Living outside the US

Rollie

Dryer sheet wannabe
Any experience on living outside the US in retirment? Will be retiring at 55 in 4 years and plan to try living in Central American for 3-4 months at a time then returning to the States. If this goes well will branch out to other parts of the world. Anyone doing this now? Thanks for the feedback.
Rollie

Do a search. The topic has come up in the past and there were a lot of good postings. I expect to spend time overseas when I retire so I always pay attention to the topic. First stop for me would be the South pacific (visited there 3 times) but Central America and most of the rest of the world (ROTW?) could be interesting.

Rollie said:
Any experience on living outside the US in retirment?  Will be retiring at 55 in 4 years and plan to try living in Central American for 3-4 months at a time then returning to the States.  If this goes well will branch out to other parts of the world.  Anyone doing this now?  Thanks for the feedback.
Rollie

I'm not doing it but I would like to.

You can live well in Costa Rica or Panama for about $2000 per month. Less if you sit home but thats probably not what you want to do. Back to the US figure $3000 a month.
Assuming you are renting wherever you live and have a reasonable medical plan.

So if at 55 you can put together about 800K all total you will be able to do it.

Yeah, I've always figured $1000 a month in Costa Rica for 1, $1500 for a couple. I'm living part time in C.R. and part time in Canada now with a longer and longer stretch each year in C.R.

You might want to check out a few articles on my website about moving to Costa Rica:
I also have general travel Guatemala and Costa Rica pages with articles and photos from my extensive travels in both places.

Back
Top Bottom