This weather is awful - 2022 to ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumby

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
New thread, same story.

Weather is marvelous here in South Florida. A bit warmer than normal for winter but perfect for the beach and lunch on a patio.

Still mid 80's here in south Texas, but a cold front is due here tomorrow morning. We expect 15 - 20 MPH winds and 32 F here.

Similar here in Central Texas. 80.6 F peak temperature (neighborhood sensor) today. Low forecast tonight of 26 F with 22 mph winds (Edit: now saying 20-30 mph winds, higher wind gusts possible). Wind Chill Index of 11.5 F @ 26 F/22 mph winds.

Last edited:
Okay dropping down to a high of 68 on Monday.
This past December was warmer than November.

Weather is a little rough in northern Illinois today. Went for a hike and encountered these 2.

Attachments

• bison 01012022_.jpg
    bison 01012022_.jpg
    766.1 KB · Views: 70
We have had a gale warning for Lake Ponchartrain all day long. We live 4 short city blocks south of the lake, so we decided not to go anywhere today, for sure. We aren't getting any younger so why risk driving around for no reason, and maybe getting blown into a drainage canal. There is also a wind advisory in effect.

I heard that it was windy in Texas, and in Florida. But really, it hasn't been that windy here in SE Louisiana! And every time I look at the forecast, they keep moving back the time frames for these events, later and later. Now they are expected to begin at 6 AM tomorrow.

Pardon me if I'm skeptical... :LOL:

That's OK. I had some things to get done around the house anyway. High today was 82, with brief light showers earlier.

50+ degree (f) drop expected here tonight down into the 20's... I hope this isn't a sign of things to come "this year" like what we got here in Texas back in Feb 2021.

Last edited:
50+ degree (f) drop expected here tonight... I hope this isn't a sign of things to come "this year" like what we got here in Texas back in Feb 2021.
BRRRR!!!

6978-albums71-picture1763.gif

Thanks for posting about the temperature drop! I just checked and our low temperature, which was 75F last night, is expected to drop to 62F tonight and then (much to my surprise) down to 37F tomorrow night! Wow!!!

BRRRR!!!

6978-albums71-picture1763.gif

Thanks for posting about the temperature drop! I just checked and our low temperature, which was 75F last night, is expected to drop to 62F tonight and then (much to my surprise) down to 37F tomorrow night! Wow!!!
37.... That's getting pretty cool for you guys.

I should have known better... But my family flew up to Fairbanks, AK for Christmas and New Year's, primarily to give us an opportunity to finally get a great view of the aurora, plus some other touristy things we've been wanting to do up here. Alas, we show up on Christmas to a massive snowstorm that dropped about 2 feet of snow, then it warmed up & started pouring over an inch of rain, then temps dropped to nearly zero. The following days continued to dump another foot+ of snow.

Result: absolute ice rink. Our rental car was cancelled, can't get anything else, taxis & Uber/Lyft aren't running, businesses are all closed, tour companies are cancelling everything left and right. So we're literally trapped in our hotel room. I trudge through the snow to a grocery store to at least feed my family with microwavable junk. And in the interim, our very-energetic young kids have worn on our patience, and we've survived by teaching them every board game at the front desk & every card game we can imagine.

It's finally stopped snowing the last couple days, and the plows are finally catching up, so we were able to get a Lyft into downtown to let the older boys burn energy at a children's museum. BTW, it's now -15*F outside.

Quite frankly, this entire trip has been a total bust. Basically EVERYTHING we planned for has been repeatedly cancelled & it's just been incredibly frustrating. Root cause: THIS AWFUL WEATHER!

50+ degree (f) drop expected here tonight down into the 20's... I hope this isn't a sign of things to come "this year" like what we got here in Texas back in Feb 2021.
Thankfully, the only thing making it less extreme this time compared to February 2021 is there was snow on the ground last year, that partially melted, then froze over into a thick layer of ice. We found out, until too late, that we had a water line to a master bathroom vanity on an outside wall that can froze over under those circumstances. So far, the water is running this morning.

We were 81 F in our neighborhood yesterday. Right now (6:45am), it's 22 F with wind gusts in the low 20s mph. Almost a 60 F drop. We won't get back to 32 F until after 10am, and the high today will be 45 F.

I agree. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come later this Winter, which we're not even two weeks into. Last year in early January 2021 we had about 6 inches of snow. That's about 12 years worth of snow in one day. It melted quickly, and the temperatures warmed back up a bit soon after. At the time, we thought *that* was going to be our extreme weather for the Winter.

Last edited:
Low today 17 degrees here in Western NY. The snow is beautiful (until it’s time to shovel, then it’s not so pretty).

Weather is a little rough in northern Illinois today. Went for a hike and encountered these 2.

Beautiful picture Ronstar> The bison face the storm head on. While most wildlife big game put their backs to the storm the Tatanka face the storm and wind head on.

Last edited:
Thankfully, the only thing making it less extreme this time compared to February 2021 is there was snow on the ground last year, that partially melted, then froze over into a thick layer of ice. We found out, until too late, that we had a water line to a master bathroom vanity on an outside wall that can froze over under those circumstances. So far, the water is running this morning.

We were 81 F in our neighborhood yesterday. Right now (6:45am), it's 22 F with wind gusts in the low 20s mph. Almost a 60 F drop. We won't get back to 32 F until after 10am, and the high today will be 45 F.

I agree. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come later this Winter, which we're not even two weeks into. Last year in early January 2021 we had about 6 inches of snow. That's about 12 years worth of snow in one day. It melted quickly, and the temperatures warmed back up a bit soon after. At the time, we thought *that* was going to be our extreme weather for the Winter.

The snow certainly made it much worse last February but it was the 0 degrees (f) that caused the problems for us in this part of east/central Texas. We see temps in the 20's every year and occasionally it will get into the mid teens and we have never had any serious problems...

Last year it got down to zero and stayed there, or slightly above, for a day or more. Add the widespread power outages and that was just to much for the way homes are built around here... Lot's of frozen water pipes and even some sewer lines froze up in our area.

It's only 26 here this morning and no issues. However, tonight it is forecast to be colder (lower 20's) but only for a few hours so I'll probably let the water drip before I go to bed. That seems to work for us as long as it doesn't get a lot colder or stay there for an extended period of time. YMMV

Last edited:
Minus 10F here this morning but the snow stopped at least for a few days. Supposed to warm up next week to freezing. Hopefully not too warm so it melts all the beautiful snow.

When I left the puppies out this morning the 11 month old shih tzu stopped moving. First I thought she'd frozen to the ground but she wasn't frozen. She'd laid down on the snow holding her paws up inside her fur. I think the dog would have laid down to die ten feet outside the door.

31 below right now here at the end of the road in MN, up from 33 below an hour ago. I saw it was 40 below in a lower elevation a few miles away.

30 miles north of Mexico in the Chiricahua foothills weather report. This week 2.5 inches of rain, winds gusting to 50 mph currently 21 degrees, and moving east. First hummer at the feeder i took out a half an hour ago, trying to keep the little guys fueled up. I have another feeder ready to go if the one outside freezes up.

To answer the question"what are you listening to" the furnace.

Last edited:
We are about 3 above already in the early morning of what will be a beautiful day.

Wow, I can't even imagine how cold today's weather must seem in some northern areas, like where QsLaptop lives!

The big cold front is rapidly approaching, and our temperatures here in New Orleans dropped 5 degrees in the past half hour, down to 67F. They are supposed to keep dropping fast until we get down into the mid 30's. Also the winds are gusting up to 30 mph.

We plan to stay at home all day, safe and warm. Now that we are retired, we can do that!

:dance: :popcorn::greetings10:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom