Soc Sec Notice of Award Detail Error?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I think the bottom line is right, but the details don't add up. They show my gross retirement benefit, subtract Medicare Part B+IRMAA Part B and the sub-total is correct. They then deduct 50¢ to round down to the nearest full dollar (I didn't know about that, but OK). Then a new subtotal that is not just 50¢ less - huh :confused:. However, if I subtract IRMAA Part D (not shown or mentioned on the Notice of Award), that bottom line IS correct to the penny. Funny thing is that's not a whole dollar amount. :facepalm:

So I think it's right, but I don't want to find out they continue to separately bill me for IRMAA Part D, when it appears it's already been taken out of my Soc Sec retirement benefit.

I've never dealt directly with SSA, so I am not sure if I need to bother them with an online appeal or office visit. Leave well enough alone or make sure "i's are dotted and t's crossed" with SSA?

I also dropped a W-4V off at the local SSA office, that's not shown but hopefully it will eventually (an updated notice of award?).

Last edited:
I've noticed both things (weirdness with the "cents" and weirdness with IRMAA Part D not even being listed) with my Dad's SS statements.

There are explanations out there for the "cents" rounding - I think it happens at multiple places in the calculation.

I don't know why they can't get the Part D premium stuff explained more clearly. If you've been paying it directly before and it now is coming out of your SS check, I've read many reports that they will eventually straighten it out and you won't overpay but it could take months for the transition to work out.

For my Dad, the amount that is deposited monthly into his bank account does match the letter, and the 1099-SSA at the end of the year also appears to be accurate. My Dad doesn't have withholding from SS, so I can't comment on that.

Don't know anything about the W-4V except that people use it, you're not the first, and SS will probably get it right.

?

SS was a real mystery when I first started it. I tried to get the nice lady at the SS office to explain stuff to me but she used their jargon two or three times. I eventually gave up and just assumed she was correct. It all sounded "about" right.

I'm sure others are more knowledgeable, but DW has claimed SS and her part B AND part D are deducted from her award (without any request from us). So I think all is OK with your payments.

Last edited:
OP mentioned eventual tax withholding from his SS benefit.
Note that while 85% of your GROSS SS benefit is subject to income tax, they apply your selected withholding percentage to your NET benefit after Medicare and IRMAA are subtracted...

Back
Top Bottom