Gave notice on Tuesday!

disneysteve

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I posted about this in the Class of 2022 thread but I'm sure not everyone reads that.

I met with my lead physician on Tuesday for our usual monthly one on one. In the course of talking about staffing, she mentioned that they are actively hiring some new per diem providers. That gave me the perfect transition to shift the conversation and let her know that I was ready to move to per diem myself. She wasn't surprised as I've hinted at it several times so she knew it was coming at some point. She said just let her know when, and I said now.

I had to give written notice so that evening I sent an email to her and the medical director. So it's official! Our contracts require 120 days notice which takes me to August 10. It will likely be August 6 which is the last day of the pay period. They can let me out of the contract earlier but I don't expect that.

So as of August 10 or sooner, I'll be per diem. No more scheduled or required work hours. I do plan to continue doing 4 or 8 hours per week on average to keep active and up to date on things, bring in some money, and be able to continue contributing to the 401k at least to get the full company match. And if I find that we truly don't need that income, then I'll cut back more or stop entirely. It's great to have the option to gradually phase out like this.

congratulations Steve!
Can you get a little help with the medical while doing a per diem?

Congrats and Thanks continuing to care for people during Covid. Unfortunately I'm sure this made your last full time years memorable for all the wrong reasons.

congratulations Steve!
Can you get a little help with the medical while doing a per diem?
Unfortunately not. The only benefit for per diems is access to the 401k. We'll be on our own for medical which will run us about $1,100/mo this year. COBRA would be closer to $2,000 so that's out.

The good thing is per diems are paid well. Working 4 hrs/wk I can make at least 25K/yr, double that for 8 hrs/wk. I don't think I'll mind doing a couple of short shifts that I choose and bringing in 50K/yr.

Congrats and Thanks continuing to care for people during Covid. Unfortunately I'm sure this made your last full time years memorable for all the wrong reasons.
Yeah the last 2 years were the most difficult of my career by far. Had they not happened, I might not have been at least a little less eager to get out.

COBRA would be closer to $2,000 so that's out.

Don't forget since you'll be transitioning in August, that if you change plans to the ACA any deductible will reset to zero. Vs. if you stay on your current/cobra, any costs to date still count. Depending on whether you and your family have any medical expenses, it might still work out cheaper vs. the premium difference, or close enough not to be worth the bother, at least to ride out 2022.

Oh, and grats!

Congratulations! Well done.

That is great!

Don't forget since you'll be transitioning in August, that if you change plans to the ACA any deductible will reset to zero. Vs. if you stay on your current/cobra, any costs to date still count.
Great point. I don't think that will apply for us but I'll double check. Thanks for mentioning that.

Congrats! It's nice to see another colleague make it to the finish line.

Congratulations! What a great feeling it will be to only work a few shifts that you can choose.

Congratulations, having the per diem work option is great. That income can help offset the pain of the medical insurance costs.

Congrats Steve. I have enjoyed reading your posts and look forward to how you transition. I just retired 6 weeks ago and having a blast enjoying life as it comes.

Congratulations! [emoji122] [emoji322] [emoji3060]
I will be interested to hear how you like the 4-8 hours/week of how long it lasts. [emoji12]
But the real question is when are you going to Disneyland to celebrate?

Congrats and I appreciate your medical posts.

Congratulations!

Back
Top Bottom