Anyone for San Miguel ?

renferme

Recycles dryer sheets
Have been hearing good things (latest from AARP magazine) about San Miguel Mexico. Like - inexpensive housing, safe environment, friendly people, great weather year round, and lots of ex-pats living there. Anyone know anything about the area? anyone ever visit there ?
I've been trying to get the wife to go there for a vacation, but it's not going well. Best I can do so far, is get her to vacation in Tuscany. She got this 'thing' about Italy.
Ray

Check out John Howell's book on how to retire in Mexico. The guy has lived all over Central America for the past 20 years, so he knows what he's talking about.

I visited Sam Miguel de Allende many times when I was much younger. Beautiful colonial style mountain town, lots of American and Europeans. Very little Spanish language skills needed. Near perfect weather ...

However, the costs of real estate have risen sky high since then. Homes are as pricey as many places in the U.S. The place is too expensive for almost all Mexican nationals.

There are other fine old silver mining towns with as many features but much cheaper cost of living in the area. I would suggest using San Miguel as a base of exploration to other towns like Guanajato or quaint nearby villages offering better value and less intrusion of American culture.

A fun way to get there is the overnight train ride from Laredo on the Texas - Mexico border... Be sure to take a litre of the finest Tequila with you and have a party in your compartment.

Yee Haw!

Hello Ol__Rancher! If it was just the 2 of us to think about,. we'd be planning a trip to Mexico right now I am sure. Alas, too many entanglements here. Plus, as I get older, moving outside of the "friendly confines"
becomes more problematic. You can't do everything
no matter how much time/money you have. Just
accept it.

John Galt

John Galt,
I personally would not live in Mexico. When I was younger it seemed like a way to RE if only I could reach the reduced amount to FI. Now that I have, the prospect of living where the medical community leaves a lot to be desired (compared to what is available here) is a concern.
After nearly a dozen trips throughout Mexico (teacher summer vacations) I began to tire of the defensive posture one must take to safeguard one's property. I also noted the hassle of dealing with anything that needed bureaucratic service, and the hidden tax of mordida (bribe/tip) needed to get anything done in a timely manner. There are numerous trade-offs living in Mexico or Central America beyond the needed language skills that are often not apparent to casual traveler. I would never live in a compound of all American expats anywhere in the world... Living south of the border is not for everyone.

Check out John Howell's book on how to retire in Mexico. The guy has lived all over Central America for the past 20 years, so he knows what he's talking about.

Sorry, that would be John Howells, not Howell. Notice the added "s" at the end.

BTW, he has also written books on Costa Rica, the Southwest, and the Pacific Northwest. His tone on each place is upbeat, but he's also truthful about the pluses and minuses of each place.

San Miguel..................heck, I though you meant the BEER! I just about lived on that stuff while in the Navy! 8)

I just heard something that reconfirmed OlRancher's
observations about ER south of the border. Guy on the
radio was talking about visits there and how things
can double and triple in price by the time the bribes
are paid. Plus, the bureacracy and red tape can make
life a nightmare. It was not a pretty picture and if true
makes me glad I spent little time checking out Mexico
and Central America.

John Galt

John

Check out Paul Terhorst's post on getting a visa to visit Paraguay from Argentina. Doesn't say bribes but his adventure would be 'my hassle' - I think I'm not as 'flexible' in my old age.

Hi Unclemick. Yep, know what you mean. I am quite
hassle-averse and getting more so all the time.
Reminds me of a twist on an old joke. I'd rather spend my money than waste my time, and I am quite fond of my money :)

John Galt

Back
Top Bottom