Expiration dates

Sr. Senor Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny said:
Beer: 4 months if unopened.
These people have never been to sea with the military's logistics system.

BTW next time you're at my house and I offer you a beer, it's probably better if you decline!

Oh you and my dad. I went shopping with him four years ago and bought a six pack, drank two of them and stuck the rest in the back of his fridge. I was there last week and looked in the fridge and the four beers were still there in the bottom in the back :p

I saw an article a while back where they took food WAY past its expiration date and checked it for flavor and nutrition. The results were a little surprising. Oatmeal that was stored properly but 20 years old (or something like that) still tasted ok. I'll see if I can find that.

I was a little surprised at some of the expirations (although I'd imagine they're largely flavor/quality related than 'badness'/kill you sort of expired. Olives were 3 months? Rubbing alcohol 'expires' after 3 years??

I did experience lotion going bad. Bought several bottles when I bought the mcmansion and put one in each bathroom. The one in the little used downstairs bath was still there when I moved 7 years later.

I opened the bottle and sniffed.

Dont ever do that.

I found out this morning first hand that peanut butter starts tasting funny when it is 1 year past its expiration date.

I suspect that I REALLY don't want to know why you felt the need for "lotion" in every bathroom...

Hey, he's a sensitive man in touch with himself.

I knew that was going to draw some fire while i was in the middle of typing it.

Its very, very dry in californias central valley. Severely dry skin can be a major problem for a lot of people, especially in the summer time when its over 100 almost every day and the humidity runs in the neighborhood of zero.

brewer, that's quite a response to CFB's statement. Apparently you aren't too concerned about rubbing him the wrong way.

CFB, stop while you can. Once you let the lotion comment slip there is no way you can get a grip on the situation. (And don't even think about asking someone to give you a hand...)

Oh you and my dad.  I went shopping with him four years ago and bought a six pack, drank two of them and stuck the rest in the back of his fridge.  I was there last week and looked in the fridge and the four beers were still there in the bottom in the back :p
Yeah, send him & his beer over here and I'll trade him for Coronas. According to my spouse, he and I are the only people in the world who haven't heard each other's sea stories...

thanks for the article. I'll have to check the pickles in my house to see if they are slippery. I'll update.

This article seems extreme, but what do I know. I will admit once to cleaning out a cabinet under the sink in the bathroom. I found a bottle of pepto bismol ten years over the expiration date. Reminder to self: clean more often.

Nords said:
Yeah, send him & his beer over here and I'll trade him for Coronas. According to my spouse, he and I are the only people in the world who haven't heard each other's sea stories...

Uhh...you dont want to start my dad talking about anything. Especially the navy. He makes Abe Simpsons stories look brief and to the point ;) :LOL:

Beer sits around our house forever, too.

Make sure you throw your pickles away if they are slippery?? That's funny stuff. And lip balm can last 5 years? Not around here - my dog will eat it long before that.

I asked my husband the other day if the eggs were good. He said, of course. The date on them was 4 months ago. He would have used them if it was up to him. I made him go buy new ones.

Eggs are easy. Put them in a bowl of water. If they sit on the bottom, they're good. If they tip or worse, float...bad, bad eggs.

Yep, egg shells are porous, and over time the egg loses moisture through the shell at the same time it absorbs air. About the time the egg 'tips up' when put in water, its nearing its end.

However, I wouldnt even test a four week old egg, let alone a four month old one :p

Eggs are easy.  Put them in a bowl of water.  If they sit on the bottom, they're good.  If they tip or worse, float...bad, bad eggs.
This experiment works best at room temperature, not when stored in the Torpedo Room bilge at 38 degrees F for two months...

I've seen lettuce make it for six weeks under those conditions.

Even today I can't look at three-bean salad, let alone eat it.

The next Big Big thing...

The last couple of cartons of eggs that I have purchased have the expiration date stamped on the eggs. Not on the carton but on the eggs themselves. This modern technology is amazing isn't it ?

- What will they think of next ?

MasterBlaster said:
The last couple of cartons of eggs that I have purchased have the expiration date stamped on the eggs. Not on the carton but on the eggs themselves. This modern technology is amazing isn't it ?
I'd hate to have to explain the trial&error testing on that printing press. To say nothing of the cleanup.

In the supermarket last night, looking at canned tuna -- some cans said "Best by Sep 2010".  Maybe this is why the Secretary of DHHS recently encouraged us to stockpile tuna cans in case of avian flu.

We get the expiration date and the name of the farm spritzed on them here, at least Egglands Best gives you a nice "EB" and the date.

Yep, if you freeze the eggs, that trick no longer works.

Mmmm...three bean salad...now I know whats for dinner.

I think I'd avoid any food product stored in any area with the word "Bilge" used in the description.

I think I'd avoid any food product stored in any area with the word "Bilge" used in the description.
That's wise advice that we'll follow for the rest of our lives...

Back
Top Bottom