Too good to be true?

Mr._johngalt

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Picked up my mail today, and what to my wondering eyes should appear? ..................seems the local credit union is having a 70th
anniversary. To celebrate, they are offering 7% APR for 70 days
with a minimum deposit of $7,000. I have not seen anything like this.
I have 100K I could dump in there and pick up $200 extra interest over the 70
days. What would you do?

JG

Patrick said:
What's the APR on day 71?  Is there a minimum time you have to leave the money in the account?  :confused:

Re. question no. one................don't know and don't care. Figure I will
just move the money.

Re. question no. 2...................Their lit. says "early" account closing fee
is $20.00. Not sure if it applies but clearly not a deal breaker.

I also found 3.75% (vs. the 3.5% I am getting now). I was holding out for
4% before this CU deal appeared.

JG

Is early prior to 70 days or is it something longer??

I'm honestly ignorant as to how APR differs from just regulat interest rate, but assuming they're the same, the only thing good about a 7% interest rate would be to get that, not pay it. The current prime interest rate is 6.5%, so my understanding is loans tend to be slightly above prime, so that actually sounds about right.

I'm an aggressive enough investor to use the stock market heavily, but i draw the line at margin investing with the interest rate even resembles something that's high. I currently have both a car and student loan that i could pay off if i wanted to, but both are well below 4%.

azanon said:
I'm honestly ignorant as to how APR differs from just regulat interest rate, but assuming they're the same, the only thing good about a 7% interest rate would be to get that, not pay it.  The current prime interest rate is 6.5%, so my understanding is loans tend to be slightly above prime, so that actually sounds about right.

I'm an aggressive enough investor to use the stock market heavily, but i draw the line at margin investing with the interest rate even resembles something that's high.   I currently have both a car and student loan that i could pay off if i wanted to, but both are well below 4%.

:-\ He's talking about getting it on a deposit.

I am assuming that this is your 100k credit card balance transfer wad.  :)

With $100k in balance transfer money, your credit utilization must be fairly high.... how many points has this dinged your FICO?

The interest gained will cover that electric bill for the condo in Texas, and a nice dinner out. :)

Decided not to do it. It's a lot of money involved and right now it is FDIC
insured. The extra interest for 70 days just didn't seem worth it.
I am looking for a liquid 4% (yes I know some on-line banks
are offering this rate).

JG

Back
Top Bottom