Don't know what to do

Well, I'm officially retired, I haven't told anyone other than my DW which she felt I didn't have a choice. The reason for not telling anyone is that.......well........ I’m actually embarrassed about what I've chosen to do. As odd as that may sound, another reason may be that I'm not prepared for the question that I’m sure will come up such as...

- How are you going to live money wise.........don't know right now.
-Why have you decided to retire.......................don't really want to get into that
-I though you had a great job........................not going to tell them the whole story
-But you were so busy..................................yaw........and had not life.
-What are you going to do now......................when I figure it out; my family will be the first to know

Well, I think you got the point.

I've made many drastic changes in my life, such as going from white collar right out of college, to blue collar (whole different trade) since the money was better, to now learning how to cook and do laundry which is all new to me. But the hardest off all will be to learn the world of investing and scariest since it's with our life's savings I’m going to be practicing with.

At this point, all I can do is hope and pray that I don't let my family down which is my greatest fear. Once I've got some sort of balance and hopefully got the most of our portfolio, I can then be proud to say........................Hey........I'm retired, and have the answers to the questions that will inevitably come up. As my DW always tells me.........Your glass is half full!

Wish me luck.
My Dream

MD, you'll do great. Just take the investing thing slow, read up, and ask a lot of questions. On the cooking front, you may inally discover what people were doing in all those kitchens you installed! I love to cook and not having the time at the monet is one of the things that detracts from quality of life for me. Maybe you will find a new joy in life...

As for all the hypothetical questions, how about just telling people who ask that you are taking a sabbatical?

albundyz said:
...3. This kinda goes with #2, but the experts will tell you that you should not burn more than 4% of your savings per year. But what would be the harm in taking some extra the first year or two? You're suffering from burn out. You need to get healthy, so if you took 6% instead of 4% for a year or two, I wouldn't worry about it. If after 2 years of retirement, you could re-evaluate your financial situation and make changes if you like, but right now, it's important that you chill out for a while, get healthy, I don't know if it will take 1-2-3 years, but I guarantee that after a period of time, you'll be a different person and you'll look at your situation differently and look at the world and your future in a much more positive light...
In 1995, I left my wife and moved to the west coast to rediscover myself. Lived off savings for 2 years, then went back to a different kind of work in 1997 here. I have never regretted that move even though it was expensive.

Having yourself altogether is much more important than just having your finances altogether.

MyDream,

Congratulation and Wishing the best.

We have some similarities but I don't have the gut to hang it up yet, just five more years.

Mach1

Rich_in_Tampa

So, share with us the positive side of being FREE!

At the moment I have so many mixed emotions since my plan was to retire 3.5 years from now. If I take a moment right not to think about it, I'd say,

-not having to wake up at 5:15 am every weekday.
-the stress level and work load has been reduced by about 90%.
-being able to rediscover my life since cashing in my get of jail card.
-above all, spending a tremendous amount of time with my DW and kids.....Priceless!

brewer12345

MD, you'll do great. Just take the investing thing slow, read up, and ask a lot of questions.

You'll all be sorry brewer12345 suggested that.

As for all the hypothetical questions, how about just telling people who ask that you are taking a sabbatical?

Thanks for that suggestion...........I going to use it.

I will keep you all posted.

My Dream said:
MD, you'll do great. Just take the investing thing slow, read up, and ask a lot of questions.

You'll all be sorry brewer12345 suggested that.

Heh, not really. Knowitalls wither if someone doesn;t ask questions on a regular basis. ;)

brewer12345 said:
Heh, not really. Knowitalls wither if someone doesn;t ask questions on a regular basis. ;)

That's why I keep asking.......... ;)

Dreamer,

Just so you know: you are allowed to ask as many questions as you want, but you are bound on penalty of death to share with the group any insights, surprising tidbits, or other shareable observations you glean from the process.

It's a two way street and those of us who haven't yet pulled the trigger await your soon-to-be-acquired wisdom, financial or otherwise.

Rich_in_Tampa

Just so you know: you are allowed to ask as many questions as you want, but you are bound on penalty of death to share with the group any insights, surprising tidbits, or other shareable observations you glean from the process.

In other words, ask as many questions as you want, but don't expect an answer to all. And we show no mercy to Newbie's, since death awaits those who do not conform.....

Now see what I've started.........I'm starting to feel like part of the gang already..........shoot from the hip people, today only..........I got my bullet proof vest on.

You think I'm pushing it a little??

My Dream said:
Rich_in_Tampa

In other words, ask as many questions as you want, but don't expect an answer to all. And we show no mercy to Newbie's, since death awaits those who do not conform.....

Precisely. Welcome to the asylum :LOL:

My Dream said:
Now see what I've started.........I'm starting to feel like part of the gang already..........shoot from the hip people, today only..........I got my bullet proof vest on.

You think I'm pushing it a little??

See! Your're feeling better already!!!!

Meadbh

Congratulations, you have earned your Early Retirement t-shirt and sandals!

Thanks for the Early Retirement t-shirt and sandals! Brat , I don't think I'm going to be able to wear it just yet. Although my decision has been made to retire, my DW has informed me that or outdoor BBQ which is over 21 years old as well as our microwave is on its last leg. When I mentioned before that we lived WBOM that meant that most of our appliances including furnace, hot water tank are still all around 22 to 24 years old. Heck my car has over 300,000 miles on it and I've been keeping it alive for years. This isn't a good time to be replacing all these items, but then again, when is a good time.

I'm going to have to figure something. How convenient or useful is a BBQ or a Microwave anyway? That's what I thought.

My Dream said:
I'm going to have to figure something. How convenient or useful is a BBQ or a Microwave anyway? That's what I thought.
22 years on a water heater?!? Ye gods, man, start shopping now. You might even get a tax credit if it reduces your energy use.

I shudder to think of what'll happen when you try that "convenient & useful" logic on your spouse as she confronts a cold shower...

Well Nords, I figure that we've spent about $2,500.00 in rental fees on the hot water heater over all those years so I'm pricing out a new one.

A microwave is an absolute necessity!!! The problem is that the beasty ones last forever.

The BBQ is useful when the oven and microwave break!

You could think about building yourself a low-cost BBQ with scrap bricks or cinderblocks..

Thanks for the suggestion ladelfina , first I'm going to take care of the natural gas hot water tank. I see one on sale this week and if I pick it up and install it myself, it will be paid off in about 2.5 years based on the rental amount I'm paying. Sure beats paying another $2,500.00 in rental fees during the life of the water tank.

I do believe I've gone off topic, hmm.

Back
Top Bottom