pandemic play, which I think is short-sighted.

There may not be much of a move up until the next earnings call, assuming positive numbers. I've bought in a few more times over the years, and bought another traunch at $185. Not at all saying it won't go lower, although we've had a nice pop over the past few days.

If you value PYPL as a bank, then it's still wildly overvalued. But if you value it as a FinTech, it seem undervalued. Oh, and they actually have earnings, unlike most FinTechs!

I think their core business is strong, and they have top-tier brand recognition. They're branched in to Crypto, which could be big, as well as BuyNowPayLater. They've even discussed getting into the discount brokerage business.

My money (literally) is on them outperforming the S&P 500, at least for the next few years.

As the past few days.

I think their core business is strong, and they have top-tier brand recognition. They're branched in to Crypto, which could be big, as well as BuyNowPayLater. They've even discussed getting into the discount brokerage business.

My money (literally) is on them outperforming the S&P 500, at least for the next few years.

Every time I hear a successful company say they are going to branch out and become all things to all people, I get a bad feeling about their future. But what do I know?

Some big names have tried this over the years and failed miserably.

I bought PYPL back in early 2021. Rode it up and sold approx half at 30% range profit. The remaining has been a downward trend since. More good luck on the sell timing than anything. Holding for now as I think it will get back. It's a good way to participate in the fintech sector which is only becoming more important.
I also use PYPL to accept payments for my small side business. I sell international and (mostly) US. Works great for currency conversion. Yes the fees are not the best but are within normal business percentages.

Back
Top Bottom